top vs side

M

magicdrafna

Hey guys i was wondering if you had any suggestions what a decent but cheap top and side feed would be. At the moment im using siphon feeds, and i dont have any issues with them but before i go and buy a nice brush i want to know if its one i will like. So with that i want to try out a top and side-feed before i decide what style to buy. I like being able to look down to top of my siphon feed so my immediate inclination is a side feed, but top feed is the most popular for a reason.

Thanks

i like having a clear barel to top feeds are popular cause its easy to mix paint side feeds are awesome tio work with i use a micron cmsb iwata also makes a side feed hp model that looks aweasome as well as for top feeds im not sure of your budget but bad ger has a patriot a krome velocity thain theres the infinity .it wood bee more helpfull if we new what you were painting

Of all the side feeds I have seen, the Iwata makes the most sense. it doesnt waste paint and the design of the cup is brilliant :)

Hi Magic,
Here's a YouTube video I made of my 2 Iwata side-feed airbrushes. The Eclipse HP-SBS 0.35mm and HP-SB+ 0.2mm Not only do I like the unobstructed view of the side-feed I also love the versatility of the different sized cups and bottles you can use as well as the fact you can put them on either side of the airbrush and tilt the cups to stop spilling paint at almost any angle. I also use little plastic cups that I can premix paint in, take them off the airbrush with paint in them and store the paint in the cup for weeks. It also makes colour changes very easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliSlSp_Y50

My Olympos Micron 0.23mm is a Top feed and if I tilt the cup slightly to the right it doesn't get in the view too much but I prefer a side feed for it's general use and versatility. One of these days/years I will also probably buy an Iwata Micron side-feed CM-SB 0.18mm and put my Olympos 0.23mm setup in it but I got a very good deal on my Olympos and I wanted the 0.23mm size and they don't do an Olympos Micron side-feed, sadly. I do love my Olympos Micron but I do wish they had a side-feed option.

I have bought a lot of small 15ml flip top bottles and can premix paint in them so I can add as much or as few drops of paint into the cup at a time if I want. Or I can just put in Com-Art paint straight from the bottle. This means that you only need to use the ONE metal side-feed cup that comes with the airbrush.
Cheers Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Micron SB but I also love my HP-B too. My Super 63 is an "A" model with just a reservoir in the AB no cup love that aswell.

Lee

It is a loaded question being for the most part we all have tried the different types of airbrushes , Bottom feed you need higher air pressure to pull the paint up the tube , T-shirt artist love them cause they usually have 5 to 10 of them loaded with different color paints.
While I started with a bottom feed I really had a hard time with the bottle hitting the surface and hated it.
Side feed feels off balanced to me and at time I would find paint spilling out of the cup if I hit the wrong angle.
while I have a clear view over the top of the nozzle area it just did not fit the way I paint.
So gravity feed for me felt natural so that is why I choose it.
So asking which is better is a personnel thing and nothing else,
I have see killer over the top art done with all of them . so mainly buy which one you think you want to try and use the most .
Buy it and if you are not happy with it save up and by the other.

It is a loaded question being for the most part we all have tried the different types of airbrushes , Bottom feed you need higher air pressure to pull the paint up the tube , T-shirt artist love them cause they usually have 5 to 10 of them loaded with different color paints.
While I started with a bottom feed I really had a hard time with the bottle hitting the surface and hated it.
Side feed feels off balanced to me and at time I would find paint spilling out of the cup if I hit the wrong angle.
while I have a clear view over the top of the nozzle area it just did not fit the way I paint.
So gravity feed for me felt natural so that is why I choose it.
So asking which is better is a personnel thing and nothing else,
I have see killer over the top art done with all of them . so mainly buy which one you think you want to try and use the most .
Buy it and if you are not happy with it save up and by the other.

I totally agree with you Herb. It really is a personal choice and I wouldn't have known that I prefer the side feed if I hadn't tried the top feed as well :)

Sometimes it just feel easier to pull out the Micron Top Feed and put paint in and spray, empty cup, flush, add paint spray, etc. etc. and then I just have one airbrush to clean at the end of the session. No empty paint cups extra to clean, no paint cups with paint in that need the holes blocked up to stop the paint from drying. It's not much difference but sometimes after only using my Top Feed it feels like a luxury to only have to clean the airbrush and nothing else :)

One thing I keep forgetting to mention about the side feed or any airbrush with no cup on top is not really the unobstructed view over the airbrush head, it's the unobstructed view at where I'm going to be painting to. When I'm painting a line, I tend to look at where the line will END and not at the line as I'm going along it. If the line or area I'm painting is small, then I'm looking at where the tip of the airbrush is pointing. If the line is longer I tend to look ahead and that's when the cup at the top can get in the way. I also prefer to put my side feed cup on the left side of the airbrush because I tend to paint more left to right than the other way round if I can help it.

