stencils

steveo017

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hello again guys and gals,

I have been looking at my next project that i would like to try here it is:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i want to do some thing like this but would like some advice on where can i get the stencils for the piles of skulls like he uses or some similar? or would i have to design my own?

any help would be awsome as ive never made stencils

Hello again guys and gals,

I have been looking at my next project that i would like to try here it is:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i want to do some thing like this but would like some advice on where can i get the stencils for the piles of skulls like he uses or some similar? or would i have to design my own?

any help would be awsome as ive never made stencils

@Russ Allen does stencils and hes a member here or ya can find him in facebook, Insane custom stencils

Every self respecting airbrush store has ton's of skull stencils so thats just a matter of having a look at some (online) stores.

Easiest way to make them yourself would be to gat a pic of a skull and use some kind of photo editing program to bring it back to 2 tones (mask posterise in photoshop). That would leave you with only black and white which onley leaves the cutting part :) (if you start gathering skull images from the web for this make sure they are all the same style).

Another option (what I did :p) is buy a medical skull, than you can take pics of it from any angle desired.

this guy only uses the masks as a loose reference to place the skulls and get a general layout (almost only shape, nose and eyes are cutout) and it's almost 100% freehand. Masks are an easy tool here but drawing them on would also have been a viable option (it's not the masks/stencils that make the painting here)

I did stencils myself:) I find the price for them a bit overpriced;) But there are some stencils that would be better to buy I mean different textures. I wouldn't ever start to cut those carbon fiber stencils!:D
But sculls are simple to make. I downloaded photo of the sculls or even pictures with stencils and worked over them in Corel Draw. Then printed A4 size stick to the mylar film and cut and that's it. Sculls are pretty easy to make. You can do any size you need for your project easily.
I saw someone on youtube just cut them from the paper and it worked also.

Sadly, the Seamonkey, is swamped in his life...working like a dog he is.
And yes, check with @Russ Allen , his stencils are flexable, which would be easier for you to use, if you choose to go that way. Air Sick Stencils, are more of a hard plastic, and they dont bend as easily.

Just make your own, get some mylar sheets if you want to keep them and re-use them. But I've made stencils out of acetate, or plastic wallets. If you only want to use them once or twice, even paper works just fine, plus they will be more individual.

Thanks for all the advice, ive been checking the internet and the stencils are a bit pricey TBH. So i will be looking for pictures of skulls and trying to group them to make my own. They are just for the shapes really anyway i want to freehand the rest.
I will post progress pics as i go along and hopefully i can get it right.

Thanks for all the advice, ive been checking the internet and the stencils are a bit pricey TBH. So i will be looking for pictures of skulls and trying to group them to make my own. They are just for the shapes really anyway i want to freehand the rest.
I will post progress pics as i go along and hopefully i can get it right.
@Seamonkey is the guy who did that. He actually used paper stencils he made himself on that project.
I personally have not bought stencils yet. There are a few i likely would, trxture stencils etc. Now if i was going to airbrush a lot of helmets autos etc i would absolutely buy some or the very least make some highly reusable ones.

While I don't really like using stencils, when you are wanting to do a lot of repeating images, it is really useful, and time saving. I wouldn't buy any though, they are so expensive. Having said that, I really want one of the grunge ones, not quite so easy to make a version of that lol.

Here are my first tries at skulls, IMG_1812.JPG IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1814.JPG , i know they not great. does anyone know where i can get some good quality skull referance pictures?

Im still struggling to start out light though, are there any skull SBS on here?

any advice would help me out please.

The skulls are ok. You can tell what they are so you have done ok. I get any references off the internet. Just google skulls and you will be going through them for hours.

Lee

I have tried another skull,IMG_1817.JPG it was done on Daler Rowney bristol board with redced wicked burnt umber.

Im still struggling to stop the spidering when trying to do the fine lines, i just cant seem to get it right at all.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Pull your needle out and make sure it's clean. When I get spiders it's because I have paint stuck to needle. I assume it causes uneven airflow. Just one solution you can check also might have paint to thin for the pressure that's another problem I get when spidering.

you're off to a good start,
spidering happens for a few reasons -
Pressure to high
Paint to thin
speed to slow
Geographical temperature conditions affecting paint flow
moons not aligned lol

trial and error will point you in the right direction

I have stencils for things that would be tedious to repeat, EG: textures, effects.

ah yes..... the old "misaligned moon/spidering problem" Fudge you seamonkey , fudge you!

The crack on top of the skull needs to curve with the skull so it looks 3d. Direction of texture adds a lot to the 3d effect. Id Google a good airbrushed skull and copy that for practice. I try to find airbrushed versions of my references, helps me see how others do it. Also for stencils, I just got a vinyl cutter which was soooo worth it for $200. But I used to cut my own stencils out of photo paper. It's thicker and paint wipes off. Works quite well for reusable stencils

I have tried another skull,View attachment 39659 it was done on Daler Rowney bristol board with redced wicked burnt umber.

Im still struggling to stop the spidering when trying to do the fine lines, i just cant seem to get it right at all.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Is that the skull master frontal stencil? I'm currently struggling to figure it out as well. The best way I've found for the finer areas is to way over reduce the paint (I'm using createx illustration, almost 2-4 : 1), then just slowly build up your lines. this way, if you don't get it right the first few times, its easy to cover, and you can build your tones stronger where you want them. If you extend the contour of the cheek bone in towards the nose more, and shade fairly dark underneath it, it will give the skull some more depth. As for spidering, usually for me that means I'm trying to put too much paint down at once, which could mean I'm holding the brush too close, or pulling back on the trigger too much, or going too slow, or my press is too high, or any combination of those along with the alignment of the moon.
skulls.jpg

Back