thinning wicked paint

4010 reducer is a medium dry reducer and 4011 is fast dry reducer so in theory you will have less tip dry with 4010.

So your veg water from the sunday roast has a percentage of alcohol in it Fezley? When am I getting an invite to sunday dinner? :very_drunk:

4010 reducer is a medium dry reducer and 4011 is fast dry reducer so in theory you will have less tip dry with 4010.

So your veg water from the sunday roast has a percentage of alcohol in it Fezley? When am I getting an invite to sunday dinner? :very_drunk:
Lol.....my beef stew I use 2 litres of beer....no water haha! Welcome any time bro

not very opaque and spiders easily.

As you say , you are new in AB , thats why , paint are fine , you just need to learn more and have more practice about air pressure , reducer ratios , etc
Spiders is a common problem for begginers (i know because i'm begginer too)

Got spider problems ... Reduce the pressure a bit ... try around 15 PSI.

The other thing to remember is you have to build the paint up in layers so it may seem like there is very little coverage (opacity). Believe me its easier to add another layer ... than reduce a one thats to dark! I used to (and still do) end up over doing things as I expected everything to "colour up" straight away and had my paint set up with very little reduction and high pressures. This caused me problems when I bought my Infinity as I could not understand why the paint was troublesome going through the AB.

Some of the guys and gals on here will have mentioned that reduction can change between colours of the same series of paint, differnt brands of paint etc. The same goes for your airbrush. What may go through an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS, for instance, will not go through a H&S Infinity .15! Although the paint may look like gnat's p*ss in the eclipse it will be like treacle going through a smaller nozzle airbrush! It really is trial & error. Couple this with the fact your still learning the airbrush and this will = FRUSTRATION!

Just take it one step at a time mate!

Josh (Seamonkey) has some good vids of him doing skulls ... Watch how he builds them up layer by layer, building up the shadow areas. I go back to these vids and Airbrushtutor's time and time again and just observe how they build up the picture.

Hope this helps keep you sane!

Andy

Excellent advice from talla......also if you look at joshs indian chief video, he uses wicked thinned at around 1 part paint to 15 reducer....I alsop use this method, it works for me and I'm a relative beginner

hey guys, I understand, its making more sense when I read your post andy, the build up of opacity is not something I invisage when considering airbrushing, but yes, I can see its advantages, these are opaque paints, man the trans paints must be waaaaay transparent. .i have been playing with air pressures as you suggested and yes, it helps,
ikinda promised myself I would never paint a skull but we will see lol :)
thanks again Rob

Hi Rob,

Glad to see you are working through your AB Issues.

As for doing skulls ... It may not be your scene but it sure teaches you a lot about shadows, graduated lines, dots and daggers and just about everything else to do with airbrushing. The best thing about Skulls in my opinion is they dont take too long to complete so yopu have something to show your wife/family/friends quicker which justifies all the cost recently spent (well it works in our house!).
And best of all .... you only waste one colour!!! :glee:

So ... Skulls have more uses than just appearing on motorcycle tanks! Thats probably why most folk like to do them (and you just thought we were all neo gothic satanists!) :devilish:

Andy

hi andy, I did an eye or 2 but over shadowed to hide my bad dagger stroke eye lashes, but its a start..I can only improve :)
cheers rob

Attachments

• airbrush eye.jpg
    airbrush eye.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 17
Well I think it is a good start! I tend to overdo things as well. Some of it is down to being a learner ... some of it down to the bad lighting I have in my airbrushing work space (I cant really see very light passes with the AB).

Now if you said it was a neo gothic satanist or Marilyn Manson's eye I would have said you had captured it perfectly :wink-new:

I still dont see how I could paint a full colour picture like I do with a hairy brush, but I guess it will become clearer as time goes on, tbh, im enjoying the challenge of airbrushing, its NOT easy :)
cheers rob

Back