The LUCY drawing tool

V

V-Twin

Has anyone seen or even used the Camera Lucida tool that is advertised on the ' drawlucy.com ' web site?
It looks kind of interesting, particularly if you want to draw anything directly onto your substrate or a drawing reference book.

I was thinking it could reduce the number of steps needed to get your reference picture onto your substrate (ie: no tracing paper etc required). It also allows you to enlarge and keep perspective.

Just asking, as not actually sure how useful in reality this would be.

Oh cool, its peppers ghost.
Never tried one, seems kind of interesting... I wonder how sensitive it is to the lighting conditions/ slight changes in eye position

I actually just bought one a few weeks ago. It is quite a learning curve tbh. Its very difficult to find the right angles to use. between the angle the lucy is pointed at the image and the angle at which you need to look through it can get very awkward. The only way to adjust the size on your substrate is to move the lucy closer to the image which isnt always possiable. It is great for landscapes . overall how useful it is really depends on what you are trying to transfer and the size of which your transfering.

ok, looks like it might not be that useful at this time then.

ok, looks like it might not be that useful at this time then.

It might be handy if all of yiur subjects are going to standing kive in front of you, for half the cost you could get a basic artograph tracer to handle the photo part of it, the bracket holding the camera Lucida looks flimsy and I would suspect that it would be easy to nudge it out of sync with your drawing and it would be extremely difficult to get it back, I have bad shakes a lot of the time and I know for sure I would give that thing a head butt, not much chance of that with an artograoh tracer since there's no need to touch it once you've calibrated it and nafe sure your substrate is secure:)

Why not look into a pico projector instead? If your set on projecting rather than tracing, I personally find it more time consuming to transfer the image this way, I usually print my reference the same size as I want to paint/draw and use the same reference to check for accuracy by flipping it on and off my work.

indigo paper? I remember we used that blue paper for transfering pictures when I was a kid.
I think it's called indigo paper.

Hi @Malky, I agree that there are some probable issues with its use, but it was just something I saw in a youtube thread and it looked like it might have made things a little easier, but probably not. There are 2 versions of it, one with a flexible goose-neck arm and another updated with solid cantilever arms or something, which makes it much more sturdy, but at double the price.

I like to try to freehand my paintings, only using a stencil when I really need to, thus projecting an image onto the canvas and drawing it that way (same as Mich did in one of his videos), would seem easier. But of course, I could find that it does not work for me, but until I have personally tried it, I really have no idea, only guesses.

indigo paper? I remember we used that blue paper for transfering pictures when I was a kid.
I think it's called indigo paper.

Husky, I think what you describe is similar to Red Carbon Paper which is ideal for using in portrait pieces as the Red blends in easier with Sienna's and Umbers, or so I have read in various forums.

I have the solid arm and I can tell you If you breath to hard it changes focus lol

Hello crazyvet, thanks for that info, much appreciate your real world usage input on this. The blurb on the web site tries to indicate it is stable and solid, but they are out to sell the things, so they would make that point. Guess I will not be purchasing one of those now.

Cheers mate.

Husky, I think what you describe is similar to Red Carbon Paper which is ideal for using in portrait pieces as the Red blends in easier with Sienna's and Umbers, or so I have read in various forums.
thx. Somethime in my country they use different names for stuff. And my memory is like a wind. One day is nice and chill, next day it blows away :D

thx. Somethime in my country they use different names for stuff. And my memory is like a wind. One day is nice and chill, next day it blows away :D

hahahaa I can identify with that statement easily :laugh::laugh: Although over in the UK we use the term "Have a memory like a sieve".

Back