the best white?

K

kelonio

Hi all,
i use com-art paints, but trying to find a much better white of another brand (less tip dry, good coverage, nice flow).....also will like to know if that white may be mixed with com art......sugestions and feed back will be apreciated...........and also a second question: For a 10 drops of tranparent color, how many drops of white must be added to buffer it or make it opaque?..... Thaks again : )

ETAC EFX is the best spraying white I've found. I don't know about mixing it with Com-Art though.
I have never considered how many drops of white it takes to make transparent paints opaque. I start with a base of white(how much depends on how much of the color I think I need). I then start adding the colors I need to match the target color. Once the color is matched, that's it. Some colors have less white than others depending on the chroma of the color, but it might just take a few more layers to achieve full opacity.
I would say there is no set amount, because you can't match Hue, Chroma, and Value with fixed ratios of paint. I would say that buffered transparent paints are more semi-opaque than opaque.

Last edited:
Professor Jeff in the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There has been much discussion over white and black paints on various threads here, but no-one seems to have found
the perfect ones yet.
All have their pro's and cons but seems that we all have our faves, depending on our uses.
Tip dry seems to be the determining factor, but coverage and opacity effect how you use it.
The jury is still out on a lot of brands.

100% agree with Jagardn. I've tried with very limited success to use Wicked Detail white, Createx Illustration white, Old Createx White. They all sucked to the point I wanted to punch something... Esp. the Createx Illustration white which was dubbed the next greatest thing to ever happen to airbrush paint. What a let down. Threw in my Etac white, and BAM... things were smooth and working. Stress level went from nuclear to calm and cool. I don't care about opacity if the garbage won't even spray, and when it does it's all grainy and spotty.
To be slightly fair, I haven't tried the new W500 super duper solvent yet, to see if that helps any.

Hi Kelonio,
I also use Com-Art paints and hated the Whites but I found Photo/Neutral White is marginally better than the Opaque White. Then someone told me about Com-Art Medium Base which I add 2: Medium to 1: paint which does lower the amount of tip-dry although doesn't stop it. Com-Art Medium is a Transparent Base so you can add as much as you like without loosing binding properties. The paint stays the same thickness so you could always add a drop or 2 of distilled or bottled water (not tap water) to thin it a bit if you want.

It will make the white more transparent though so you will need to make more passes. Here's a link to a Supplier in the UK that sells it so you know what you are looking for:- https://airbrushes.com/product_info...21325&osCsid=9ea1fd3cfa209991d8d6c14928a01ca0

You could buy a small bottle to give it a try and then you won't have to worry about compatibility using another make of paint.

I can't help you with the buffering thing.
Cheers Mel

Hi and sorry Wmlepage, but diden´t understood your post...May you please be more explicative,,,thanks
Wmlepage was just messing with jagardn kelonio! I haven't tried the efx yet but it's going to be my next purchase.

Hi Kelonio,
I also use Com-Art paints and hated the Whites but I found Photo/Neutral White is marginally better than the Opaque White. Then someone told me about Com-Art Medium Base which I add 2: Medium to 1: paint which does lower the amount of tip-dry although doesn't stop it. Com-Art Medium is a Transparent Base so you can add as much as you like without loosing binding properties. The paint stays the same thickness so you could always add a drop or 2 of distilled or bottled water (not tap water) to thin it a bit if you want.

It will make the white more transparent though so you will need to make more passes. Here's a link to a Supplier in the UK that sells it so you know what you are looking for:- https://airbrushes.com/product_info...21325&osCsid=9ea1fd3cfa209991d8d6c14928a01ca0

You could buy a small bottle to give it a try and then you won't have to worry about compatibility using another make of paint.

I can't help you with the buffering thing.
Cheers Mel

Hi Mel and thanks for your answere..the same goes to the other members that posted.....just saw the page of my supplier (coast airbrush) and they dont have the medium shown on their page (will have to ask them) and also they show a photo white, but not a photo neutral white( maybe are the same?.
do you use this medium for both the photo white and the regular white?
In the past i have mixed colors of different brands with no problem,,,but i havent done it with white....and i have heard good compliments for this white so i wanted to check what other people say.

100% agree with Jagardn. I've tried with very limited success to use Wicked Detail white, Createx Illustration white, Old Createx White. They all sucked to the point I wanted to punch something... Esp. the Createx Illustration white which was dubbed the next greatest thing to ever happen to airbrush paint. What a let down. Threw in my Etac white, and BAM... things were smooth and working. Stress level went from nuclear to calm and cool. I don't care about opacity if the garbage won't even spray, and when it does it's all grainy and spotty.
To be slightly fair, I haven't tried the new W500 super duper solvent yet, to see if that helps any.

