Transparent base in transparent color

Very interesting thread you've started @huskystafford . Idk know if I'm right about this, but I think that wicked transparent base with wicked colors will run smoother than createx transparent base through a small nozzle. Maybe that's why the price difference?
Createx | Transparent Base 5601 €34,98 960ml
https://www.airbrush4you.de/en/crea...s-for-airbrush-pinstriping-and-more/a-209011/
Createx | Transparent Base 4004 €50,38 960ml
https://www.airbrush4you.de/en/crea...ors-for-airbrush-pinstriping-and-more/a-4004/

Well it's not half the price, but it's still one more expensive then other. I wonder if you are on right track Dimitris.

I was asking this question, cause 960ml createx classic transparent base is half the price of wicked transparent base. SO I was wondering, why wicked one is more expensive.

Very interesting thread you've started @huskystafford . Idk know if I'm right about this, but I think that wicked transparent base with wicked colors will run smoother than createx transparent base through a small nozzle.

Maybe I've been more specific now? :)

Maybe I've been more specific now? :)
I understood you Dimitris. I was just wondering if you are right or wicked trans is just a marketing trick. I know createx illustrator trans base is even more expensive then wicked one, but you guys are shooting those with microns. There must be some difference between all of those trans bases.

That is what I love about this place....you keep me on my toes and make me learn stuff...lol
After searching this subject, I came across this....https://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/transparent-base-5601-vs-transparent-base-4004.20017/
And it seems that the info i found was that there really is two different trans bases....5601 for textile and 4004 for use with Wicked and AutoAir...
I actually think I had a bottle of 5601 and used it with almost evertyhing Createx wise...Not that I do a lot...lol

That is what I love about this place....you keep me on my toes and make me learn stuff...lol
After searching this subject, I came across this....https://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/transparent-base-5601-vs-transparent-base-4004.20017/
And it seems that the info i found was that there really is two different trans bases....5601 for textile and 4004 for use with Wicked and AutoAir...
I actually think I had a bottle of 5601 and used it with almost evertyhing Createx wise...Not that I do a lot...lol
Yep I bought it for t-shirts. For fixing lint and such. But, what if I use it for wooden door? lol

edit: you did remind on Mr.Micron quote:
The 5601 is made for standard Createx while it will mix with Wicked it will also allow the paint to possibly fail on adhesion .
I have learn that the hard way being when Wicked came out I tried using it to have the paint just peel off the hard surface .

Last edited:
Totally agree. Silver powder (metallic) is good example for understanding transparency that it doesn't have.

Making opaque paint to behave like transparent paint we can only allow the pigment not "to touch" each other in the paint layer, but letting the pigment particles to leave some space between them, so the light could go to the bottom layers of previously applied paint, reflect from there, then go to our eyes and to be understood as colour mixture. But here we should continue talking about the colour wheel;)

These days many of the pigments are chemical, not mineral like many time ago. Many of them have transparent and semi transparent features. Dyes unfortunately very colourfast, so if using the candies - UV clears only! If used for outdoors and sunlight.
That works very nicely as an example as Tony said. Describing it as a bigger gap between pigment works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understood you Dimitris. I was just wondering if you are right or wicked trans is just a marketing trick. I know createx illustrator trans base is even more expensive then wicked one, but you guys are shooting those with microns. There must be some difference between all of those trans bases.
Cory and Soto use wicked paints with microns in their videos!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

5601 is the textile, heat setting base. It is fine for hard surfaces too, just as the createx classic line is ,it's a bit softer though and needs heat set or weeks to cure fully.

I think the only problem you might run into practically is when you go to clear it. Shrinkage could be a real issue.

On wood I highly doubt any issue since the substrate itself is kind of soft and there's some serious tooth for the paint to grab.

And since you asked, CI trans base is well, like CI. It's not water resistant for about 24 hours and is kind of weak by comparison, which is why you add 4004 or 4030 to CI for automotive work.

Each trans base will have exactly the same properties as the paint, just minus color.

Back