Teflon tape on nozzle?

C

centralclb

Was watching Jaime Rodriguezs video about tips and tricks and he reccomended putting Teflon tape on the nozzle threads to ensure a tight seal. My question is: since I take that off frequently to clean my brush, will the tape hold up, do I need to re-tape it every time, or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks

If you have a pressure escape in the nozzle you will experiment inconstant paint flow and you can solve it with teflon.
Jamie Rodriguez use it to replace a rubber o-ring because the solvent based paints affects the rubber but no the teflon.
I use it because I'm always afraid of overtight the nozzle and break something , the teflon tape let me leave the nozzle not so tight

Was watching Jaime Rodriguezs video about tips and tricks and he reccomended putting Teflon tape on the nozzle threads to ensure a tight seal. My question is: since I take that off frequently to clean my brush, will the tape hold up, do I need to re-tape it every time, or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks

As Diego said you only want to use the tape if you have a rubber seal and you want to use uro's, if you are using water based paints you don't to do this.

But to add to this, you should only remove your nozzle if a full strip down in necessary or you have a clog and blasting won't move it.

If you frequently blast cleaner thorough your gun you shouldn't have a problem.

To help you avoid the need fro frequent strip downs, filter your paint before use, I mix my colours before starting a project and put my colours into a squeeze/dropper bottle, before replacing the lid or dropper on the bottle I put a small square of old pantihose over the neck of the bottle which means my paint is being filtered also as I work, I replace this home made filter at the start of each day since the paint dries onto the old one overnight.

Using this tip and optimal paint thickness and air pressure will minimise the need for unnecessary strip downs.

Note that over frequent removal and replacement of your nozzle will eventually affect the fit making it difficult to get a good seal no matter how much tape you use.

Thanks

I recently teflon taped most of my airbrushes and found it provided great results. Try this test with your airbrush: apply some soapy water or windex around the nozzle cap and then press the trigger. If the soapy water/windex forms bubbles around the nozzle cap, you are loosing air that should be flowing out the front of your airbrush. This can affect the performance of the airbrush to some degree. I previously used bees wax or chap stick to seal the threads, but it never provided a 100% bubble free seal. Then I tried the teflon tape and that worked great. No more air leaks. Airbrushes work on the Bernoulli principle, that is, the nozzle increases air flow speed, thereby decreasing pressure, which is what sucks the paint out the front of the airbrush. Any air leaks will interupt the Bernoulli effect to some degree and can affect perfomance. To be honest, I can't say there will be a huge difference in the performance of the airbrush by using the teflon tape, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

it will wear and i spoke to dave moning himself and he suggests using badger bees wax teflon tape can if put on to heavy upset sensitive distances between parts and can also cause clogs

I recently teflon taped most of my airbrushes and found it provided great results. Try this test with your airbrush: apply some soapy water or windex around the nozzle cap and then press the trigger. If the soapy water/windex forms bubbles around the nozzle cap, you are loosing air that should be flowing out the front of your airbrush. This can affect the performance of the airbrush to some degree. I previously used bees wax or chap stick to seal the threads, but it never provided a 100% bubble free seal. Then I tried the teflon tape and that worked great. No more air leaks. Airbrushes work on the Bernoulli principle, that is, the nozzle increases air flow speed, thereby decreasing pressure, which is what sucks the paint out the front of the airbrush. Any air leaks will interupt the Bernoulli effect to some degree and can affect perfomance. To be honest, I can't say there will be a huge difference in the performance of the airbrush by using the teflon tape, but it certainly won't hurt anything.
I agree, I put a loop or 2 of teflon tape around all the threads on my badger velocity, the renegade series, like must badgers, has a drop in self centering nozzle so there is no need to put tape here.......I found it makes a great difference, quicker response from pulling trigger to actually seeing paint.....sure whenever I strip my brush I redo the teflon but its no big job to be honest

Theres no harm in using teflon tape...If your sure what you are doing..The tape has to go on the right way or it will bunch in the threads..If it does bunch or if you put the tape on too thick you may cross thread the nozzle which isn't good, be careful not to use the yellow plumbers teflon tape..Its much thicker :(..Used lightly it will assist sealing any potential airleaks but again be careful in its use, You shldn't have to replace it every time but it will eventually need replacing, the teflon can get messy once it starts to degrade through taking the part of and on so it may indeed get into the wrong spot and cause a few issues, bees wax or a chap stick, even a dob of vaseline may do just as good a job and is easier to re-apply so perhaps consider these alternatives as mentioned above..good luck.

Back