Takumi SBS Eclipse

So I've got one of these Takumi cup bases and an H&S CR+ micro-cup in hand now, and I want to post some clarification to what DaveG said:

- The H&S cup doesn't fit perfectly. The threads match, but the threaded section on the H&S cup is shorter than the threaded section in the Iwata base, so there's a gap of about 1mm inside the cup, instead of the parts meeting flush. This is why Dave has that black O-ring in there: you need something like that to fill that gap.

- Neither the white teflon H&S cup O-rings, nor the red rubber Neo cup O-rings will fit in there. Both are too large in diameter for the bottom of the Takimu cup. The Neo can be crammed in there since the material is compressible and the ring cross section is thinner, but its cross section is thinner than the gap, so it engages by rippling rather than actually sealing. The H&S ones cannot fit at all without folding/pinching a significant bit of section into the cup, so they're a total no-go. You will need to source different O-rings in order to use H&S cups with the Iwata base.

*Edit- The silicone keyboard switch O-rings I've successfully used elsewhere on my brushes don't work either: they're too small in diameter.

Last edited:
yeah, I get tired of writing the same thing over and over on all the sites, and pages, so sometimes miss stuff...

If you use the O-ring that is on the OEM cup, it seals at the top of the base, or just below the top portion of the cu, or Micro-ring - so a gap at the bottom does not matter. However, I don't care for a seal at OEM location at all, as paint will get in the threads -so, this is what I wrote elsewhere -

"...I learned once I started using a NEO and a Grex, that I much prefer a seal at the base of the color cup threads than at the root (top of the threads) the way these cups come. There is a re-seal kit available for the H&S Infinity (and similar models) that has a teflon ring that fits in the brush body for the color cup, that the threads will seal against when the cup is screwed in. It is the white ring pictured on the left of the photo. If you don't have the re-seal kit available, a 1mm CS x 6.5mm ID O-ring will also fit perfectly in the base of the threaded hole. You may have to replace the ring occasionally if you use solvents, or aggressive cleaners... If you want to use an O-ring that fits the cup or Micro Ring the same way as OEM, you will need a 0.8mm CS x 7.5mm ID O-ring"

with this photo -

takumi cup1.jpg

For further clarity: the O-ring from the H&S seal kit Dave is talking about above must not be the same one that's sold separately in packs of 3. The latter is what I got, and it doesn't fit. Both are white teflon, and probably look close to identical in photos, so it's a potential gotcha.

Looking at the catalog parts and compatibility lists, they look like they're supposed to be the same O-ring. So either they actually aren't (but not in a way that matters for H&S brushes), or my Takumi cup base was machined to different measurements than Dave's.

One really cool thing about this tiny cup is it doesn't need a lid: surface tension alone is enough to keep the paint firmly in the cup.

Last edited:
I have no idea beyond the H&S seal is what came out of the re-seal kits I have for an Infinty, and a Hansa 181. I will drop recommending that one to avoid confusion, and simply suggest this one - a 1mm CS x 6.5mm ID O-ring .

That seems right.

I tried measuring, but my calipers are not up to the task (they are old ones made with decimal inches in mind, and don't do sub-mm metric well). It seems like 8 or 8.5mm OD is the important measurement to not exceed. The H&S cup threads have an OD of 8.5mm, and the H&S O-ring is 9mm OD, while the O-ring "notch" at the bottom of the Takumi cup threads is no wider than the threads (and is actually is slightly narrower, as the threads go all the way down, but become shallower in the last mm, giving the illusion of an O-ring notch where there technically isn't one). Rubber O-rings will have enough squish to tolerate shallow threads at 8.5mm OD, but the more rigid teflon would need to be 8mm.

measuring the OD of the threads is not required - you only need to know the ID of the threaded portion of the Takumi cup base. You want the OD of whatever seal you use to JUST fit the ID of the cup threads, and you will be good to go.

I was tempted to order the Takumi SBS Eclipse but then I noticed the trigger that looks very much like the cm v2 trigger and Dave confirmed it is the same trigger .
the one and only reason I bought the CM SB v2 when it came out was the fact I didnt have the full control off my trigger finger back and it was the perfect trigger for me but times have changed and I now have more or less the full control of my trigger finger back and I changed out all triggers on my airbrushes out for low triggers except for the mr hobby side feed as I cant find a good low trigger that will fit that airbrush and I find myself avoiding that airbrush just for that even now I have shaved off the rop off the trigger I still find it to high for my needs .
The new side cup looks tempting but the cups are big and I have no problems with the "normal" side cups so all in all I decided this is not the airbrush for me

I have tried the white teflon seal from the sealing kit for Infinity and the ones sold in packs of 3 from H&S. Neither fit in the bottom of the cup of the Takumi. Since I only use waterbased paints I use a 1mm CS x6,5 mm ID O-ring as Dave recommends. Cleaning paint out of those fine threads is a PITA, it's just easier to change the O-ring from time to time. I got the Takumi Eclipse for my birthday from my wife and I just love how close I can get for details. It's almost like using a pencil. :)

Out of curiosity DaveG, where did you find the Eclipse Takumi on the Tag Team Hobbies website? It doesn't seem to be in the Eclipse section and the SBS in the Micron section I believe is the older style brush.

Unless I don't see it there is no search box for the site to look for it.

Out of curiosity DaveG, where did you find the Eclipse Takumi on the Tag Team Hobbies website? It doesn't seem to be in the Eclipse section and the SBS in the Micron section I believe is the older style brush.

Unless I don't see it there is no search box for the site to look for it.

Use the "contact us" button - Tom's wife recently passed, so I don't think updating his site was such a priority. I chat with him on FB as we are members of a couple of groups together.

Oh, so sorry to hear that. My sympathy to the family. I'm not on FB so I probably miss a lot.

Thank you for the information Dave.

I looked it up on a different website. I shows it comes with an 0.35mm needle/nozzle. Is that the one that came in yours DaveG? For what I do that would probably work. It certainly looks like a nice brush and my skill set isn't near a Custom Micron.

For me it was worth every cent. The response is fast and precise and I can get in tighter for details. It is not so finky with reductions as other brushes are. It works for me but that is my personal opinion:thumbsup:

I made a post under the Micron Takumi thread that should probably at least also be here, in this thread -https://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/anyone-try-the-takumi-micron-yet.24123/

Yes, the Eclipse Takumi is a .35 - they did not change needle or nozzle. The body is shortened between the trigger and paint feed hole. For me, the change on this brush make it a completely different animal than the older version. This will be a brush that I use a LOT.

I had planned on adding a custom H&S next but I think I will get one of these Eclipses instead:thumbsup:. Could be just the ticket. And it costs lesslol.

Thank you Joe, now I‘m saving to get the Takumi Micron. It would be my first Micron. I had the chance of trying an Micron SB from a friend and loved it. So my thoughts were to get the Takumi and have it as a Set with the Eclipse. I guess AAD got to melol

Back