Also Herb, most plastic side feed airbrush cups come with lids, so you won't spill paint anymore than a gravity feed without a lid will :)

I totally agree with you Herb. It really is a personal choice and I wouldn't have known that I prefer the side feed if I hadn't tried the top feed as well :)

Sometimes it just feel easier to pull out the Micron Top Feed and put paint in and spray, empty cup, flush, add paint spray, etc. etc. and then I just have one airbrush to clean at the end of the session. No empty paint cups extra to clean, no paint cups with paint in that need the holes blocked up to stop the paint from drying. It's not much difference but sometimes after only using my Top Feed it feels like a luxury to only have to clean the airbrush and nothing else :)

One thing I keep forgetting to mention about the side feed or any airbrush with no cup on top is not really the unobstructed view over the airbrush head, it's the unobstructed view at where I'm going to be painting to. When I'm painting a line, I tend to look at where the line will END and not at the line as I'm going along it. If the line or area I'm painting is small, then I'm looking at where the tip of the airbrush is pointing. If the line is longer I tend to look ahead and that's when the cup at the top can get in the way. I also prefer to put my side feed cup on the left side of the airbrush because I tend to paint more left to right than the other way round if I can help it.

Also Herb, most plastic side feed airbrush cups come with lids, so you won't spill paint anymore than a gravity feed without a lid will :)

The one I tried had no lid to fit the cup( at least if it did it was not in the set) , But I used it for about a month everyday trying to get a good feel for it.
I even made a rubber stopper cap for the cup to stop the paint from spilling. I will admit putting the cup on the left side was better but still could not really get comfortable with it. ( might be these big hands getting in the way LOL)
but still it is always nice to ask others for opinions and get feed back of why they like it.
at the end of the day it still is a personnel thing:D

My next will be a gravity feed. Bottle fed is great for blowing huge large areas, and I will use mine when I do murals, but I wanted to get into airbrushing to do gas tanks on bikes. As you can imagine those don't take much paint at a time. I feel like I am wasting paint in the bottles. And then there are the days it drops straight off the airbrush and hits the floor. NOT diggin that at all!

The one I tried had no lid to fit the cup( at least if it did it was not in the set) , But I used it for about a month everyday trying to get a good feel for it.
I even made a rubber stopper cap for the cup to stop the paint from spilling. I will admit putting the cup on the left side was better but still could not really get comfortable with it. ( might be these big hands getting in the way LOL)
but still it is always nice to ask others for opinions and get feed back of why they like it.
at the end of the day it still is a personnel thing:D

Yeah the metal cup that comes with the Iwata side feeds doesn't have a lid :) I hardly ever use that cup because I use the plastic cups I bought that do come with lids :) Having said that I don't use the lid when painting and I never spill paint!! So I guess we have very different techniques Herb Ha Ha Ha!! :)

I don't have to worry about the top feed over side feed issue because I'm luck enough to have both and I just pick to right airbrush for the job I'm going to do :) :) Lucky ole, lucky ole, lucky ole meeeeeee!!! Oh sorry was I singing that out loud? Ha Ha Ha!!!

Yeah the metal cup that comes with the Iwata side feeds doesn't have a lid :) I hardly ever use that cup because I use the plastic cups I bought that do come with lids :) Having said that I don't use the lid when painting and I never spill paint!! So I guess we have very different techniques Herb Ha Ha Ha!! :)

I don't have to worry about the top feed over side feed issue because I'm luck enough to have both and I just pick to right airbrush for the job I'm going to do :) :) Lucky ole, lucky ole, lucky ole meeeeeee!!! Oh sorry was I singing that out loud? Ha Ha Ha!!!

Hey I have different airbrushes to use I just choose not to use them...LOL But every once in a while I will pull it out form under the dust and play with it. but it still has not grown on me . May need to order a couple of the plastic cups and give them a try.

