Thicken paint

rhabyan

Double Actioner
I have started a monochrome portrait and am using Createx illustration colors with a micron - sb on Fredrix canvas board gessoed. The color I am using is Sepia with a touch of Black. I have mixed using a ratio of 10:1 with reducer, and this seems to be a little to thin. I think I can just mix my next batch using less reducer but it just gave me a thought as to how can a batch of opaque, after being mixed a little thin, be thickened? Is it possible?

Depends. If you want to keep the transparency, you will need base like Squishy mentioned. If you don't care about that, add more paint. If you add Base to the mixture, you will make it even more transparent. So do a drop of color with 3 drops of base.

If its hot in your part of the world, stick it outside in an open container for half the day, you'll be amazed ow much of the water will evaporate out..or as suggested above is the faster way LOL

If its hot in your part of the world, stick it outside in an open container for half the day, you'll be amazed ow much of the water will evaporate out..or as suggested above is the faster way LOL
Or forget it in the cup for the night and have it JUST a little Too thick:sour::sour::sour:

If I recall correctly. Its recommended that adding trans base be done only when needed. Or to be done in moderation, or you can experience issues.
I would think going to far would or could see poor colour consistency in your coverage.

If it was me. I would mix a separate batch of your sepia, Minus reducer. Add the reduced paint to a small portion of your unreduced paint to make the viscosity you desire and use that. Or let it sit open.

Be aware. In the past I experienced pigment fall out with reduced paint left over night. No shaking the bottle would recover the proper colour I had the day before. From that, I take records of my recipe and mix on the go as I need it. Now due to that, I have no idea IF this issue is still around with AA or not.

Dan

Yup, ever tried to dig paint out? I do on a regular basis LOL

I landed a job as a painter once. As it happened, I found an Old Italian Fire Hose of a gravity fed full size gun. lol, Man, that thing must have had a needle of 7 or 9 mil Hehe. I thought. My God, I just found the perfect Flake Gun.... Abandoned.
Only thing was. The last user never cleaned it. Actually, it'd be fair to say, the didnt even empty the intire contents from the gun :cry:.

I always envisioned, I could restore it.. It may not be 2k they used.... It may not be baked from years and years of sitting under the bench.. Thats just Sanding dust, its covered in...... Its still good.. The cup is Alloy, I could soak that in?....... something... :cry::cry::cry:

Dan

Back