The Denise Tutorials - Our First Full Color Artwork!

Yo, Mitch, if you don't mind me jumping in, I would like to throw in my two cents. B/W portraits are different, JT. instead of doing the white on black, I erase for texture and let the white of the substrate show.

That's how I've been creating my textures and highlights so far and it works very nicely. When Mitch showed his technique, I thought it would be better for work on cars and bikes, which you can have a more difficult time using scratching and erasing and many times you are not working on a white surface when you airbrush cars and bikes. Also, its quite common to paint monochromatic subjects on vehicles, so I was trying to figure a method of counter acting the dreaded blue shift using Mitch's method. Thanks for the suggestion.

After I wrote that down I realized that you may have been talking about a different substrate. Well, it was worth I try.

Quote from Mitch

Hey Tony
smile.png
i'm not too sure what white wash is?? by adding those two drops of skin tone to the white you don't get color shift - there's no blue look at all to my color because it's not a straight white
untroubled.png

From want I understand is that when you have got your under paint done without too much detail in your portrait at this point you mix a white with water and dust over the whole painting and let it dry, It does seem strange when you do this but I have been doing it for a while and it does seem to help the paint and stops that muddy look and colour shift, I wish I knew more about it but I don’t have the money to go on a Marissa portrait coarse but uses a white wash in with her technique that she teaches.

Maybe as you say adding white does the same and softens any shifting, great vid keep it up

Thanks Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 3 of Denise

Part 3 goes into the second color layer, tips on how to mix and apply it:) can see the portrait getting better slowly.. This really is the long way to do a full color portrait!

[video=youtube;TR2TacxGjxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR2TacxGjxY[/video]

I'll answer your questions a bit later on.. bit tied up atm:(

I'll answer your questions a bit later on.. bit tied up atm:(

Excuuuuuuuse me ! ?
You are not allowed to have a life outside of the forum.....don't you know we are all hanging on every word that comes out of your mouth and are eagerly waiting the final installment of this tutorial !
You impart such words of wisdom that you have managed to teach many old dogs here some new tricks..... I've even learnt a few new dance moves ROFL

When he said tied up, was he talking work or pleasure :)

Yes we are practising....whop,whop whop..whop whop....go go Gangnam style....sexy lady:)

and dont forget folks, mitchs new visual airbrush language.... its not just symbols also you can use actions.... and the correct action for coverage is ..... as anyone knows....... inverted crab claws..... ;0)

Sheriff Cordy, doin' the pony while chewing his bottom lip has just explained the 'X' in the create-x squadron :)

How did we manage to get so far off topic ??
Oh that's right … Mitch was getting tied up ! Your fault Mitch

Last edited:
What if you want to use this texture technique to paint a black and white portrait? Would you use straight white or put a drop or two of orange in the white to counter act the blue shift?
I'd use a blue black color originally - but to calm the blue shift - you're spot on - a drop or two of orange to shift the color to the other side of the spectrum.

Yo, Mitch, if you don't mind me jumping in, I would like to throw in my two cents. B/W portraits are different, JT. instead of doing the white on black, I erase for texture and let the white of the substrate show.
This is also a great technique. I don't use erasers to create textures however as i find the textures are too sharp - however Cordy can shoot me down on this by showing a picture of his awesome green frog.

Quote from Mitch

Hey Tony:) i'm not too sure what white wash is?? by adding those two drops of skin tone to the white you don't get color shift - there's no blue look at all to my color because it's not a straight white
:untroubled:

From want I understand is that when you have got your under paint done without too much detail in your portrait at this point you mix a white with water and dust over the whole painting and let it dry, It does seem strange when you do this but I have been doing it for a while and it does seem to help the paint and stops that muddy look and colour shift, I wish I knew more about it but I don’t have the money to go on a Marissa portrait coarse but uses a white wash in with her technique that she teaches.

Maybe as you say adding white does the same and softens any shifting, great vid keep it up

Thanks Tony

I'd never heard of this until now Tony - and just before my head gets any bigger and i think i know it all you come and burst my bubble with this little insight. I would have thought she'd do that at the beginning of the portrait however?? If you undercoat the entire thing in your white then it will counteract the blue shift to some extent. But Marissa hasn't made it to where she is by not knowing what she's doing.. Would be interested to learn that:)
first multi quote i've done by the way.

Hey just found parts 3 and 4 on youtube!!!! How have I missed this. Twilight zone strikes again. Great stuff mitch, as ever, many thanks!

yeah im been waiting since the first tutorial to see the rest, wtf, how was i supposed to know where, damn, oh well guess i had better sharpen my game, im lacking, and slacking. but damn.

Hey just found parts 3 and 4 on youtube!!!! How have I missed this. Twilight zone strikes again. Great stuff mitch, as ever, many thanks!

Hey mate if you tick the subscribe button on YouTube and check your settings you will get a notification by email every time a new vid is added....bingo!!

Part 3! Denise Tutorials..

Part 3:
[video=youtube;TR2TacxGjxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR2TacxGjxY&feature=relmfu[/video]

Part 4: Denise Tutorials..

Showing how to add textures in the second color layer..

[video=youtube;lrzjlogCbmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrzjlogCbmA&feature=relmfu[/video]

i dont know what more entertaining the infomatvie video, or watching mr magic himself. lol, thanks mitch,

Awesome tutorial!!! Never quite seen this approach, but would definitely have to agree that this technique could be very useful on hard surfaces such as automotive where erasing isnt an option!!! Cant wait to see the rest of it. Kind a wished I had waited longer to check it out so it was all on here, now I gotta wait, haha. Great job and thanks Mitch, its much appreciated!

Back