Hold on I see what you are trying here mister !!! you are trying to convert me to the dark side feed,,, You thought your jedi mind tricks would work lmao...:D

Hey I have different airbrushes to use I just choose not to use them...LOL But every once in a while I will pull it out form under the dust and play with it. but it still has not grown on me . May need to order a couple of the plastic cups and give them a try.

Hold on I see what you are trying here mister !!! you are trying to convert me to the dark side feed,,, You thought your jedi mind tricks would work lmao...:D

Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaa!! Hee He Hee Heeeeee!! Foiled again LMAO!! "Foiled by the Herbinator I am" "Dam-di bugg-eri Doo-di am I" OK, I'm just going drag my little green skin back into my naughty box and wait for evil things to come and torture me with their nasty light thingies LOL :)
Bring it on Vader, I'm on the shiny side of goodie two shoes :)

Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaa!! Hee He Hee Heeeeee!! Foiled again LMAO!! "Foiled by the Herbinator I am" "Dam-di bugg-eri Doo-di am I" OK, I'm just going drag my little green skin back into my naughty box and wait for evil things to come and torture me with their nasty light thingies LOL :)

Good thing I was not drinking or eating or else I would have had a Madbrush moment ROFLMAO that was funny and made my morning:D

I had bought a Renegade Spirit, just had to try out side feed, see what everyone as raving about. It was not for me. I tend to angle my spray. I kept hitting the cup on the surface of my work. So I sold it. I also m not sold on the weight and feel of the Renegades. I still have my Krome, and that is just smoother, but since I got my Micron, it usually sits in the drawer.

I'm personally not a side feed person either. I used an Iwata HP-SB Plus at the Airbrush getaway and I really did not like the extra cleaning needed on the side cup and the body of the brush. I'm sure it is different when you have multiple cups sitting around, but in the class, we had one. I had to keep removing the bottom of the cup to clean all the paint out before switching colors. There would always be some left over and it would pollute my next color. With more time behind one, would have figured out the quirks and worked around them, but the few days I did use the side feed turned me off to them.

I'm personally not a side feed person either. I used an Iwata HP-SB Plus at the Airbrush getaway and I really did not like the extra cleaning needed on the side cup and the body of the brush. I'm sure it is different when you have multiple cups sitting around, but in the class, we had one. I had to keep removing the bottom of the cup to clean all the paint out before switching colors. There would always be some left over and it would pollute my next color. With more time behind one, would have figured out the quirks and worked around them, but the few days I did use the side feed turned me off to them.

I agree with you jagardn. I don't like the metal cups that comes with the Iwata's side feeds for similar reasons. That's why I bought the different plastic cups to see if they were any better and they were.

Some people really like the original Iwata metal ones though and think they are brilliant engineering. Paint does flow very well through them but I find cleaning them a pain too. The plastic ones are easier to clean in comparison and the Aztek gravity feed cups are brilliant but you can't take those off with paint still in them, work great though, very light, different sizes and cheap :)

Good thing I was not drinking or eating or else I would have had a Madbrush moment ROFLMAO that was funny and made my morning:D

LOL, I think we can all agree, that was a fairly rigorous debate, lol, thanks to both of you, once again, between you, you manged to induce a much needed and welcome smile.

@Herb, "Madbrush moment" love it, I could just see this in the "Oxford Dictionary" "Madbrush moment: The act of spraying food/drink particles through all facial orifices due to an onslaught of uncontrollable laughter at inopportune moments in time or space" LOL

LOL, I think we can all agree, that was a fairly rigorous debate, lol, thanks to both of you, once again, between you, you manged to induce a much needed and welcome smile.

@Herb, "Madbrush moment" love it, I could just see this in the "Oxford Dictionary" "Madbrush moment: The act of spraying food/drink particles through all facial orifices due to an onslaught of uncontrollable laughter at inopportune moments in time or space" LOL

I second that one Ha Ha Ha!! Send if off to the Oxford Dictionary, defo! "Madbrush moment" I love it!

By George call them Oxford folks up and get it in there ...

From now on anyone having a moment like this must use the term Madbrush moment,,,

It is the LAW!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i will say this took off more then i thought it would, and Mr. Micron i wasnt asking what was better i was asking if you could suggest a cheap top-feed. Like im asking myself would one of the cheap Chinese knock off top feeds work ok just for me to learn is this something i can work with. My general thoughts is that if i hate top feeds then i wouldn't have spent alot of money.

thanks

Back