Transparent Black

otpowell

Double Actioner
I bought some wicked detail black & some wicked detail smoke black thinking it was transparent black. How do I make it transparent? Just reduce it a lot? Will I get the same effect as transparent black? Which brands make transparent black?

I have the wicked reducer.. I didn't see their transparent base @ hobby lobby.. I know spectra-tex has transparent white, didn't see transparent black though. Looking to spray some transparent black over a carbon fiber effect to make it blend and look more real.

They do not carry the trans base at hobby lobby , You will have to order it form Coast airbrush , or Chicago airbrush.

If I sprayed it on without the transparent base, and just with reducer, think ill get
a transparent effect?

Wicked over reduced can give you a pretty good transparent black. Wicked actually will hold up really good over reduced!

Trans base added will help reduce the spidery splattering as it retains some of the paint's original viscosity.
I personally have a lot of issues with spider splatter. I'm certain that this is my own current lack of fine motor skills which is resulting in my splatter, but I will keep trying different methods to give me an "edge".

Trans base added will help reduce the spidery splattering as it retains some of the paint's original viscosity.
I personally have a lot of issues with spider splatter. I'm certain that this is my own current lack of fine motor skills which is resulting in my splatter, but I will keep trying different methods to give me an "edge".

You are not alone sir, I still fight it something awful ad transparent base is my best friend :)

Josh

dont want to put another thread just want to ask if i dont want to overreduce black and just put som e fine grey detatil for the first layer, can I just put a bit black in white to make a soft grey?

dont want to put another thread just want to ask if i dont want to overreduce black and just put som e fine grey detatil for the first layer, can I just put a bit black in white to make a soft grey?

You sure can buddy, but you will fight tip dry a lot, which will make you reduce even more. That is the reasoning am in love with the transparent base mixed with the black to get the light great at first. But everyone has a different plan of attack :)

Josh

whel I have transparent createx collors and also about 240ml of transparent base :) I thought that the trans.base is to reduce the opaque colors to make them trans a bit, so you say if I reduce the black with transparent base, then I will get the grey what i am aiming for? :)

hey caparzo

basically you will reduce the amount of pigment per ml of paint but still have a reasonably viscose paint, one that is less watery and less prone to spidering, therefore you will not make a true grey using black and trans alone but your layers will appear lighter than black alone, the more layers you do however the darker it will get until you eventually get to black

Back