Tips for painting in humid conditions?

Not exactly, fans cooling the air prior to entering the compressor doesn't really affect anything, any installed fan is to try to cool the motor itself as its the compression stroke that heats the air and the motor to high temps, if a fan helps dry the air a bit going in that may help or cool the motor then better for life of the compressor, but hot air in a hot environment is the best conditions as your matching outside heat with higher heated air that does cool quickly anyway to match ambient temperature and no condensation should occur in that condition, if its dry air.
Thats basically dessert conditions which luckily I have :) In summer anyway LOL as cold as crappers now. Most air has some degree of water built in and nothing but a trap will really help match those perfect conditions. Condensation is more of a drama to colder/wetter environments as that's when the air is already wet and the higher air temperature inside the pipe reacts more dramatically with the outside cold. Dehumidifying the air is the only real way to actually remove the water but proper setups for compressors ain't cheap..but saying that the cheapest invention, gravity :) can be used pretty easy to help trap water..

Yup, I agree... I think another water trap would be the best solution... or at least the one I can afford right now lol I took my compressor apart and gave a good clean to everything I could find, I also had it blowing air without the airbrush attached, so it could spit the water that was inside. There was plenty of water inside, probably in the hose, but it seems I managed to get it all out... today painted for about an hour and no water :) Still don't understand how that amount of water got inside... First time it happens to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe check this out guys, http://www.compressedaircooling.com/ but your both correct, it makes no difference whatsoever;)

And I didn't actually say a second trap wasn't necessary, it was already suggested so I didn't need to repeat it:)

I have to admit, I was starting to doubt myself and had to just check to make sure that the cooling systems built onto some compressors weren't only there to make the compressor look macho:)

In periods of high relative humidity your compressor is taking in humid air and producing more water than it normally would which is why I recommended a dehumidifier for the area you are working in, which I thought was the main topic of this particular threado_O

Maybe check this out guys, http://www.compressedaircooling.com/ but your both correct, it makes no difference whatsoever;)

And I didn't actually say a second trap wasn't necessary, it was already suggested so I didn't need to repeat it:)

I have to admit, I was starting to doubt myself and had to just check to make sure that the cooling systems built onto some compressors weren't only there to make the compressor look macho:)

In periods of high relative humidity your compressor is taking in humid air and producing more water than it normally would which is why I recommended a dehumidifier for the area you are working in, which I thought was the main topic of this particular threado_O

It is hahah I just got deviated out of frustration :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats an aftercooler @Malky and in essence just a basic heat exchanger and you can make one really easily buy buying a coiled hose LOL. But cooling prior to combustion stroke makes no diff, cooling it faster after does as the article mentioned but you want to do that cooling process fast so the air unloads as much water as possible into the hose before a water trap. most water traps attached directly to the tank itself on a compressor are useless and too close to the actual air supply to be effective as little cooling has yet to take place, a lot of cooling can happen in the tank by adding a cold air source outside but its also getting constantly pumped into with hot air from compression so again makes no real difference to try cool air prior, dehumidifying it is not about cooling air but about drying it..;)

A coil hose between the compressor and the regulator/trap block goes a long way.

You can also DIY an active cooling condenser to go between the compressor and regulator fairly easily/cheaply. Google "fog chiller". Though these may not be cheap to operate long term, as they require a lot of ice. Might be able to make a small one using Peltier circuits instead, but that's just me blue-sky brainstorming.

I like the dehumidifier idea. Maybe enclose it in a box/cabinet with the compressor in order to focus its effort on the compressor.

The absolute solution would be to switch to a CO2 tank setup. That carries a recurring cost that the compressor doesn't, but depending on how much you spray, and what the cost for tank refills are in your area (and don't forget to subtract the electricity cost of your compressor too), it could work out to a reasonable price for the convenience of never having to faff with or worry about any of this stuff ever again. This is probably what I'd do if I lived in an area where humidity required me to go overboard on the traps and such.

Last edited:
Back