That Red Head

Haha the perfect Jack. I reckon we start thread jack awards for jack of the month.
That's going to happen.
Diego- illustration paints are all considered transparents except white. Arguably pigment based paints shouldn't be called transparents because they're not transparent.
Any color I've laid down so far has had white mixed in which means that every color to this stage was opaque!
:)
And babies come from Stalks.. vagetables.

I beg to differ Mitch, my kids were hatched, alien style, big gory hanging freak pod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is a great how too , Thanks Mitch.
No worries Herb, i'm glad someone appreciates it :)

Step whatever.
I took this photo to demonstrate yet more use of frisket, very important around the teether and mouth area. What you're seeing here is the result of a mistake, i quickly dusted a colour over the teeth - a straight black or something like that just to put a bit of pigment on, but the color came out too green and too dark. Great so i ruined the whole picture. Started to erase the paint off but what do you know? the SchoellersHammer didn't want to let go of it's pigment buddies. So i got black marks on the teeth. At this stage she was looking like a meth addict.
So i stepped back, punched a hole in the wall with my head, collected myself and i was back. I matched the colour, i just went back to the drawing board and began with white - it was incredibly difficult to match! like a light blue.
I cut out the frisket mask of the teeth and covered them in straight white - then i put the new color on top. After moving the frisket and backmasking the teeth, this is the photo i took.
redhead18.jpg

Step awesome.
grabbed the lip color and put it down where it needed to go, created some textures as a base, then went over with the darker lip color - so these lips have only 2 colors in them. actually i lie there's a sepia aswell which you can see in the dark corner of her mouth - so that's really not rocket science, just put the colors where they belong and build up your textures where required. If you create too many textures, simply spray the original color over the top.
And that was it - after the teeth incident i thought i'll stop here.
redhead19.jpg

Step what did we learn.
No i look at the picture and i was attempting photorealism, probably with a bit too much confidence. The reference picture could have been better, however i didn't realise it at the time, that's a fantastic excuse but i couldn't see why i hadn't got the result i was after. I've since checked out the image and where i've messed up is that i've painted 'what i know, not what i saw'. That's an important lesson taken away from the Dru course - take a close look at her nose, the lines are too perfect - the reference sort of showed that but i created it that way. When i zoomed in on the computer i found in fact there was no line there, only white texture which when you step back resembles a line.
So this is something i've taken away from this portrait, while the colours where spot on, i did my best, didn't quite get there, but learnt some lessons to get me where i'd like to be. That's the most valuable part to me and it let's me know i've still got room to grow and can still move forward.

Step 1. Mixing colors:
Check this out for organisation - just wanted to keep the colors and show you the amount of test sprays to match them.
Mixing all the colors took around 3 hrs i believe, i just sat there and did one after the other and there were 7 or 8 colors? + sepias and black.
redhead17.jpg

Hope you guys and girls took something away from this - if you have any questions please ask away otherwise awards to the best jacker.

Jag wins.

Last edited:
Hope you guys and girls took something away from this - if you have any questions please ask away otherwise awards to the best jacker.

Jag wins.

Almost not even fair...you did give me the perfect setup on that one. LOL

Amazing step by step , I`m so thankful for your effort and generosity !!!!
Here you left a great pit of knowledge and wisdom , I only have a straw , so I will enjoy this thread a lot of time !!!!

damnnnnn! i wish i was your student...sweet! so young,, so talented... i can see your aura and it says you are bound for glory... all hail to the king!

I see an Aussie clown who's good at airbrushing but then again.... I only paint what I see.

That meth addict bit made me crease. Cheers mate, well written in a fun, educational and most importantly inspiring way.

Back