Thinning paint

G

GhostDog

I purchased several colors of Createx paint for use on my carvings. I also purchased some "Cleaner" they had next to the paints.

Question is, can you thin the paint with the cleaner, or would water be best. If water, is distilled better than tap?

Thanks!

My understanding is its best to use reducer, this thins the viscosity, (or thickness) of the paint without breaking down the pigment (colour). Water will thin the paint but also water down the actual colour.

My understanding is its best to use reducer, this thins the viscosity, (or thickness) of the paint without breaking down the pigment (colour). Water will thin the paint but also water down the actual colour.

THANKS! That actually makes sense. I did see the cleaner and a r e t a r d e r , but no reducer - thus the question!

Again thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi GhostDog,
Actualy also thinning it down with the proper thinner will fade down your paint like water. But the advantage of using the thinner is that it mostly
wont change the way your color will stick to the paint ground. If you use a paint that you thinned down with alot of water it mostly happends
that it wont be so good on hard surfaces anymore and peels off easier. Im not sure now if there is a reducer for the normal Createx colors since i dont have them.
But for the Wicked and Auto Air line from Createx there is a special reducer to use. If you are going to use water to thinn down your paints then distilled water is
better then tap water, specialy when you mix up more paint in a bottle that you wanna keep for a longer time. Paint that is mixed in a bottle with tap water can become
smelly after sometime when you open that bottle again and there is also stuff in tap water that can change the color after a longer time like lime or chalk however its called in english lol.

Back