Tonyck

T

Tonyck

Hi everyone, trying to find my way around airbrush forum, having joined yesterday, I am finding difficult, but I think I have now arrived to introduce myself. I live in Queensland Australia and tried to teach myself airbrushing about three years ago without success, but am now determined to to succeed. I have two airbrushes, an Iwata hp ch and a Paasche vlo508. I suspect in the hands of the right person some excellent work could be produced, especially with the Iwata, but I don't seem to be able to get clear lines and sometimes get star shapes when I am practising dots, I am using acrylic paint. Can anyone help me I would love some personal tuition, to get me really started. I used to paint in oils which I have stated in my profile if anyone would like to read it, which will describe me a little more. Looking forward to reading your comments and would love yo receive emails from members. I love the word love which seems very significant word used in airbrush forum.

Welcome home Tonyck,
Our fearless leader AirbrushTutor aka Mitch has some really great Video for you to watch and may help you .
you can find them here:Airbrush Tutor - YouTube
You do have two very nice brushes and I know we should be able to get you painting better soon.

Welcome to the forum from the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thankyou Mr Micron, I will do as you request and thankyou for your advice.
Tonyck

If you watch the Airbrush Totor vids, all the older ones Mitch uses an iwata HP-CH, in the newer ones he also has a Badger Krome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:beguiled:you got there some good guns,you can´t be wrong with those!!!

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:beguiled:you got there some good guns,you can´t be wrong with those!!!
Thankyou Ultraz, have to now learn to shoot with them.
tonyck

Welcome to the forum from sunny England.

Tony, AB'ing doesn't just happen, you have to work on the basic skills first although its boring BUT it does really help along the way. Your skills will quickly build and you will be creating masterpeices before you know it.

Can you tell us what paints you are using, This will help us help you. It could just be a simple case of thinning them down or something like that. Another thing I do all the time now is strain my paints after I suffered trouble and blockages with a branded paint. You can get inexpensive paper paint strainers for this.

Give us as much info as you can and someone will be able to help out maybe more :) Main thing is that you AB without much trouble and then you will enjoy the experience.

Regards

Lee

Last edited:
welcome tonyck, great to have you on board buddy!!! loads of information all ready on this forum , getting bigger every day in terms of member numbers and also knowledge being shared..... you are in safe hands my friend, safe hands!!!

Hi Lee, as an ex-pom,I understand sunny England. The greatest thing I did in my life was at 64 and I am now 78 was to move to Australia
and marry a wonderful Australian lady. I am now a 100% Australian with a pommy dialect. May I say Thankyou for your interest and positive enthusiasm. The paints I am using are Tamiya acrylic paint bought from a hobby shop and Jo sonja's
artists colours acrylic paints which I thin with distilled water. Will this help in trying to put me on the right path?
Thankyou again,
Tony

Hi ad fez, In two days I am beginning to realise what you are saying. I am blown away with the great support I am receiving.
Cheers
Tony

well im glad tony, we are a helpful polite bunch and i think you will fit in just grand! the distilled water will certainly help, some people have made a home brew using (non amonia based) windolene, distilled water, and a drop or 2 of glycerine....

Welcome aboard Tony, Im from Oklahoma, USA! Anything worth while takes time, so give it some time and you will see things progress. One of the hardest things for me when I first started was finding the SWEET SPOT! Thats when you get things flowing smoothly. 1: reduction. Once you get your reduction dialed in it really helps and everyones will be a bit different! 2: air pressure. Finding that link where your air pressure and reduction meet and work well together will help you get better flow. 3: TRIGGER CONTROL. THIS IN MY OPINION IS MOST IMPORTANT. With great trigger control comes better flow, better lines and just flat out more enjoyable painting!! Once you dial these three steps in, your painting will improve drastically! Wish you the best of luck and I honestly believe yoou will LOVE AIRBRUSHING!!

A warm central Texas USA welcome to the forum Tonyck. Sorry I don't have any answers for you because I am not educated in airbrushing yet. You should get some good answers here from those in the know.

well im glad tony, we are a helpful polite bunch and i think you will fit in just grand! the distilled water will certainly help, some people have made a home brew using (non amonia based) windolene, distilled water, and a drop or 2 of glycerine....
Helpful yes, polite might be pushing it a bit LOL!!!!!! Welcome to the site Tony from dear old blighty!. Almost everyone has the same issues when they start out so don't be disheartened. As Russ said you need to find your sweet spot. It's confusing because you probably are looking for specifics, i.e this paint mixture works with this air pressure. But as mentioned it's different for everyone, even different colours of the same paint brand don't behave in the sameway. Even if you had the same brush, same paint and same air pressure, as someone else it may not work the same as there are too many variables. Even temperature and humidity will have an effect. So it's going to need some experimentation. It's not as bad as it seems , once you get it, it becomes second nature. The rule of thumb is the more you reduce your paint, the lower you turn your pressure. Play around with your paint/reducer (or water if that's what you're using) and keep reducing drop by drop, adjusting pressure as needed until you get a good clean paint flow, and then write it down for future reference. Fuzzy lines could be because you have the gun quite far away from the surface of the paper, or because you may need to reduce more and the brush is struggling to spray paint that is too thick. Spidering when doing dots could be because you have over thinned the paint, or because too much paint is coming out too quickly and as the brush isn't moving it 'spiders'. A bit of practice and trigger control will soon sort that Good luck, shout out if you get stuck!

Thanks Russell Allen, please excuse my ignorance, I can't comprehend reduction. I like the phrase sweet spot when one knows one has, Got it!!

Thanks Squishy, this is great information, I will certainly try what you say, it makes so much sense.
Cheers
Tony

Back