Straight from the bottle you say....

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
I read a lot that people say paint that they shoot paint XYZ straight from the bottle without reduction. But never do you hear at what pressure. I can shoot concrete through a hose pipe if you have enough pressure.

All the paints I have they say they same thing but none of them work like that at the pressure I like to work at.

So if you state that you shoot straight from the bottle or even if you do not, can you please mention the pressure you are using.

I've seen mention of T-shirt artists shooting createx at 60 psi with a 0.5 nozzle, I personally prefer 5 -10 psi with seriously over reduced paint just to hold back my heavy hand and gradually build up.

But I think the nozzle size will determine the pressure in the end, obviously the bigger the nozzle the less pressure needed.

Mad, it says that as well on the side of the Createx bottles. But I've seen many post of people almost bragging that "Oh I shoot straight from the bottle without reduction or spidering" Meanwhile he paints lightning fast at 60 PSI. I'm like you, I like very low pressure with very reduced paint with a tiny nozzle.

I was one of those that felt i was doing something wrong because I could not control a gun at 60psi and when I reduced I did not get coverage. If someone gives advise, give it properly with all the facts.

Etac efx is the only paint I've used so far that I have been able to spray straight from the bottle at a regular psi with minimal graining. .... but I still add modifier to increase transparency and a dash of water to improve flow. .. Andre you use com art alot don't you??? thought that was pretty good out of bottle.?

I prefer not to use paint neat if possible i cant get the control i need nor the ability to layer effectively and. ... is a hell of alot more expensive than water

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when it comes to painting fast, what you paint on is also important. I have noticed if I paint straight on paper or something absorbent, you have a lot more control with what is happening with the paint. If I paint on a prepped canvas (and depending on the prepping) the smoother the surface, the less pressure I have to use before I am making a spider web over the whole damn painting!

I tried spraying createx straight at around 50PSI with my Paasche VL.... needless to say, I was not very successful. I just wouldn't come out of the gun.

I usually use around 10psi(just a guess, using a Mac valve.) The reductions listed below work well in all my bushes.

Createx Illustration: 2:1 at least, sometimes more. I just reduce until I get a consistent fine line out if the brush.

Com-Art and ETAC EFX are pretty similar. Some can be sprayed straight out of the bottle. The others I reduce about 20% or so.

This is for minimum reduction. Most cases they are reduced more for doing very subtle detail and fades.

Do you actually want to shoot straight from the bottle?

It might be a different story for t-shirts where time is money but for anyother work the amount with which you reduce yourpaint can greatly affect the result. I normaly work from light to dark and tend to over reduce my paint a lot. Shooting a color straight from the bottle (especialy with opaques) will just put that color there nomatter how carefully you are with the amount of paint and air pressure. When you reduce your paint you'll be applying a lot less pigment which gives one greater control with the amount of paint one applies. When I go into an area that just has to be dark (or a speciffic collor) I'll try to reduce as little as possible as it just has to be dark or that color. For me if I want to shoot straight from the bottle or want it reduced depends on what I'm doing. It will be pretty difficult to shoot straight from the bottle with the smaller nozzles (<0.2), especialy with the createx t-shirt paint. From 0.3-0.4 nozzles on you can spray about anypaint straight from the bottle.

What airpressure do you use?

Its a question thats asked a lot on forums, airpressure howerver is another tool to use and if one is constantly airbrushing at the same pressure one is missing out on that. As I often reduce my paint a lot I'll have to reduce my airpresure to next to nothing when I go in close to do fine detail work (else I'll just blow the paint all over the place). When I paint at a larger distance I'll up the presure. My compressor is at 2,5 bar (waaaay too much), but I have a little valve on the hose to regulate pressure and am constantly adjusting that to what I need for what I'm doing at that speciffic time.

I have limited experience, but these are what I have used so far:
SpectraTex straight out of the bottle around 30-40 PSI on shirts (with Vega 2000 .3 needle)
Standard Createx straight out of the bottle around 40-50 PSI on shirts (with Vega 2000 .3 needle)
E-Tac FX straight out of the bottle around 5 - 10 PSI With (Badger Chrome)

Mad, it says that as well on the side of the Createx bottles. But I've seen many post of people almost bragging that "Oh I shoot straight from the bottle without reduction or spidering" Meanwhile he paints lightning fast at 60 PSI. I'm like you, I like very low pressure with very reduced paint with a tiny nozzle.

I was one of those that felt i was doing something wrong because I could not control a gun at 60psi and when I reduced I did not get coverage. If someone gives advise, give it properly with all the facts.

LOL, I get what your saying, it is indeed frustrating when you don't see all the facts, I have only ever used Schminke aerocolor which I'm sure you know is pre thinned and ready to use out of the bottle, but you need around 20 to 30 psi to do that, I can't say what my ratio's are exactly because I basically just add one drop paint to around anywhere between 0 to 30,000 drops of water, lol

And from the sound of it, due to your frustration it sounds like your "shooting from the hip", lol

This is my opinion, if it's possible to shoot straight from the bottle, why do we need expensive airbrushes? simply paint straight from the bottle.

I tried one of my airbrushes at 60 psi once and stabbed myself in the heart because of the kickback.

None of the amazing works you produce could ever be possible at that pressure, and I doubt anyone could do a half decent portrait at that either, stick with what you know and what works for you, I've seen nothing in your work that says you need to change

Back