For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

the motivation to paint is there but I just cant come up with a good subject

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

in these crazy times we are now living in I can think of only 2 things to keep my mind from wandering to places it should not go
    1: ride my bike as it is now fixed and ready to go out but not if it is 30 C out there in full riding gear

2: pick up the airbrush , trouble is I a fresh out off any ideas I dont want to paint animals or famous people and I need a good challenge so I am open for all ideas you guys and galls can come up with
    HellBird, jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  2. Kim McCann

Kim McCann Needle-chuck Ninja

When I am like that I randomly paint stuff I find i my kitchen or on my desk. I snap a photo of whatever is there and then try to replicate the light and textures. It's not high art, but it scratches that itch and makes me learn new textures or objects - skills I can move to when I do a real painting. it may seem dull, but is quite a challenge.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    HellBird, jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  3. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

I started to watch Das Boot series, so I don't have any ideas :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Just joking Ronald, I am in the submarine mode right now :laugh:

Anyway, great to hear you enjoy your riding, if weather is suited for you. :thumbsup:
    HellBird and jord001 like this.
  4. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I'm the opposite Ron, I got loads of things I want to paint and one to finish, Just grabbed a load of images of the Lovely Floor Jansen from Nightwish, she looks like a beautiful subject to paint. but cant be bothered setting up etc.. As for riding in full gear I can tell you it is very hot. Having to do it as my job is great but in this heat its not such a pleasure. 32 C on the clock yesterday, Lucky today it only went as high as 28.5..

Lee
    huskystafford likes this.
  5. Spritz

Spritz Triple Actioner

Hi Ronald,

I know the feeling. I try to look for something that makes my eyes go wide open. I have been trying to do portraits of old movie starlets like Betty Davis, Rita Hayworth and such. But got burnt out. So now since I am a gear head I am looking for Automotive stuff. Like old cars, trucks even rusty ones, and even old signage. OR replicating a mural from a van or car, that would be a hard project and take time also. Harder is always better in my opinion. I also love history, like ancient Egypt, Inca, Maya and the like, looking for images of building, statues and art to try. As a last resort Paint someone you love, your parents from old photos and add other family members to it that were not there, like yourself.

Just some ideas, maybe to help flip the artist switch in you back on. Hope it hekps.

Stay safe, healthy and making airbrush art.
    Mike
  6. Spritz

Spritz Triple Actioner

7. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

I'm watching it with subtitles :cool:

I am still deciding if remake of original is a crime :whistling:
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    jord001 likes this.
  8. Ronald art

thanks guys you all came up with some good ideas and I was tempted to paint that sub but that would mean cutting stencils so that went out the door but the idea of old movie stars sounds like fun as back in those days they really knew how to take a good black and white photo so I will check it out :)
    jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  9. Ulli

Ulli Young Tutorling

Why don't you combine those 2 things and paint a nice landscape with your favorite bike. Or paint the nicest place of your preferred bikeroute?
    Ronald art, huskystafford and jord001 like this.
  10. Ronald art

I came across a web site with free to use photo's that has a section with classic b/w ref photo's pxhere.com and found a ref I really like and that will be a challenge to get it right :)
    jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  11. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Nice one Ron. Looking forward to seeing you tackle it.

Lee
  12. Spritz

Spritz Triple Actioner

If you guy look hard, you may find dad or grandpa's stash of reference materials... Known as Playboy and / or Penthouse. I heard they have really great reference images in the centerfolds and pretty good ones on the other pages. Since they have been around for 60 or so years, that should give you hundreds of nice color pictures to choose from...And you can't say any of the images are UGLY, that's for sure. If they don't get your artistic blood flowing, you can always read the articles....LMAO
    Kim McCann likes this.
  13. Kim McCann

Kim McCann Needle-chuck Ninja

I used to do a lot of pinup girls, and back when playboy released their 50th anniversary photography book, I HAD to pick it up. Amazing reference work. While it focuses mainly on the gals, they have a lot of their other stuff in there, interview photos, strange landscape stuff, odd artworks... If you're not shy about the human form, and really, what artist is? Then highly recommend picking up a copy on Amazon or your local quality book retailer.

Be prepared tho, the book isn't cheap. It's a giant book of glossy photos stretching over 50 years. But well worth every penny in my estimation.

Back in the day, if you were an aspiring photographer that wanted to get into professional photography, that was where you started. So some of the biggest names in photography are represented in that book.

Well worth the money.