Top 10 troubleshooting tips - part 3

K

KenBadger

7)Air leakage at threaded connection:A.Parts not securely tightened / On finger tight assembly nozzles, firmly grip connecting parts in fingers and tighten.Some components may require wrench/pliers to properly snug together.It is advisable to pad wrench/pliers to avoid marring the components.Never use excessive force when tightening airbrush components.B.Threads not sealed / some airbrushes, designed with easier maintenance finger tight assembly nozzles, will have slight air leakage at nozzle connections.This slight air leakage is expected and incorporated into the nozzle’s design. Air leakage is a concern if the airbrush does not atomize properly.In instances where the airbrush does not atomize properly - if the air leakage is at the nozzle, it is recommended to seal the nozzle threads with bee’s wax or chapstick.If the air leakage is at the hose/valve casing connection, it is recommended to wrap the male threads of the connection with PTFE “plumber’s tape”.

8) Grainy spray/finish:A.Media not properly thinned / Media should be the viscosity equivalent of skim milk to spray properly.Add thinning agent to reduce the media to proper viscosity.B. Inadequate air pressure / make sure your air source is supplying adequate air pressure: Gravity feed airbrush 10-20psi (.7-1.3 bar) / Bottom feed airbrush 18-28psi (1.2-2 bar)

9) Centipede/spider spray patterns or buckling surface: A. Media is too thin / Remix media or start with fresh media that is proper viscosity (equivalent of skim milk) for spraying.B. Too much media released while spraying close to the surface / Do not slide the trigger back too far, releasing too much media, when working close to the surface.C. Media applied too heavily / Apply media in lighter coats – allowing one coat to dry before applying another.

10) “Barbell”spray patterns, flared spray pattern ends, and/or curved spray pattern:A. Improper spray technique / Begin airbrush stroke before depressing and sliding trigger back and return trigger to forward position and release trigger before ending spray stroke.Maintain proper distant from sprayedsurface.For fine lines, slide trigger back very little and spray close to surface. For a broad spray, slide trigger back further – and move airbrush away from the surface you are spraying until achieving desired spray width.B. Turning wrist at end spray stroke or arcing closer to the surface during the spray stroke / Maintain airbrush’s distance from surface while spraying. Learn and practice proper triggering technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very informative Ken,
Can you use a larger font next time tho, I nearly had to climb into the screen to read that lmao.
Welcome to AT

There ya' go jacksparrow. My font is bigger than your font. :)

ken badger the man, lol i my first airbrush was a badger about22 years ago... glad to have ya here....

Thanks Ken, just how i like it lol,
my first airbrush was a badger as well and still going strong after 15 yrs of misuse :applause:

Back