Hi Boss, thanks 4 your response.....what is the idea bihind the w500?...make it less dry tip?.....and thanks again............one more question that is no related to this forum; May you post or ask for email or skype names?...dont want to break the rules of the forum : )...

Hi Mel and thanks for your answere..the same goes to the other members that posted.....just saw the page of my supplier (coast airbrush) and they dont have the medium shown on their page (will have to ask them) and also they show a photo white, but not a photo neutral white( maybe are the same?.
do you use this medium for both the photo white and the regular white?
In the past i have mixed colors of different brands with no problem,,,but i havent done it with white....and i have heard good compliments for this white so i wanted to check what other people say.

Hi Kelonio, yes it's the same white paint I call it Photo/Neutral White because I ordered Photo White but when it arrived the bottle label said Neutral White. So I call it Photo/Neutral White to avoid confusion. It is better than Opaque White for tip-dry but not by much and no I don't use the Opaque White because I bought extra bottles of Photo White.

I don't know why but the Com-Art Medium Base seems to be very hard to find which is why I put the link to the UK supplier who have 3 different sized bottles. You could ask Coast if they can order some from their supplier or you could email the UK supplier and see what they would charge to deliver to you.

I also have a soft toothbrush clipped onto my easel board with airbrush cleaner on it to clean my needle tip on the fly. I just get in the habit of cleaning off the tip-dry every few minutes when using white. Even with the Com-Art Medium added I still have to clean the tip often, just less often. You can also bump up the psi a bit which should help.
Cheers Mel

Still don't know why some call it color buffering? Its called making opaque LOL..But as soon as you add a drop to say 10 drops you are beginning to make the transparent opaque, only a light semi opaque but no less moving down that road, by the time you get to about 5 drops your opaque should in essence start covering the base layer and be a near full opaque, though it may still take a few layers for full coverage so it could still be considered a semi-opaque..By the time you get to a even mix 10 drops of each you will find its enough white dispersed amongst the color to get full coverage but likely will need a few passes depending on what your trying to cover below and its strength..Its not an exact science, well it probably is somewhere LOL but remember to completely cover a layer below your depending on the white pigment in the mix to overlay the colored pigment below so it does ultimately require a fair bit of white pigment or many passes if your white is not strong enough in the mix..Adding white to make the opaque also tends to produce pastel colors so thats kind of what you want to be seeing to know the strength is strong enough to cover whats below quickly in few as possible passes, being a pastel its likely not the exact color you will want so you may have to retone it with a transparent after to richen up the color, otherwise you may have to be happy with your semi-opaque and just do multiple passes..

As to good whites- Etac as mentioned and Spectra have reasonable coverage and not too bad to spray, add the aditives and likely even nicer to spray but the best white I have found for tip dry and coverage is a brand called T.O.P, sprays really nice straight out of the bottle but realistically I haven't tried many because I found a few that work for me...GL

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Wicked opaque white, with the 500 reducer, about a 4 to 1 mix at 20 psi works a treat. But that is through a .35 nozzle.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Wicked opaque white, with the 500 reducer, about a 4 to 1 mix at 20 psi works a treat. But that is through a .35 nozzle.

Yeah nozzle size really helps. But old school Createx White was like squirting lead.

I have used semi-opaque white when I need to cover anything underneath. I just used it on my clock. I mixed it 4 paint to 1 reducer. I didnt want to make it even more transparent. The semi-opaque shoots alot better than just opaque. It covered with 1 coat and had no blue shift at all, and covered up all the blue and blk underneath. I wanted the numbers to seem like they were above the graphics. It worked....lol
IMG-20140202-01674.jpgIMG-20140202-01671.jpg

Mainly with any paint you have to learn what does and does not work for you and the way you paint.
The W500 is the latest reducer for the WICKED , Autoair, and Createx illustration paints. It does give better flow then the W100.
Another thing to consider is what are the temps and humidity in the area you are painting in ? Hot dry air will cause tip dry no matter what you are spraying.
But even urethane white will give tip dry.
Being my Etac will not be here until tomorrow I will not comment on it. But like Squishy W500 and white through my Micron .18 or krome .20 I get very little tip dry or spray issues And that is dropping the PSI to 5 and below . But I have learned how to use the paint for the way I paint.

Yup herb said it, you have to find a mix that suits you, and tip dry can become almost negligable.

Back