Thayer&Chandler Trio 1 model B and 2 model A

2Diverse

Stick a fork in him, he's done.
I happened to come across a "lot" of three T&C brushes. I'll be posting pics of all three but wanted to start with the one that had me pull the trigger. Yes, I'm still off the wagon.

Should be an early model B.
tcb01.jpg

tcb02.jpg tcb03.jpg
I'm hoping DaveG will help in identification and timeline for all three:).

One thing that intrigues me is the trigger stop wheel behind the trigger. I am more familiar with the post and screw in front of the trigger. Was the wheel used before the post or did they run concurrently?

This B has a serial number of 213B. There is no other engraving on the brush. It does have Thayer & Chandler on the handle.

The air valve has a fairly large port. There was an adapter that takes it down to a standard T&C hose fitting size.

The only cup that fits snug is the large V one, that I put in it to take the pics. The other cups must be for one of the model As that seems older.

You'll have to bear with me. I've been sick this week and I'm only at about 65% (I rarely get sick but this hit hard). I'll be posting more in the next day or so.

Last edited:
I got on my other computer to look up some of the paper work I have for these - the original patent for the design was filed by OC Wold in 1899. He worked for Thayer and Chandler at the time, but had also started his own company. There are several patents filed under his name that cover the TC Model A (also B, C, and F) brushes of that time period. The trigger shape, as well as the needle adjuster can clearly be seen in the patent drawing. The wooden case associated with this particular brush was discontinued before the later half of the 1920's. The handle on my Model A version of the same build has a handle detail that was clearly a hold over from Burdick's design input, placing them very, very early in the 1900's. Charles Burdick moved to Europe starting his own company (later known as Aerograph) after his time at TC. The Aerograph super 63 is a direct descendent of the Burdick design...

All together, I would put this example perhaps post 1905-1910 (no later than 1920 - as I don't think they continued the trigger design for long) due to the clear stamping of the serial number on the top of the brush body. My A, which is perhaps closer to 1900-1905 has a very slight serial number on the side of the brush, marked in the same location Wold marked his own branded brushes. Also, your B has a removable head base... The Models B and C (being larger bodied brushes) do use a larger threaded air valve boss. They are 1/4" x 60 threaded, so I made QC fittings that fit them directly.

WoldPat_1900-Pg1.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to find and post the patent design Dave. It gives a good understanding of the brush.

Your brush is beautiful.

I got a case like that in the lot although it is in rough shape. One A model will fit in it but I'm not sure it's the correct brush for the box. There's a reason for that I will get back to. I also got an extra rest (? don't know what to call it) that the B model fits in although the B won't fit in the case.
tcb09.jpg

This A has been treated kind of harsh. I had thought of using it for parts but a closer inspection shows this is one that needs restored. It doesn't have a removable head piece, it's tapered the same as Dave's above. The serial number is 15322A. It's missing the trigger and it seems that a part of the knurled tube shank has been cut off (it's about a 3/16" piece near the 9 inch line). Don't know why that might have been done but the remaining section of the tube shank is threaded. I may try using a shortened spring as trying to remove the tube shank intact is difficult enough with the knurled piece attached. There's not much to grab hold of now.
tcb06.jpg
tcb08.jpg tcb07.jpg

And the third brush, second A is this one. Not as old. In really good shape. Just working the trigger it seems smooth as silk. Serial number 01452A. Not sure if the nozzle protector is correct.
tcb04.jpg
tcb05.jpg

There's a few more bits and pieces but that will need to wait til tomorrow.

Last edited:
That A is actually a very old brush as well - pre-1925 (most likely very early 20's or earlier). Most of the B's I have seen came in a cardboard box, but not sure about one that old... The last A is most likely 1970's. It was when Thayer Chandler updated the brush to have that tapered body that Badger took over the original construction from the supplier.

I really appreciate your input here Dave. Your knowledge is beyond incredible. Your willingness to share what you know is so very kind and helpful. I will continue to be a student of yours. You have been my aid in my AB journey since I found this forum. I have learned so much from you. Thank you sir!

When I saw the B I knew it had to be old. Getting an A from around the same time period is a big bonus. This is my first foray into really old brushes but I think I did fairly well. At least now I have a couple brushes from the same time period as my oldest Singer sewing machinelol.

I haven't hooked anything up to air yet. That I hope to get to this weekend, depending on how I feel.

Not sure if that is it or not - but, yes, cardboard box. Both of mine are red with a bit of a textured surface - but, are from the mid 1930's and 40's.

Ok, so it is possible that the cardboard case above goes with the B. There is no writing on it that I can see.

Here's where we get into a bit of confusion. This lot is missing one brush. Not that it wasn't included, it wasn't listed as part of the lot. I have two pieces related to a model A that isn't here. It is serial number 35855A. One is a sales receipt dated 7/11/1946 and the other is another cardboard box. The box does have Thayer & Chandler Chicago on it. The serial number is hand written in the upper right hand corner, in what looks like the same writing as the receipt.
tcb12.jpg

Besides this I got an instruction/parts list on both the B and an A. And they are both in really great shape.
tcb11.jpg

There are 2 nozzles and 4 needles in the envelope with the hand written B. There are 7 A needles, a spare head piece (not sure what it's to yet) and 3 seals.
tcb13.jpg

And the last bits are a pencil, lead, and instructions for an eraser that wasn't included. The long skewer does say Koor-I-Nor on it but I'm not sure what it is.
tcb14.jpg

I found these pictures of one of my Model B's. Each of them that I have had came in a similar box, with a red textured wrap. Metal brush holder fixed to the interior, with a textured paper insert underneath. The foil sticker I have seen on dated pieces starting in the early to mid 1930's, which is also about the time they switched from a wooden brush holder insert, to the metal clip in type. I suspect this one to be from the late 40's early 50's, but can't really say for sure. Yours is obviously older - a wonderful piece to have come across!

DSC_5945_01.jpg

DSC_7856.jpg

Beautiful brush Dave:thumbsup:.

Whether mine came in the gray cardboard box doesn't make a big difference. It just fits so that is what I'll be storing it in. It wouldn't fit with a case like yours inside it. Just kind of curious that the second gray box does say T&C so it's similar.

Couple questions please:

When I look for a trigger to put on the old A I believe it should have the style that is raised/humped as opposed to the sunken one like on the one in my red case. Correct?

I may have found a C model. It looks the same as the B except it is bottom/siphon feed and the bottle holder is pretty large. Is this the only difference between a B and C? The seller thinks it's a model E but if I'm not mistaken the E, also being a large brush, is siphon feed but also single action. This one is double action and it looks like the serial number ends in C. It's in a styrofoam case that doesn't include the lid or box. This would be a pretty late brush then wouldn't it?

On the A, yes, it would have an "outie", not an "innie" trigger button with notch cut in one side, and cross pin bottom.

The other brush you describe is for sure a "C" if it is stamped with C at the end of the serial number. Foam in anything makes it a post 1960's or newer brush. The "E" would be a single action.

Back