Surface

matty171

Air-Valve Autobot!
Hi all
Ive been asked to do a few pieces which im actually gonna get paid for ( yipee first paid jobs :) ) but as lfe just loves to kick you in the nuts i seem to have damaged my nozzle and need to replace it, so while i wait for it to arrive i was wondering what to paint these on. The clients, so to speak have said they arnt fussed, big help lol. Ive been doin my paintings on thin card at the min but have noticed it buckles if too much is sprayed on, i got a couple of foam boards to try but dont really like the surface becuase 1. its easily scored n 2. If erasing it also leaves a visable mark, sooooo after all that im thinking of using thick card then they can frame them themselves, so i guess my question is does anybody have suggestions as to were i can purchase decent card from of tinternet, im in belfast so it would need to be britain but suggestions from any other part of the world are welcome aswel
Peace

Ride the storm

Not sure where to get it, but Schollershammer 4G board or paper is the best stuff, it holds up great to scratching and erasing. I am sure there must be a UK supplier, or check SM Design , they are in Ireland.

Thanks wml i couldnt remember the name of that stuff, id seen it on a few threads. SM Design are very expensive with thier shipping, its actually cheaper to get stuff shipped from england.
Thanks again pal much appreciated

Ride the storm

A cheap alternative is to buy some 5mm MDF board..You can get quite large sheets of it from most hardware stores, cut it to the size you want and base it white..The 600x900mm sheets used to cost me around $5 though they are prob more expensive these days and I'd cut this in half and have 2 good sized canvases..Cheap spray can white would be enough to cover both boards and cost me around $4 a can..A good sand and scuff, finished of with some 1200 grit wet and dry and you have yourself two large panels, prepped and primed for under $10..They are sturdy and can easily support themselves on the easel which is good if your the type that flips their painting, their easy to frame or hang, plus they have most of the benefits that higher costing boards have like erasing and a good surface for scratching techniques..It almost paints like it does on metal if you prime it right...Anyway its more work prepping them yourself but hopefully that gives you an easy alternative that should be available to you..

A cheap alternative is to buy some 5mm MDF board..You can get quite large sheets of it from most hardware stores, cut it to the size you want and base it white..The 600x900mm sheets used to cost me around $5 though they are prob more expensive these days and I'd cut this in half and have 2 good sized canvases..Cheap spray can white would be enough to cover both boards and cost me around $4 a can..A good sand and scuff, finished of with some 1200 grit wet and dry and you have yourself two large panels, prepped and primed for under $10..They are sturdy and can easily support themselves on the easel which is good if your the type that flips their painting, their easy to frame or hang, plus they have most of the benefits that higher costing boards have like erasing and a good surface for scratching techniques..It almost paints like it does on metal if you prime it right...Anyway its more work prepping them yourself but hopefully that gives you an easy alternative that should be available to you..

Thanks reble ill check that out

Ride the storm

Back