stupid newbie mistakes

P

pugster

well this is not so much as a 'help needed' post as more of a newbie rant due to a stupid mistake (i could not find a mad rant area mods delete any swearing as you see fit)

...just decided to put the finishing touches on a painting ive been working on (i only get to practice once or twice a week so each one has a few hours in it as im still learning)
...ok , white paint in brush - i think i'll get away with masking just an inch or so over where im working at low pressure... looks good take the tape off and the whole bloody thing has a light white overspray across it .

motherforkingbarstewardtimewastingexcerciseyousillycountrypersonyouforkeditrightup

.....other than that the area i worked on looks ok , note to self - mask EVERYTHING off you are not working on in the future, even the damn easel.

Last edited by a moderator:
One day [maybe!} I'll post a pic of my easel.
Then you'll know why I'm Splasha!
If that's the case I should be called "Ripper" after ripping all the paint of my latest piece with the masking ......
I was told "show me a man who makes no mistakes and I will show you the man who does nothing!" .... Is the overspray really bad?

If that's the case I should be called "Ripper" after ripping all the paint of my latest piece with the masking ......
I was told "show me a man who makes no mistakes and I will show you the man who does nothing!" .... Is the overspray really bad?
Heat gun/hair dryer on the tape as you peel - I learnt this as I would have once been called ripper also!

As for over spray, you could try an eraser very lightly, being careful not to remove the work underneath, or if possible, take a very diluted paint the same colour as what's been over sprayed and lightly go over it, turning air pressure as low as possible?
These may or may not work, but give them a go before getting too hacked off. (one thing I've learned is that a lot of mistakes when airbrushing can be quickly sorted, no matter how bad they originally look).

well this is not so much as a 'help needed' post as more of a newbie rant due to a stupid mistake (i could not find a mad rant area mods delete any swearing as you see fit)

...just decided to put the finishing touches on a painting ive been working on (i only get to practice once or twice a week so each one has a few hours in it as im still learning)
...ok , white paint in brush - i think i'll get away with masking just an inch or so over where im working at low pressure... looks good take the tape off and the whole bloody thing has a light white overspray across it .

motherforkingbarstewardtimewastingexcerciseyousillycountrypersonyouforkeditrightup

.....other than that the area i worked on looks ok , note to self - mask EVERYTHING off you are not working on in the future, even the damn easel.
Hi pugster, I feel your pain Lol.! But as we do have some younger members I did tweak your post a bit. I think the general impression you were slightly peeved still comes across though!

"you silly country person....."
Well done editing...lol. my arse off when I read the new version

Ha, nice creative editing :)
yeah the over spray basically went everywhere and as it was a nightsky scene and the overspray was white (except where i masked) it looked awful.
another lesson learned and another thing to try out (im trying copydex rubber masking the area i was working on and re-going over the entire back ground again ) , either way ive learnt something new.

it was the scene i was working on where i asked about perspective in another thread , basically a night sky nebula background with mountains and i painted in a set of open windows (Trompe-l'oeil style) , i has masked around and was putting the finishing touches to the window frames , as i was working at only around 12 psi i thought i would get away with masking only an inch around the frames.

Pressure issues?
Yeah, had a couplle of them in the past [recent] now got rainbow tinted blinds!

i painted my workspace too, cause i shook a com art bottle i did not realize its open - unfotunately rose colour:(

i forgot about this mad rant i made and im still in the process of pretty much re-doing this piece , i usually photograph each time i work on a piece because as a newbie i find it helps to look at it another day and 'stand back' to see what needs correcting or doing better - this is the last pic i took of the piece and i was actually about 2 stages infront (i had put some detail into the mountains and spent more time on the sky, you can see where i had marked out the window frame before i buggered it up)
IMG_0649_zps7d1e086f.jpg

well i started to re work this again today, put the basic frames in and used copydex to cover them , started working on the sky again but then realised the whole sky now seems to have lost its 'vibrance' and is dull and flat looking -i think i may have to scrap this one - over paint and sand the canvas and start again , either that or finish it and hope that using a gloss varnish will pull some life back into it.

IMG_0685_zps7ed90db1.jpg

while i still had the gear out i thought i'd use my soldering iron on some acetate to cut out some basic cloud shapes and have a play at my first nebula -lots of mistakes i could see (once i'd done them ) but i like the overall colour of it so will probably try an A2 sized one this weekend on some black foamboard i have.
IMG_0687_zps1f8e0487.jpg

Back