Substrate Preparation

S

Shredder

Just tried my first airbrush testing with trident water paints over a sprayed gloss acrylic lacquer background. Bascially I could wipe it off with my finger so Im guessing I didnt prepare the surface correctly.

I figure I might try giving the surface a really light sand with ultra fine sandpaper so the paint has something to grab onto. Is there anything esle you'd recommend doing?

Also, What would be best to use as a top clear top? I was going to use acrylic laquer on that as well but Ive been reading a lot of recommendations on a clear urethane. Is there anything I need to watch out for when using the urethane clear over the waterbased acrylic artwork on acrylic lacquer substrate?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Trident re-wets very easily , Make sure you heat set the paint.
Red Scotch bright pad will scuff the surface just fine for you art .
Clear Urethane work fine , But what type of surface are you painting it on?
Wood , Metal, canvas?
Also make sure you are where a mask with Trident, or any paint for that matter.

Trident re-wets very easily , Make sure you heat set the paint.
Red Scotch bright pad will scuff the surface just fine for you art .
Clear Urethane work fine , But what type of surface are you painting it on?
Wood , Metal, canvas?
Also make sure you are where a mask with Trident, or any paint for that matter.
Might be a silly question but what does "re-wet" mean? Respraying over dry paint?
By "heat set" do you mean blowing it with a heat gun / hair dryer?
The surface Im working on is wood (a guitar)
Hmm Ok I havent been wearing a mask with trident... will make sure I do so from now on ... thanks :)

Might be a silly question but what does "re-wet" mean? Respraying over dry paint?
By "heat set" do you mean blowing it with a heat gun / hair dryer?
The surface Im working on is wood (a guitar)
Hmm Ok I havent been wearing a mask with trident... will make sure I do so from now on ... thanks :)

Re-wet simply means until you heat set it, it is reversible, for example if you wet it you can clean it off or at the very least smudge it, so yes going over it again would lift the previous layer

I've never used trident paints but assuming it is water based, it is unpractical to apply it too a gloss surface without some prior preparation, as you say scuffing or very light sanding, scotch brite is best since there is little chance of seeing scratches through your work.

I just noticed your working on a guitar, I would advise a good primer with high adhesion properties before actually spraying straight on top of the guitars original finish.

I just noticed your working on a guitar, I would advise a good primer with high adhesion properties before actually spraying straight on top of the guitars original finish.
Thanks for the tips. I'll grab some scoth brite and have another go, then hit it with a heat gun to set it. I stripped the guitar back to wood, gave it a few under/putty coats then 3 coats of gloss black acrylic lacquer.

Thanks for the tips. I'll grab some scoth brite and have another go, then hit it with a heat gun to set it. I stripped the guitar back to wood, gave it a few under/putty coats then 3 coats of gloss black acrylic lacquer.

If I had done myself I would have hit with matt instead of gloss and then cleared coat after the work was finished, but you can still hit it with matt if you lightly sand the gloss first.

You've given yourself more work than was needed, it wasn't necessary to go back to wood, this is only needed if you want to keep the wood effect, if you plan to cover the whole thing in paint, sanding it to give it a key is usually sufficient.

If I had done myself I would have hit with matt instead of gloss and then cleared coat after the work was finished, but you can still hit it with matt if you lightly sand the gloss first.

You've given yourself more work than was needed, it wasn't necessary to go back to wood, this is only needed if you want to keep the wood effect, if you plan to cover the whole thing in paint, sanding it to give it a key is usually sufficient.
Thanks, will definately try that next time ... I busted my nuts getting all the paint off ;)

Back