This Seems To Work - Thinner/Reducer

There are lots of things that can be used to thin/reduce paint. The question is though, how well will it hold up over time. if you are putting time, effort and $$ into a project (especially if you are being paid for it)
Using anything other than what the manufacturer of your chosen paints recommends can open a whole can of worms when 6mths down the track the Helmet you painted for a client starts to fade or break down and they come back to you complaining, or worse, complains to a potential client, leave bad feedback on your social media profile. You get the picture so I won't keep citing examples.

If you are practising on your own personal works then you can use whatever you like, if you are using Createx you can actually just use water - it doesn't come any cheaper than that.

There are lots of things that can be used to thin/reduce paint. The question is though, how well will it hold up over time. if you are putting time, effort and $$ into a project (especially if you are being paid for it)
Using anything other than what the manufacturer of your chosen paints recommends can open a whole can of worms when 6mths down the track the Helmet you painted for a client starts to fade or break down and they come back to you complaining, or worse, complains to a potential client, leave bad feedback on your social media profile. You get the picture so I won't keep citing examples.

If you are practising on your own personal works then you can use whatever you like, if you are using Createx you can actually just use water - it doesn't come any cheaper than that.

All that makes sense. It also seems to make the paint flow smoother.

Here's a question for ya: The bottle states "Thins Paint Without Reducing" How is that possible?

Ponz

A quart for 12 bucks! Read the back label.

Ponz

All that makes sense. It also seems to make the paint flow smoother.

Here's a question for ya: The bottle states "Thins Paint Without Reducing" How is that possible?

Ponz

Because a reducer has NO binder in it. This stuff is probably the thinnest you can make an acrylic binder and still have adhesion properties for the open market. It would be pretty rare to have a paint as thin as that, and it still won't spray. Also, that stuff is made for people using those home hobbyist electric spray guns. I used it before to paint a family member's garage door using an electric spray gun, and it worked fantastic.

I was using it as an airbrush reducer but forgot I even had it. Everything worked fine. IMO, you'd be good to go using it for pretty much any acrylic paint.

Because a reducer has NO binder in it. This stuff is probably the thinnest you can make an acrylic binder and still have adhesion properties for the open market. It would be pretty rare to have a paint as thin as that, and it still won't spray. Also, that stuff is made for people using those home hobbyist electric spray guns. I used it before to paint a family member's garage door using an electric spray gun, and it worked fantastic.

I was using it as an airbrush reducer but forgot I even had it. Everything worked fine. IMO, you'd be good to go using it for pretty much any acrylic paint.
That's what I thought and am experiencing...

Side note: I'm excrement-canning all of my Michael's Craft Paint. They're gumming up my Sparmax Max35, even thinned.

Now - Artist's Loft paint from Michael's works OK as does the Arteza line. Of course my Golden High Flow work the best!

Ponz

That's what I thought and am experiencing...

Side note: I'm excrement-canning all of my Michael's Craft Paint. They're gumming up my Sparmax Max35, even thinned.

Now - Artist's Loft paint from Michael's works OK as does the Arteza line. Of course my Golden High Flow work the best!

Ponz

It's the quality of the pigment. The cheap tube paints does not have very fine pigment and that clogs the guns. Even a lot of thinning will not help. All it does is thinning the binder and not the pigment.

It's the quality of the pigment. The cheap tube paints does not have very fine pigment and that clogs the guns. Even a lot of thinning will not help. All it does is thinning the binder and not the pigment.
Gotcha - thanks!

Ponz

If it works, it works, but keep in mind that product is designed for paint you would use to paint your house. The results may or may not translate to airbrush paint. Make sure you give it a solid try out before you use it for something you care about. Hopefully the results are good. :)

If it works, it works, but keep in mind that product is designed for paint you would use to paint your house. The results may or may not translate to airbrush paint. Make sure you give it a solid try out before you use it for something you care about. Hopefully the results are good. :)

Thanks - well the label says acrylics as well, so we shall see. I'm still in the infancy stages right now anyway.

Ponz

Back