To clear, or not to clear...that is the question

Karl Becker

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Just a random one based on things I've watched and read.

When you are painting primarily on paper/canvas/etc., when and why would you clear over it? I know that clear coating is going to add depth and make the colors pop. I'm wondering what factors into the decision to clear something vs. leaving it as-is?

Lets leave automotive and other hard surfaces out of this, as you are pretty much going to clear those every time.

Thanks for any input! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I’ll do a couple of light layers of something like Createx uvls once the paint is totally cured
A) to make the colours pop
B) add a protective layer.
I’ve had uncleared test pieces (Createx paint) laying around that I’ve wiped (not rubbed) with damp paper towel and the paint will show on the towel. The clear coat adds a layer of protection

sometimes it depends... sometimes when working on a piece, it may be necessary to re-work a section with more layers of paint, or more paint manipulation than the rest of the piece. The added layers of paint, or additional work in a particular area can alter the way the paint looks versus the surrounding area(s). It can wind up looking glossy or brighter in comparison... so, I may choose to top coat the piece to even out the finish.

Last edited:
I think between the two you’ve pretty much got it man. Protection would be probably the main reason. Bring the colours to life would be another depending on what end result is wanted. Lots of time art will be covered by a satin or Matt clear which doesn’t effect the colour in the same way as gloss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it to protect the paint too as I mainly use etac which is quite delicate. However it also acts as a leveller, not in the height/thickness of the paint but when you paint heavier or lighter or for instance if you use a hairy stick, the paint will not lay down the same and you may have shiny parts compared to the parts that are airbrushed which are usually matt. Laying a clear whether its gloss satin or matt will even all that out,

Back