TIPS to get the most from IWATA HP-AH?

*MRC*

Double Actioner
Greetings and hope everyone is well. Just got an HP-AH on closeout! 🙌

It's quite different from the HP-CS that I have just recently started using. The HP-AH (same as the A, just with MAC valve) seems a bit fussy but was fun to use. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for using the HP-AH style of brush to get consistent fine lines out of it and just using it in general.

I do have one observation/question: mixed 8 drops reducer to 3 of Createx (spilled a little, small cavity!). The line was thin & sharp to start, but got quite thick & messy a bit later. A let down, but thought it would get sorted.I added a bunch of water to start cleaning it, but tested it one last time & voila! Once again the line was thin (but lighter, of course). Perhaps the reducer didn't have time to mix properly? Any explanation for why the line may have gone from fine to quite thick before adding the water? Just trying to learn!

Thank you for any of your comments about the AH. I'm very excited to use this for the forseeable future! 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 6
Hello,

I have no experience with either Iwata nor Createx. However, in my experience with a Badger 100SG (similar A size cup):
2v2efdnfNxJ21ND.jpg

The amount of paint is so small that the mixing is critical. If I am mixing a 2 oz. jar, a drop or two will make no big difference. But in this case, a drop can represent 25% of it. So the mix ratio is more critical. It also needs to be properly mixed for the same reason of been very little amount. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I put thinner first then add the paint if mixing in the brush itself. For mixing I use a flattened toothpick and I mix and stir, mix and stir, mix and stir... then mix and stir a bit more to ensure the dilution is proper. Even with that an occasional cough or spit may happen.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ismael

I posted this elsewhere in response - but just in case -
"The .2 nozzle from Iwata is the one I use the most, whether in an Iwata brush, or in something I may have restored to work with Iwata nozzles. That said, I have a love/hate relationship with Createx paints. There are days that I get the same exact experience you are describing, and then there are days that I can work work hours at a time without issue. I tend to reduce as much (if not more) with just water, as the 4000 series reducers seem to cause more issues than they solve (at times). I have found for the days I struggle, I tend to keep other brands of paint on hand that will be compatible with the Createx in my final product. My go-to is E'tac. Stuff is super easy to work with. It just is not as workable after application as the Createx, which is the only reason I don't use it full time. Golden Highflow is another I use a ton of."

Oh, and I mix my paint in a small cup, not in the brush, and transfer with either an eye dropper, or soft paint brush.

Thank you Corvette and Dave! :thumbsup:

I've been practicing every evening with the HP-CS, where I can easily add x amounts of paint & reducer and get immediate feedback. With the tiny cavity on the AH, I quickly learned it's best to have a pre-mix ready to go. I'll use pipettes to insert the mix.

I will experiment with other paint products. E'tac is one that has been recommended to me, as well, so thank you.

CONSISTENT FINE LINES
The main thing I am trying to achieve in my work is a reliably consistent fine line. I do fairly intense detail work (without airbrushes) at my job. I want to bring the airbrush into that situation. When the AH is working properly (I understand I am responsible for how well it works - or doesn't!), I can achieve beautiful fine lines & great detail. I've been immediately impressed by the .2 nozzle (and look forward to working with a .18).

I am experimenting with paint/reducer mixes, am conscientious of tip dry and will start filtering paints soon, so I am trying everything I know. If anyone has advice for achieving consistently great lines from small nozzles, I'm all ears. In any case, I'm happy to put in the hours, learn the tools, and get where I want to go. :cool:

just gonna throw this out there as food for thought - sometimes the airbrush isn't the right tool for fine detail. There are many instances that I may choose to use a different technique to achieve the detail I am after - I may use a fine paint brush. To help soften edges, I may then go over it with a finely reduced mix in the airbrush...

If you really want to learn detailed work, I suggest giving Steve Leahy a peek Monday nights on Facebook. He does a live feed every Monday night that is always fun, and informative. I assure you, you will not find anyone doing smaller, more detailed work that is so willing to share the skills involved... for free!

Thank you, Dave!

Completely agree, sir. I use a ton of other applications in my work and they get the job done.
I am experimenting with airbrushes to see if there's anything they can bring to the process as an add-on.

Thanks so much for the Leahy tip. I'm very excited to check out his Monday night livestreams. Thank you for the heads up!

It's quite different from the HP-CS that I have just recently started using. The HP-AH (same as the A, just with MAC valve) seems a bit fussy but was fun to use. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for using the HP-AH style of brush to get consistent fine lines out of it and just using it in general.

I do have one observation/question: mixed 8 drops reducer to 3 of Createx (spilled a little, small cavity!). The line was thin & sharp to start, but got quite thick & messy a bit later. A let down, but thought it would get sorted.I added a bunch of water to start cleaning it, but tested it one last time & voila! Once again the line was thin (but lighter, of course). Perhaps the reducer didn't have time to mix properly? Any explanation for why the line may have gone from fine to quite thick before adding the water? Just trying to learn!

