Talon Question

KurtH

Double Actioner
I have a Paasche Talon I do not use very much. I wanted to see if anyone else has observed the same behavior which caused me to not like this airbrush very much.

It seems to me that with this airbrush, the medium needle set up specifically, that the taper of the needle and nozzle is such that paint does not seem to flow until I pull the trigger 3/4 of the way back, and then it is like a switch, It is as though there is very little control of the paint flow. I use several other badger airbrushes, and a grex, and the flow of paint is much more gradual.

So I am doing something wrong, or that is just the way the Talon is designed.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's by design, more like error. Mostly seems those brushes are simply hit or miss. Probably yours let's the nozzles sit a little deep in the aircap or some other defect.

The secret to these is to not tighten the cap all the way but just snug it ...or even less than snug. The trick is to turn the cap so the tip is center in the hole of the cap. I use the #2 set up all the time. This is always my go to brush for detail....
Another thing to do is to spray water or cleaner, and set your needle in the tip just so it stops spraying. You can set the cap using this method also, by looking at how it sprays....on an angle, turn your cap a little until it sprays even... after you set the needle...
I hope I explained this proper for you.

Yeah you use the nozzle cap to focus the pattern like you would a camera lens. I think this is by accident, maybe design. It's because Paasche has such poor machining standards, no two nozzles are the same.

Yeah you use the nozzle cap to focus the pattern like you would a camera lens. I think this is by accident, maybe design. It's because Paasche has such poor machining standards, no two nozzles are the same.
Its not the nozzles (tip) that are off, but the caps.....These components are not machined together to match.

I think I follow what you are saying

So to be clear, I will use this picture to ensure I have the terminology straight:

2v2JMWKMjx9awpY.jpg

The Cap is circled in Blue, the Tip in Red.

Thanks for your assistance!

I still have a talon from about 10 years ago lying around as a reminder never to buy one again , I used it for about an hour or so and it sprayed just fine for the first 15 minutes but it went south on my real fast . my problem was that the materials used for the nozzle are were real low grade and when I tried to clean the nozzle like I do with my micron it cracked and I never bothered to get a new nozzle for it

I agree with Tony @twood I only use the #2 setup in mine, tried the #1 and it was rubbish. Don't tighten the air cap too tight, you can use it to fine tune the airbrush. There I see a chance you have a Friday afternoon brush and is not built a school well although the quality of the parts etc does seem a bit hit and miss sometimes. Let us know how you get on. Stick with the 2 setup.

Lee

I think I follow what you are saying

So to be clear, I will use this picture to ensure I have the terminology straight:

2v2JMWKMjx9awpY.jpg

The Cap is circled in Blue, the Tip in Red.

Thanks for your assistance!

Yup...you got it....You can also remove the end piece from the cap (blue circle). It will make it easier to see the tip as it sits in the cap...

I agree with Tony @twood I only use the #2 setup in mine, tried the #1 and it was rubbish. Don't tighten the air cap too tight, you can use it to fine tune the airbrush. There I see a chance you have a Friday afternoon brush and is not built a school well although the quality of the parts etc does seem a bit hit and miss sometimes. Let us know how you get on. Stick with the 2 setup.

Lee

I do not like my #1 set up either. I do like the #3 set up for laying down base or Candies. It can put down a lot of paint for little effort. Its like a fire hose...lol

Thank you for the suggestions. I did what you said, and I was able to make this airbrush work a lot better. I just had a little trouble getting used to the trigger.

@twood did a great job explaining that mess :)
Golden info for those things

If you look at the knurled piece right before the chuck for tightening the needle, it is adjustment for the spring tension for the trigger. Counter clockwise (out towards the chuck) is less.....

Thanx @Robbyrockett2 This was my first airbrush and it did take me a bit to figure it out. A lot of folks hate these, but not me...lol

If you look at the knurled piece right before the chuck for tightening the needle, it is adjustment for the spring tension for the trigger. Counter clockwise (out towards the chuck) is less.....

Thanx @Robbyrockett2 This was my first airbrush and it did take me a bit to figure it out. A lot of folks hate these, but not me...lol
I've considered one for the versatility but I probably won't try it unless I happen on one cheap.

Sorry for my spelling imperfections in my last post, I was on my iPad and it does auto-correct some words, so although I cant think of the word i was using but i can confirm "school" wasn't it lol.

Glad you got it working better @KurtH they are a good AB in general, you just have to fiddle with them a bit sometimes.

I like the Talon too and it works for me real well. I brought mine because Mike Learn brought out the Mojo III which is Paasche Talon based and because I had the v2 Richpen Mojo which was so good I wanted the new version but couldn't afford one, so I got a standard Talon and the #1 setup. As i said , soon shelved #1 setup and went back to #2 setup which actually worked.
@twood said he uses the #3 setup for heavier applications so I may order the #3 setup and a fan cap when I have the spare cash.

Lee

Back