sticky air valve

E

EDGECRUSHER

my brush has been sitting a long time and for some insane reason it was allowed to sit with a film on it after cleaning. I actually started yelling because I assumed some troll had snuck into my shop and used it.

anyway, after further cleaning, sadly the air valve is sticking bad enough that it doesn't come up with my finger. Someone have a favorite solvent/lubricant or procedure for cleaning this hard to get at part without tearing it up? It's an Iwata HP-CS (Eclipse). (P.S. I had to yank hard on the needle to free it, hoping the seal is ok)

Sounds like a good cleaning and some super lube are in order . The o-ring in the air valve sounds like it dried out . Now I have never done this but have seen some of the pros put 1 drop of 3in1 oil in there to loosen up the sticky valve .

my brush has been sitting a long time and for some insane reason it was allowed to sit with a film on it after cleaning. I actually started yelling because I assumed some troll had snuck into my shop and used it.

anyway, after further cleaning, sadly the air valve is sticking bad enough that it doesn't come up with my finger. Someone have a favorite solvent/lubricant or procedure for cleaning this hard to get at part without tearing it up? It's an Iwata HP-CS (Eclipse). (P.S. I had to yank hard on the needle to free it, hoping the seal is ok)

The lubricant on the inside of the valve has simply hardened up some due to not being used for some time, remove the valve fro the airbrush and hose and take it apart, if it's anything like the Neo, that won't be difficult, if there are any rubber seals inside remove these first and then clean the remaining metal parts including the spring with turpentine or a strong degreaser, lightly re-lubricate any moving parts and re-assemble.

Tip: if you need to use pliers or such, apply a little electrical tape over the the serrated grips to avoid scratching your weapon.

after this little exercise, it's Satch Boogie all the way, lol

P.S. Careful dismantling is far better than "Tearing it up" and it sounds more professional, save "Tearing it up" for Saturday night in the bar, lol

thanks for the response.
I was thinking the 3in1 route also just don't want something that'll end up hard to get back out and mess with my paints.

as far as tearing it up, I am the type that knows or can figure out how just about everything works and is put together, yet I rather leave my baby alone if I can because, as far as airbrushes go, it seems they never work the same everytime I take it apart.

Kinda like the first motorcycle engine I rebuilt for a friend. He showed up and asked what the three long bolts were on my bench. I said I put a bolt in every hole I could find and that's just what's left over. LOL I never lived that one down! I think I was a teenager then and there was no internet to get manuals/specs or help.

Hey Edge if you take it apart like madbrush mentioned on a Eclipse series it doesnt come apart with pliers. You have to take it apart from inside on the bottom of your air valve. There is a little flat brass threaded style nut inside with two small holes on each side. Be super carefull when removing and replacing because there is a spring that will shoot that little guy across the room. You will be lucky to find it at that point!!! Haaaa!!! I would only do this as a last resort when nothing else works. I would try just applying some super lube first. That stuff does gum up after sitting for a minute. I have the same problem with mine and a drop of super lube usually fixes the problem. As for the needle getting stuck, sounds like you didn't clean it well enough and paint dried on your needle bearing which causes the needle to stick. Was there a bit of dried paint on your needle about where it would sit in the needle bearing?

^ YUP!

where is the super lube sold? is this a petroleum style lube or what? Just thinking I'd rather not take the air valve apart because I could see what you described happening when I looked at it. Maybe if I could just lay a drop of this lube on the valve while the brush is upside down then reattach the air line and blow that through it just may do the trick. Just hope I can find the proper lube...

is this what we're talking about?
Super Lube® Pneumatic Air Tool Oil Lubricant, 4 oz Bottle | Staples®
s0482501_sc7

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Edge, That's the one. The second picture you posted. I use a little bit on my needle as well. The other oils can end up getting in your paint through the air that goes through your airbrush and can cause a problem for you. If you use it I would make sure to hold your trigger open for a few seconds to try and blow it out first before just going right to your project. You might not have any problems but I would blow it out just to be safe. You know what I mean? The super lube wont have any problems if it does mix with your paint. I got mine through Coast Airbrush. Hope this helps.

Back