Synthetic paper

Jimmyfingerz

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello
I’ve laid off a few days with asking questions as I don’t want to start doing peoples heads in :lipssealed:
But.......... when using synthetic paper what pencil grade do people like to lay their outline down with.
I used a 2b pencil for the sketch of a painting i’m doing on Lana Vanguard paper with illustration paint and you can see the pencil marks through the paint even though its quite a heavy coat.
I have got to coat more paint over so hopefully they will dissapear.
I wasn’t heavy with the pencil when I sketched on it so i’m surprised you can still see them.

you have a couple of options,
1) once you've got your sketch done just go over it with an eraser to lighten it as much as possible
2) use a water colour pencil in a similar colour to what you are going to paint.

I did go over it with an eraser to get it as light as possible but it just kept smudging so it was hard work.
Water colour pencil is not a bad shout Jack, i’ll grab a box tomorrow.
Thank you , you’re amazing :cool:

I did go over it with an eraser to get it as light as possible but it just kept smudging so it was hard work.
Water colour pencil is not a bad shout Jack, i’ll grab a box tomorrow.
Thank you , you’re amazing :cool:

lol, its just info that i've gained from around the forum, its not 'my' idea at all.

I use either an hb or a 2h if it is lines to show a shadow area I may even use a 5h or 7h . But Being when I learned Drafting many many years ago line weight was how you showed different thing on a blue print ,, Now that is all did with Cad programs and plotter LOL .

I use either an hb or a 2h if it is lines to show a shadow area I may even use a 5h or 7h . But Being when I learned Drafting many many years ago line weight was how you showed different thing on a blue print ,, Now that is all did with Cad programs and plotter LOL .

Do you think mayber the reason for the smudging was the soft graphite?

Probably locally i’ll be able to source derwent watercolour and that will be about it but for what I want it for it will do I would imagine.

The problem with graphite is that paint does not stick to it and it does not really stick/bond to the paper and definitely not synthetic paper (that is why graphite artist use a sealant/fixative when they are done). If you lay it super thick you might cover it and keep it down. You can always try a light coloured permanent marker.

Back