For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

trace a photo

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by S10n, Nov 12, 2018.

1. S10n

S10n Double Actioner

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find any guide that explain how to trace correctly a photo to make a realistic paint, how to draw the lines, where to use dot lines or shadows etc etc.

I'm currently using a Huion A3 light table sucessfully but when I transfer the image to the canvas in some parts
    it is not very clear and I need to improvise of course affecting the overall appeareance, the objective is to make the photo as accurate as possible!
  2. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

You can make it mono tone or greyscale and just bring the opacity way down and print.
    If you still need to trace just don't bring the opacity as far down.

You can also apply filters to drop greyscale values under a certain point so all but strong shading is dropped.

In any case this will make strong lines more obvious.
    S10n likes this.
  3. S10n

S10n Double Actioner

Thanks!, you mean in Photoshop right? Because the method I'm using is convert the image to black and white, then use gaussian blur to show the outline and then I trace with the light table using a graphite HB2
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  4. Robbyrockett2

Yeah or gimp or whatever.

I just do the greyscale and drop values bc it keeps it accurate but only shows heavy shadows.

If I do it that way at all. I usually just make a stencil that includes some of the curve shapes to use as a freeshield and trace on a few registration points and go to town.
    S10n likes this.
  5. Robbyrockett2

It's better if you don't have to trace and you're just printing it super super light direct to some synthetic paper or something.
    JackEb and S10n like this.
  6. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

if you want a trace that can be erased you will want 2 prints 1 black and white 1 colored version use the black and white one for you trace with graphite paper start with the easy to follow shapes like a nose or lips and progress with tracing the darkest shapes followed by the next shades you can find end with the details you see
    keep the b/w print next to your colored print once you start painting and use it as a guide for the basic painting
    basepaint, S10n and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  7. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Another way to do it is have 2 pictures printed the size of the painting your doing(most print shops will print them for a few dollars each) and use one as a stencil to get your reference marks right and the other as a reference for painting
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    S10n and doc1 like this.
  8. erwin de pan

erwin de pan Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

musicmacd and S10n like this.