Stencils

M

Max Chickens

hey guys....just been looking online to buy some stencils to try out some realistic fire.....turns out that stencils can get pretty expensive....any of you guys made your own? i was thinking of getting some plastic thicker then an OHT....maybe something about as thick as a lunch box lid? any ideas?

ive got access to tools etc at work so was also thinking of cutting then out of sheets of stainless steel with tin snips and rounding off the edges with files? that could be a bit of a mission tho.

any ideas?

prolly should have put this thread in 'tips and tricks'...does anyone know how to move it?

You can easily get pictures of all the stencils on the net. You then just print them out and trace them onto your preferred surface and cut it out. I use the thickest tranparancies (overhead projector film) I can find and just cut it out with my exacto knife. I come from a sign writing background so I have learned to cut quite smoothly.

Tip: When you cut, rotate the object as you cut and cut in the same direction.

yeah i moved it to tips and tricks=)
Andreza.. i've done exactly what you do with the transparency paper.. use a sharp blade and cut the sucker out

i print them out on a paper and laminating it, using a cheap "home" laminating machine and after that a cut it out smoothing the edges with sandpaper if needed

I use a wax paper from hobby lobby for stencils, also use the plastic sheets, but the wax paper is half the price and thick. You can see through it to trace it and cuts much easier with a knife while rotating it as i cut. I have done countless flame jobs and still use the same ones. The paint will wipe off if you need it to but you shouldn't be putting a bunch of paint on the just a light mist to get your line then free hand the rest.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yep i cut all my own stencils now after watching how its done and wont buy another .Just make sure you have a good blade in your knife .

I made these today to put flames onto the wings on one of my planes, there made from leftover plastic from new vertical blinds I had in my bedroom.

I won't pay for anything if I can make it myself.
Stencils.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Malky,

Does that mean you get stencil shaped light shining through your blinds? haha

ive got access to tools etc at work so was also thinking of cutting then out of sheets of stainless steel with tin snips and rounding off the edges with files? that could be a bit of a mission tho.

any ideas?
this is really overkill and a lot more work than necessary. Personally I do the printout on normal paper and laminate as well, then cut cut cut.
True Fire stencils are this industries' greatest con, and a massive money spinner for the big companies. Doing your own allows you to create your own curves and this will give your fire your personal look. Just don't over use the stencils... the best true fire has a lot of freehand. JMO

I am only gonna buy some fine detail stencils, and circles. Nothing more, make the rest myself.
For fire and all that stuff it is not important to be exact like on cirkels. 1-2mm left or right, no one will see that.

I make them from show albums with thicker plastic,
177420.JPG
I can cut them with a sharp blade and sand them when needed.
I find the most stencils to wobly. Get two A4 size stencils for 2 bucks this way lol

Just print the stencils, stick m on the plastic and cut away :D

Hey there chicken. The very best stuff i have found is discarded xray sheets. Hospitals throw it out and they make enough mistakes so there is usually plenty available and the sheets are quite large. It's thick enough to last forever and not dangerous or radioactive. It's basically just a negative of a picture. I've never found anything better. Another thing i do in stencil making is using a wallpaper knife instead of those exacto knives. I'm talking about the ones that you can snap off the end when it dulls down. You can get them 2 or 3 for a dollar at the dollar stores and the exactos are much more expensive.

Anybody here remember fuzzy felt?

I bet if you bought some felt and cut that you would have a stencil that absorbed paint that ran whilst giving a good edge.

Anybody here remember fuzzy felt?

I bet if you bought some felt and cut that you would have a stencil that absorbed paint that ran whilst giving a good edge.

I think the paint being so thin would seep under it or go through it, you try it first and if it's successful, then I'll try, lol

I bought a Craft Robo Silhouette vinyl cutter (cuts paper, card etc.) for cutting lettering stencils 'cos I don't have a steady hand when using knives (that's why I'm not a surgeon), you can use any font on your computer with the software provided to cut out but some don't work as good as others, I cut various rows of circles for rivets, stars for highlights, angles for.......angles, it will also cut vector graphics although sometimes you have to check what is going to be cut out.

For stencil material I use "Plastic Pockets" I get a pack of 10 for a quid from Morrisons, cut the seams off and then I have ..............err.....20 yes, they're a bit flimsy but not too bad, I found if you spray the back with "Stick and Spray" (re-positional glue) it then acts like Frisket (lay it down peel it back reposition it etc.) leaves no residue either.

Try Chuck Bauman's website he had various True Fire stencil shapes for download and cut out.

Back