Todays Lesson

beginner-James

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hi peeps
I've been painting today.
I've been painting on my clayboard and O'my god this stuff is fantastic
Make a mistake you can lightly sand it back (2000 grit).
But the clayboard has it's limitations over thinned paint is really hard to use I found it was like grainy to look at and I had my PSI down as it was to thin it was hard to not get a mottle looking pattern So I went to a 1:2 on my water and a lot less tip dry thanks to malky recommending 5% glycerine in my water. I will post my weekend work on Monday as I haven't done a lot as I've been blowing dots and lines most of my painting time today.

Lesson today don't over thin your paint James

Beginner-James

Grainy spray is probably because of too low pressure since you have thinned your paint. I would try with a slightly higher psi but this means you need to hone your trigger control to stop any spidering.

Lee

Grainy spray is probably because of too low pressure since you have thinned your paint. I would try with a slightly higher psi but this means you need to hone your trigger control to stop any spidering.

Lee
I was getting a lot of overspray with the over thinned paint as well so I started again with the paint. So I came to the conclusion I have thinned it far far to much.
Beginner-James

I have found yupo in the flowing size a A2 size 10 sheets 27.00 free postage so I have ordered some.

For my first clayboad I'm very impressed however it's not perfect their are pin prick holes in some places but I'm sure that will get better the more I do I was trying to hurry it a long by putting hot air paint stripper to dry it out for the next coat and then putting it in the conservatory where It must have been close to 50 degrees It has even split the first layer of veneer at the under side I'm not worried as it's never going to be hanged on anyone wall.

One more lesson learn today (Every day is a school day) as the saying goes.

You are in control of the airbrush not the air brush controlling you. Practice was great BUT when I started to paint on my Leopard I was getting tip dry after every small shading area even the very small one on the tracing map. I also found out because of watching the above link that move slow and support the airbrush YOU ARE in control of the trigger but most of all be smooth in you movements( the chicken spots have nearly gone) not only slow, smooth but also I noticed I was tense also when I have a small are or a thin pattern I would move my brush closer with out reducing the pressure which would give me a line and not a blend.

But my main discovery today is NOT TO USE THE TRIGGER STOP.
with the trigger stop engaged I'm restricting my blends and lines also as you can't give the airbrush a heavy flush of paint on a scrap piece of paper/kitchen towel every now and again this alone was the main factor of my TIP DRY.

Beginner-James

Back