thinning wicked paint

rob12770

Young Tutorling
hI, im brand new to airbrushing mand just ordered my first paint, I ordered Wicked Primary Set 6 x 60ml #W101-00

its not here yet but I noticed I only get one bottle of reducer, and its the same size as the paint, so if I reduce 50 50, I will 4 more bottles of reducer ?
can reduce with water ? or thin the reducer with water to thin the paint..?
thanks Rob

For practice you can thin with water as they are water based paint, but for"proper work outta probably with getting the reducer.....trans base is great also!

Im sorry, trans base ?

Transparent base, its paint but without the colour.....it looks like white paint but it spays clear.....you can thin the pigment out In your paint but without losing the viscosity of the paint for example.....you could have 20th drops of paint but have it act like only one drop of colour in it....lends itself to spraying light layers

Im sorry, trans base ?

That is just a medium you can mix with your paint paint to make it transparent, it allows you to build up layers gradually, it also helps minimise tip dry and clogging.

I use Golden transparent base/medium because I get four times as much for the same price as the wicked stuff.

Unfortunately people in the know have a tendency to shorten or abbreviate the names of stuff, and don't take into consideration that people starting out may not fully understand.

Yup, guilty of that here..... still, least its not as bad/good as "tip d" haha

Think of the trans base as compared to liquin. Not to be confused with either.
As for the reduction. You're not going to use an entire bottle of paint off the get go so no need to panic on the reducer front. Yes you will need more down the road but you'll be fine for now til the next order shows up.

Now a word about when or if you should use water.... If this is on something like a motorcycle or automotive or anything that needs to be exposed to the elements or adhesion issues, don't use water. Use the proprietary reducer. If this is for illustration or fine art applications, water should suffice. People have also used "Paint Easy" by wagner to reduce their paints with. You can find that at Walmart. It's about 7 bucks a quart. Once again I would only use that if it were on an interior or on something that absolute adhesion wasn't an issue.
You will find though, that each material you use has different characteristics and will shoot differently.

Paying jobs, for me, I will ONLY use the proprietary reducer.

Think of the trans base as compared to liquin. Not to be confused with either.
As for the reduction. You're not going to use an entire bottle of paint off the get go so no need to panic on the reducer front. Yes you will need more down the road but you'll be fine for now til the next order shows up.

Now a word about when or if you should use water.... If this is on something like a motorcycle or automotive or anything that needs to be exposed to the elements or adhesion issues, don't use water. Use the proprietary reducer. If this is for illustration or fine art applications, water should suffice. People have also used "Paint Easy" by wagner to reduce their paints with. You can find that at Walmart. It's about 7 bucks a quart. Once again I would only use that if it were on an interior or on something that absolute adhesion wasn't an issue.
You will find though, that each material you use has different characteristics and will shoot differently.

Paying jobs, for me, I will ONLY use the proprietary reducer.
thanks for the info, it would just be for practicing right now as im a newbie, but you given lots of handy info there, thanks a lot :)
rob

so can I mix water AND reducer to thin paint ?
also, what is in reducer ?
im finding it hard to buy wicked reducer on its own in the U.K
cheers rob

well, the paint came today, but im still none the wiser as to what ratio to mix ? is it 1 to 1 ?
cheers

Rob,
As a starting point try 1 drop of paint to 3 drops of reducer. If it spiders to much then reduce your pressure a bit. If it doent come out cleanly spits, clogs etc reduce some more. It is a bit trial and error at first!
Too much paint in one spot will usually cause spidering. this can equate to being too close whilst pulling the trigger too much or not moving the airbrush fast enough. Its all about balancing everything.
Start with dots and daggers etc as this will allow you to get a better handle on things as you change pressures reductions etc.

Now go and produce a sheet of dots n daggers and post a picture of it on here especially if you are having some problems we may be able to do an onkine surgury and help you sort out the problems quickly.

Rob,
As a starting point try 1 drop of paint to 3 drops of reducer. If it spiders to much then reduce your pressure a bit. If it doent come out cleanly spits, clogs etc reduce some more. It is a bit trial and error at first!
Too much paint in one spot will usually cause spidering. this can equate to being too close whilst pulling the trigger too much or not moving the airbrush fast enough. Its all about balancing everything.
Start with dots and daggers etc as this will allow you to get a better handle on things as you change pressures reductions etc.

Now go and produce a sheet of dots n daggers and post a picture of it on here especially if you are having some problems we may be able to do an onkine surgury and help you sort out the problems quickly.
thanks andy, so no hard and fast rules eh, ok mate, il try what you said
ta rob :)

the seller bought the wicked paint from sent me a 120ml bottle of autoair 4010 reducer as they had no 60ml of wicked reducer left, but they said it was the same, is that right enough ?
cheers rob

Pretty much, I think its all very similar, probably just veg water from sunday roast

Back