Tracing app

I just had a look at this. I find the maximum size image for me is about 37 x 27mm (15 x 11 inches). That's about the limit of the ergonomics. You could probably chop a larger image up digitally and do it in multiple parts with some clever use of reference marks or something - but frankly I think its practical for small images only.

Note: "half silvered glass" is basically a transparent mirror, you could use that mirrored stick on foil that some folks stick to their car windows because they think it makes the car look really really cool when in actual fact they just get laughed at:thumbsup:

hey! I did that to my truck... Only problem is I put it on backwards

I've been doing a little sniffing around and found really interesting, although for some possibly boring stuff, but I found it interesting and that's all that matters, lol

Anyway, down to the serious business end of it, it turns out that this app along with several other free and paid apps on the app store and google play are derived from a non digital version of the same app featured here, the non digital version has been in use since it was first patented in 1807 by William Hyde Wollaston, however the basic optics arrangements were discussed by some geezer called Johannes Kepler in 1611, since he never made a working of it, Wollaston's patent was never challenged, the device was named the Camera lucida" which is Latin meaning Camera = chamber and Lucida = light, therefore, light chamber, the camera lucida was a follow on and improvement on another device called the "camera obscura" also Latin meaning dark chamber, this one derives from a natural phenomenon where light on and around an object would be projected through a small pin hole in another object such as a wall and subsequently be projected inverted onto a third object such as an adjacent wall, for this to work or be visible the third object would need to have less light than the object being projected, apparently historical artists used this phenomenon and the camera lucida to create precise paintings/drawings of their subjects, the camera obscura made way for the invention of the photo camera in 1833 by William Fox Talbot who decided he would prefer a permanent imprint of the image being projected since trying to keep a steady hand was more than difficult for him.

An advanced artist called David Hockney wrote a book called the "secret knowledge, rediscovering the lost techniques of old masters" and this is worth a quick glance:)

looking at the schematic for the camera lucida any one of us could build one in jig time using stuff lying around the house, and it would take not much longer than building a stand for your i-pad, I know I have built far more complicated devices and it would be to me a piece of cake, it would environmentally friendly and save battery life on your digital devices.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

In conclusion, the next time someone asks "Isn't projecting images cheating?" the answer you give is " No, it bloody well isn't because that conniving liar and all round cheating bastard Da Vinci did it and if it's good enough for him, it's damn well good enough for me".

In case anyone else is as tight arsed as me and want to make one of their own so as to save a few bob on the app as well as battery life, here is the schematic;

View attachment 45514
Note: "half silvered glass" is basically a transparent mirror, you could use that mirrored stick on foil that some folks stick to their car windows because they think it makes the car look really really cool when in actual fact they just get laughed at:thumbsup:

LOL, I remember before big screen TV's where a simple box, a couple of mirrors and you could turn that 5 inch tv into a 20 ft TV LOL. Yup its been done for a long time by many traditionalists, as with the use of stencilling and many other things some consider cheating, where that line is for some is a personal thing..

I got this app from the play store and it's pretty much the same as for the iPad except you can't change your image to grey scale like he did.

Back