Thank you for any of your comments about the AH. I'm very excited to use this for the forseeable future! 🙂

I have the HP-A and use it mostly for doing final details when I know I'm only going to be using 'a few drops' of paint.
you have inadvertently helped me out (and hopefully others) and I can guarantee the thread will turn into a paint discussion as I'm 99% sure the HP-AH you have is NOT your issue.

I am really happy you posted this,
the line was thin & sharp to start, but got quite thick & messy a bit later.

I've started getting back to my airbrush after nearly two years of real life getting in the way and last weekend I had EXACTLY this issue.
I was using the HP-CS and Createx Illustration paint thinned roughly 50:50 with 4011 reducer - I was only doing practice so it was just by eye. I mixed in a spare bottle, let it sit over night, next day I gave it a really good stir, shake, mix. Strained it into another bottle but it still looked a little thick so I reduced it a little more.
While I let it sit while I got the rest of my workspace ready. Coffee, compressor, tunes . . . all the important stuff.

Like you it was fine for awhile, then I was getting inconsistent lines, too thick, gaps, etc etc etc.

I'm guessing my efforts were much like yours at this point... lots of scratching your head, talking yourself through what you did to make sure you haven't missed anything important. triple checked your PSI, flushed the brush, cleaned the needle and started again, with the same result.

My assumption at that point was the bottle of paint I had was bad (old, but I wanted to use it up for practise). So I grabbed an equally old bottle of ETAÇ EFX and the results were night and day. The Etac just worked, and worked for about a dozen 3/4 full C cups until my shoulder started aching so I cleaned the brush and stopped for the day.

I am also glad @DaveG stated he has a love/hate relationship with Createx. I was beginning to think it was me that was having varied results with Createx. When it's dialled in it's amazing to work with but there are times I could cheerfully throw it out the window.
This weekend I'm planning on trying just distilled water with the same bottle of paint I have been using (remembering it's 10+years old) and seeing what happens. It's now more of a journey of discovery to see if the same paint can give different results with distilled water. Dave may be onto something with the problems with the 4000 range of reducers being problematic (no, the reducer I have is not 10 years old. 2 years old roughly. I bought it just before I broke my shoulder)

Steve Leahy is the best at small art and joining his live feed is great fun. You'll see a few of your forum buddies in the chat as well as some BIG names joining in.

This is exactly why we encourage people to share their issues / thoughts. you never know who you could be helping.

Wow, Jack - brilliant!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
Yeah, I don't mind figuring things out, so long as it's not entirely on my own 🙃😉
It'll be a while, but I'll definitely give the Etac a go and report back.

For now I'll try mixing distilled water, reducer, and the Createx (it's all I've got) and see what results I get.
I love the .2 nozzle. It's crazy what a difference it makes!

Which Createx line are you using? The illustration line is the most consistent of the Createx variants. Like DaveG, I too use a lot of Golden High Flow. Comart is another great choice. Createx recommends letting the paint rest 10 minutes after mixing with 4011 reducer. The illustration colors are best mixed with distilled water. Once you get the pressure and mixing worked out, you'll find the AH to be a detail mechine.

Thanks, Dude.

Using Illustration. I've tried both 4011 and distilled water, yet continue to run into some odd and unreliable spray patterns. Everything is clean, I'm aware of tip dry, etc. It's weird. I've recently purchased some small paint straining cups for my bottle(s), so going to give that a go next time around, sir. Thanks so much for the advice.
I've been looking at 0.18 brushes, but I think holding off is wise until I've at least found my comfort zone with the 0.2 AH brush. Thank again for taking some of your time to comment. I appreciate it.

I have HP-AH as well as ECL-350T (which is similar to HP-CS). I spray-tested them using Mr. Color GX series and I don't see any spray pattern inconsistency.
When you do fine-line you'll always have the trouble of tip-dry which stops the paint from coming out of the nozzle, so maybe you're experiencing is actually tip-dry instead of "paint magically becomes thicker"?
I would imagine your HP-CS exhibits tip-dry quite differently than your HP-AH because HP-CS outputs stronger air than the HP-AH, in which case paint is easier to spray. Plus HP-CS has a larger nozzle size which again means paint is easier to spray.

After all, I'm using a totally different paint than you do, so my words may not make sense in your case:p.

Thanks, 444.
I haven't brushed in a couple of days as I'm now knee deep in a work project.
I've bought some strainers for the paint so am looking forward to trying that out.
Fiddling with getting the balance of paint/thinner/distilled water is in order.
I'm pretty conscious of the tip dry thing on both bushes. The first thing I researched and have taken to heart is maintaining the brush. The airbrush community is extremely helpful in this and many other regards. It's actually had a beneficial run-off effect as I've taken time to look at the proper care of other tools I use.
I really do appreciate the time to comment and am looking forward to the next session.

Back