For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Substrate paint adhesion

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by DAJ, Nov 8, 2018.

1. DAJ

DAJ Young Tutorling

Hey Gang,
    I'm looking to get some feedback from all of the experienced artist here. I myself have many years of experience paint many different objects over the years, but one issue that tends to drive me crazy. EDGES. Hockey masks, visors, flight masks, etc. Plastic, fiberglass you name it. Clearly there is a level of care that needs to be taken with painted edges just due to the area for the primer, sealer, paint , clear to adhere to, but I'm sure there have to be some products/ processes that hold up better than others. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I usually spray AutoAir, Wicked paints. Clears and primers vary. Thanks in advance,
    jord001 likes this.
  2. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Edges are awkward things. All I can recommend is always spray them first on every coat. Minimal gentle sanding is your best friend as you will go through to the base substrate super quick compared to other areas. This rule applies for any paints or coatings you use. I cant recommend any specific paints or products as I don't really spray a lot but I hope this helps a bit.

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  3. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

You may want to round over the edge as it will help keep paint from chipping so easy , Unlike a square or sharp edgeit gives the paint a larger area to stick to.
    Squishy, doc1 and SiRoxx like this.
  4. DAJ

DAJ Young Tutorling

Thanks for the feedback
    basepaint likes this.