TIP DRY, NOZZLE DRY, ITS ALL DRIED! Seeking knowledge.

N

Nathan

OK, so last night I purchased the Createx Opaque Airbrush Color Set. Very excited, I rush home to the piece I had already prepared, drop some paint straight into the gun and start my work. The first couple very detailed lines come out fantastic, then BAM....nothing. The paint had completely dried on the needle, and I mean very thick all the way up the needle, in the nozzle and all through the gun. So I had to disassemble the gun to clean it out. So, my question is. Does the paint need to reduced? If so what ratio? I know they say milk, but that's fairly vague and obviously this airbrush hobby has very undefined limits lol. Do I need a medium? I don't even know what a medium is, I have just seen it all over the net and stores. Thank you in advance for the help, I'm sorry if I don't reply quickly, it's tax season! :beaten:

Compressor w/ 2 gal. tank
Paasche Talon .38mm
35-45 regulated Psi
Water/air filter

I tried out createx my self a year ago and hated it, even with serious over thinning I couldn't get it through a .35 set up without major tip dry, I gave up with the stuff and now only use it with a hairy brush for my models, the problem with the stuff is it it heavily pigmented, which means even thinning it doesn't help much.

Medium simply refers to anything that goes into you paint for specific purpose, i.e. there thinning mediums, there clearing mediums, there are cleaning mediums and transparent mediums to use as a stand alone finish or to add to your paint to make it transparent, it's just general term.

I suggest you try another paint like etac, comart, wicked or specratex, although others will tell you what they use, I use Schminke aerocolur but only because I have loads of it, I wouldn't recommend it since it's difficult for erasing and such.

OK, so last night I purchased the Createx Opaque Airbrush Color Set. Very excited, I rush home to the piece I had already prepared, drop some paint straight into the gun and start my work. The first couple very detailed lines come out fantastic, then BAM....nothing. The paint had completely dried on the needle, and I mean very thick all the way up the needle, in the nozzle and all through the gun. So I had to disassemble the gun to clean it out. So, my question is. Does the paint need to reduced? If so what ratio? I know they say milk, but that's fairly vague and obviously this airbrush hobby has very undefined limits lol. Do I need a medium? I don't even know what a medium is, I have just seen it all over the net and stores. Thank you in advance for the help, I'm sorry if I don't reply quickly, it's tax season! :beaten:

Compressor w/ 2 gal. tank
Paasche Talon .38mm
35-45 regulated Psi
Water/air filter

Createx standard is textile paint design for a .5 set up .
So using it in anything smaller it will need reduction. Water will work fine for reducing it . Start with 3 drops of water to 1 drop of paint. if you feel it is still not thin enough add more water.
Skim milk is a hard thin to understand for a lot of folks
Also you will really want to filter the paint for the smaller nozzle size.

Oh yeah, been there done that. Opaques are the worst to learn with. They have the most tip dry. Luckily the createx can be made to work. Try a reduction of 8:1 water to paint. This will give a fairly loose paint but should work ok. Standard created is reduced with water, there is a clear medium, but it's only designed for more transparency, not for thinning the consistency. Also use about 30-35 psi of air pressure. To spray that paint un reduced you would need a larger bore needle, I'm thinking .75mm, and about 60-80 psi. Not too bad if doing shirts or walls, but not so great for smaller finer work.

I assume you bought the paint at a Hobby Lobby. If so, next time grab some Wicked, or Wicked detail,and the w500 reducer, run that reduced about 4:1 to start. It will be more forgiving. And if needed reduce more, hell 20:1 is not unheard of depending on desired effect.

Damn MB and Herb, you guys type faster than I do, or were already in the process.

Damn MB and Herb, you guys type faster than I do, or were already in the process.

That's cos I've got one those old age type keyboards with light-up keys the size of beer mats and the letter light up, specially designed for geriatrics like me, lol, I got it as a present form the old folks home where I am an honorary member, ha ha ha

And it's so good I can type with my elbows, I don't even have to put down my mar-mite sandwich, lol

Alright, I will try it reduced and see how it does. If not, I will try the wicked. I just wish there was a sign saying buy this or "This will work". Does the wicked need to be reduced or is it ready to spray?

Alright, I will try it reduced and see how it does. If not, I will try the wicked. I just wish there was a sign saying buy this or "This will work". Does the wicked need to be reduced or is it ready to spray?

You will literally reduce everything you ever use, unless your going for complete coverage in one foul blast, reducer is as important a part of your kit as the paint it'self, If you don't believe me, ask Captain Micron, lol

That's why before buying ask it here... you will get good answers. But keep that standard createx, you may want to paint textiles at some point.

Buy some Com Art... Ready to use out of the bottle, you can thin it with straight water... flows great, good to learn with. Then come back to you createx later and beat that MoFo into submission... ;-)

Oh and get the 40% off coupon online for hobby lobby and save a few bucks.

Yea, unfortunately my hobby lobby had and not much more. Unless I was an Iwata user, then i would have been in heaven.

Mine has almost nothing, Iwata or otherwise... I could fit their entire airbrush area in a small overnight bag...

Important note: I never ever thin my paint ever, I merely thicken my thinners with some colour, ha ha ha

Important note: I never ever thin my paint ever, I merely thicken my thinners with some colour, ha ha ha

Yeah me too. I usually do a minimum of 4:1, most times it's more than that. I had to buy ten times the reducer than I have paint. :D

[SUB]It seems, we are, the red head step children of the art world. Thats suits me fine... Id rather blend out than blend in...[/SUB]

If your Lobby carries Iwata, then look for the ComArt paints. As mentioned earlier, they spray well, right out of the bottle. The only thing I don't care for is the 1oz. bottles, but hey. Picked up the ComArt G Set the other day using the coupon. Couldn't pass it up. If you can download their app to your phone,it will be updated weekly. So, you'll always have a coupon with you.

Yeah but I heard you are using the Crap HOK thinner to put color in ......LMAO

I like that saying MB..

Back