For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Totally Confused!

Discussion in 'Compressors' started by Pottsie, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Pottsie

Pottsie Young Tutorling

Hi there.. I am new and have a question regarding hooking up my Iwata Neo TRN2 to my California Air 1 gallon tank air compressor.. This airbrush appears to have a 1/8 in fitting. I am also seeing it needs a BSP hose fitting? I want to make this as easy as possible but still don't know what I need to do this. Do I have to get a hose with the british fittings or are there adaptors? Thanks in advance..
    doc1, jord001 and Rebecca like this.
  2. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

Sry buddy, I need to ask you to make your official introduction here:
    https://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
    Check few other introduction to get a feeling how to make yours. We all did our introduction, I still remember old days. Mr.Micron hunted me so I made my introduction, few years later I am hunting you :D I wonder what will happen few years down the road -.-

Anyway I am glad we got a new member, I will say nice welcome in your official introduction :D

Welcome dragon.jpg
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Pottsie

Pottsie Young Tutorling

Thanks for the warm greetings!! I introduced myself and can't wait to join the forum!
    huskystafford and jord001 like this.
  4. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Hey Pottsie, where are you located in the world?

The Iwata fitting is as you said a 1/8 bsp however if you buy a hose to fit an Iwata it will fit, no need to worry about if its british or american. As for the compressor it will probably be a 1/4 fitting, again if you get a hose that has 1/8 one end and 1/4 the other end it will fir without adapters. There are adapters to reduce the size ie: 1/4 to 1/8 if needed. Just check the fitting on the compressor and go from there. If its the same as the Iwata its 1/8 if its bigger it will probably be 1/4... You may have a quick disconnect fitted as standard. You should have a spare fitting and that will be 1/4 size.

Airbrushfittings.jpeg

Lee
    huskystafford, Pottsie and JackEb like this.
  5. Pottsie

Pottsie Young Tutorling

Hi Lee and thanks for that valuable info!! I am in the US and bought everything I thought I needed before my Iwata was delivered. So I am better off buying a specific Iwata hose? The compressor is 1/4 inch. I saw some hoses like you posted (1/8 - 1/4 ) but wasn't sure it would fit the gun because of the threads.
  6. jord001

You don't need to buy an Iwata branded hose. Any hose with the 1/8 and 1/4 fittings should work, the threads are standard. Difference with US fittings compared to British ones is that they are tapered and have a fraction difference in the pitch but is so close they still fit.

Lee
    huskystafford, Pottsie and JackEb like this.
  7. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

No need for a specific Iwata hose, most 'airbrush' hoses are a standard thread, different airbrush manufacturers have different threads (EG Badger/Paasche) as shown on the left of the Pic that Lee posted up (photo credit to @AndreZA - its made life easy for a lot of us) but thankfully Iwata will thread straight into the 1/8 end of the airbrush.

as for the end that goes into the compressor you two options.
    • an air hose with 1/8 fitting at one end and a 1/4 fitting for the compressor end
    • an airhose with both ends 1/8 and get a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter to fit the compressor.

you will still need the adapter that suits your compressor to fit into the air hose.

upload_2020-9-24_9-22-47.png

Lee was to quick..... I had to find out how to 'snip' an image on a Mac lol !!
    AndreZA, huskystafford and jord001 like this.
  8. Pottsie

Pottsie Young Tutorling

Thanks Lee! I ordered one today from Amazon! I should be painting by Friday! Yay :)
    huskystafford, jord001 and JackEb like this.
  9. jord001

Yes thanks to @AndreZA for the fittings picture. Its come in handy so many times.

Lee
    AndreZA, huskystafford and JackEb like this.