The shakes

O

Oleo40

Got them baddddd. Being I am in my 70's it probably just goes with the territory but thought someone here might have some help. My lines are wavy. my dagger strokes are so bad if I threw them at the wall they would just bounce. It's a good thing my main reason for taking up airbrushing is to paint Fishing Lures. I have done a few and the Fish don't seem to mind. Any suggestions would be welcome. I drink a lot of coffee,BLACK since Grandma made it 65 years ago [Swedish and the pot was on the stove 24/7--just short of syrup-hehe] All kidding aside---HELP if possible Ole

hmmmm I don't really know I'm afraid I wish I could give you a quick fix!.....we have a member on here whois username is " ignis" a very educated guy and a fabulous artist....I know he was doing some exploration in to food to give you a steadier hand and also visualise things better.....maybe have a look at his blog I believe it is isocult.com you may find something there.....if not you can at least educate yourself on at least 30 other subjects

My guess is, as you say it goes with the territory, I have it myself and I'm only 54, if I'm doing something intricate where I have to be absolutely steady, I use my old sign-writing mall stick, that helps a lot, if you don't have one you can make one yourself from a pole around two feet long and up to 0.5 inches thick and make two inch ball from old cloth and cover it in chamois leather to make it non slip and that on one end, if you tape your lures to a a work board, you've cracked it.

Hope this helps

I find that I hold the airbrush in one hand but while holding that hand with my other hand.....In other words by holding the airbrush with both hands you'll reduce alot of that shaking, which as you pointed out doesn't matter alot when it comes to painting fishing lures.

My only other suggestion would be to move faster when you make your dagger strokes....seems like I can make alot smoother and straighter lines if I'll increase the speed of the move....try drawing a straight line by moving real slowly, then try the same thing again only move alot faster and I think you'll find your lines alot straighter and you might experience less of the shaky problems.

I've got several crankbaits on the bench that I need to get finished....Once I do, I'll share them since there seem to be others that paint lures.

I find that I hold the airbrush in one hand but while holding that hand with my other hand.....In other words by holding the airbrush with both hands you'll reduce alot of that shaking, which as you pointed out doesn't matter alot when it comes to painting fishing lures.

My only other suggestion would be to move faster when you make your dagger strokes....seems like I can make alot smoother and straighter lines if I'll increase the speed of the move....try drawing a straight line by moving real slowly, then try the same thing again only move alot faster and I think you'll find your lines alot straighter and you might experience less of the shaky problems.

I've got several crankbaits on the bench that I need to get finished....Once I do, I'll share them since there seem to be others that paint lures.

I'm afraid in my case, and after 30 years of alcohol abuse, even holding with 2 hands doesn't always help, lol

and after 30 years of alcohol abuse, even holding with 2 hands doesn't always help, lol

LOL, I'm with ya there, and generally as I abuse it whilst I'm painting I've also had to deal with the odd wonky line LOL..All the comments above Oleo may indeed assist in removing some of the issue, another couple of alternatives for you..

Look into leapfrogging, it naturally increases your speed and may assist...Also many oil painters use a stick with a ball of rags on the end, can't remember the specific name for it but if you set your lures up right, or indeed your canvas/practice paper if you work on such also make up one of these sticks. You basically use them to steady your painting hand. Hold it with your spare hand, place it againts the board or something solid behind the lure your painting and rest your airbrushing arm on it. You can then manipulate the stick to assist in stroke creation and as your not actually trying to move your airbrushing arm it will help keeping it steady..May not remove the issue entirely but maybe worth a try..Good luck

many oil painters use a stick with a ball of rags on the end, can't remember the specific name for it but if you set your lures up right, or indeed your canvas/practice paper if you work on such also make up one of these sticks. You basically use them to steady your painting hand. Hold it with your spare hand, place it againts the board or something solid behind the lure your painting and rest your airbrushing arm on it. You can then manipulate the stick to assist in stroke creation and as your not actually trying to move your airbrushing arm it will help keeping it steady..May not remove the issue entirely but maybe worth a try..Good luck

LOL, This is the "Mall stick" I mentioned above, I used it for years for my sign writing and still use today for my art (if you can call it that), even the artist Jurek uses them, this is how he gets the incredible flowing clean lines on his wildlife paintings.

And your alcohol abuse during painting seems to pay off, lol

Thanks a lot for the help. I Googled "Maul stick" and even found a couple of videos on how to use it. Looks like it may help me out -with some Maul stick practice. Practice, practice, practice. OH yeh, in my younger days I had some of that abuse excuse myself. Bad health fixed it though. Ole

Thanks a lot for the help. I Googled "Maul stick" and even found a couple of videos on how to use it. Looks like it may help me out -with some Maul stick practice. Practice, practice, practice. OH yeh, in my younger days I had some of that abuse excuse myself. Bad health fixed it though. Ole

Glad to be of service, and the sick is easier to use than you may think.

And whatever you may lost along the way, at least you've still got your humour, lol

I still have a stick too from my sign writing days, I haven't used it for years but spotted it in my dads garage the other week. Very useful I must say. I will keep it on one side for when i need it.

Lee

I still have a stick too from my sign writing days, I haven't used it for years but spotted it in my dads garage the other week. Very useful I must say. I will keep it on one side for when i need it.

Lee

You'de be surprised how handy it can be, I know of a couple of burglars who gave up the profession after being surprised by it, lol, even my kids instantly do what they are told just at the sight of it and the youngest is 24, lol

Hahaha Soz Madbrush was actually partaking in my drinking hobby yesterday m8 so missed ya comment LOL :)

Back