Transparents and pearls, Need opinions please (Not Candy 2o)

PfeifferNC

Young Tutorling
I've been commissioned to paint a lifesize horse in Blue, Silver and Orange tribal and want to give it a bit of flash. Wilth my exp level, I really don't want to hit the Sealer / Quicksilver / Candy route. My plan was to use AutoBorne Silver Sealer, then use the Createx Trans Brite blue mixed 2:1 with the Pearl Blue, rinse and repeat for the Orange. Has anyone ever mixed the transparents with pearls? My issue is that every time I have used the pearls I have had adhesion problems (pulling up removing tape) and this is going to be pretty intricate taping that I need to be perfect. Spraying the whole job with my Airgunsa 1.4mm. Just wondering if this application will still allow a bit of the Silver sealer to peek through while added the flash of the out of the bottle blue and orange pearl?

Planning all the standards, 10%4012 and 1:1 4020 Balancing

Thanks everyone!

if paint is pulled when you remove the tape then you have a surface preparation problem or a tape problem, not a paint problem.
If your substrate is properly prepped and the paint you lay down is properly dry before laying tape on it And you are using proper spray painters tape (low tax) then you won’t have paint lift issues

Thanks man, I totally agree, and like to "think" my prep is excellent, just always have an issue with only the pearls. Last 2 projects, peeled right off like latex. Aside from prep, I think I may not be reducing enough or spraying to thick, see my question on mixing with the transparent color. Hey. New at the solid color basecoat / specialty game, so I appreciate the feedback. May I ask what solvent based degreaser you use or may recommend? I was using denatured alcohol and realized that sure ain't the way the way to go. Using mineral spirits now.

As with any painting on a hard surface you need to give the paint something to hold onto and do multiple LIGHT coats of paint (or sealer/pearl/etc) that is totally dry.
Once you have cleaned, scuffed, cleaned the surface make sure you wear gloves, the slightest touch from skin will leave oils from your skin.
I recently did a rough and ready paint job on a demo derby scenario, washed the car in ‘Dawn’ , rinsed,lightly scuffed with a maroon 3m pad, laid down transparent sealer, then silver base, then blue pearl and the candy2 blue.
lots of taping/masking and not once did the paint lift
759AFD2F-5EAA-4558-8167-F21245E94E9C.jpeg
738E2EE2-1213-439C-91E4-1C549ECCB2B9.jpeg

@Mr.Micron can advise what cleaners, bonding agents are available in your area (I’m in Australia so I don’t wish to confuse you with different names of products)

Yes you can absolutely mix the pearl blue with a transparent blue. however taping over pearls is an issue in itself. Pearls and metallics need to be locked down and coated before taping on them.... the reason being it can damage them with no protection. If it were me? Id either a mix dry pearls with transparent blue. And spray that. Or B and most likely I would use the aluminum base. Especially if you are using the silver sealer already. Or you could mix candy in with the metallics which would be even more bling. Its much easier to avoid streaking putting the colorant with the metallics. But changing colors its much easier to spray the metallic intercoat that and then taping off for the colors over it.

The silver sealer is so good a match you really can do 2 very light coats of metallics on top for coverage. Pearls generally will pop off a dark background much much better than the silver sealer. Its truly an entirely different look. Your adhesion issues with pearls may be laying it on too thick. It is very hard to see pearls lay on when painting them ESPECIALLY if you are laying them on a same or light colored background.

Between Jackie and Bill’s reply’s they’ve covered anything I was going to. But I can add that SM Designs YouTube channel has some great tutorials for a lot of Createx products. Some of the mixing ratios have changed or been updated, so don’t rely on those on the videos. But the technique and application is still pretty well up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I totally agree, and like to "think" my prep is excellent, just always have an issue with only the pearls. Last 2 projects, peeled right off like latex. Aside from prep, I think I may not be reducing enough or spraying to thick, see my question on mixing with the transparent color. Hey. New at the solid color basecoat / specialty game, so I appreciate the feedback. May I ask what solvent based degreaser you use or may recommend? I was using denatured alcohol and realized that sure ain't the way the way to go. Using mineral spirits now.

Oh, as for degreasers. For cleaning water based odorless mineral spirits is the only product recommended by createx and is the standard for any acrylic paint.
As for before prep, I use water based w&g remover. And I’ll catch hell but windex or alcohol on small part wipe down . Once I lay autobourne., I almost never clean again other than a tack rag.

What surface are you painting this on? I read it was a life size horse but what is it made of? Fiberglass , plastic or metal. That will determine how to tell you what prep work is needed being each have their own way of having to be prepped.
As Bill said if you are using the pearls of metallic as a base you will have to seal it in mainly due to it does not lay even and even if you de-tack the tape it can still grab the paint and pull it up.
If you really want a pop to the silver base use http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Sparklescent_Bada_Bing_Silver it has a different brightness to it vs the autoborne .

Between Jackie and Bill’s reply’s they’ve covered anything I was going to. But I can add that SM Designs YouTube channel has some great tutorials for a lot of Createx products. Some of the mixing ratios have changed or been updated, so don’t rely on those on the videos. But the technique and application is still pretty well up to date.

Indeed thats the go to on createx products. If you ask createx about more product info they will send you there : 0

Indeed thats the go to on createx products. If you ask createx about more product info they will send you there : 0
Sure, between their channel and the Data sheets, you’re pretty well covered.

Thanks all for the comments. I think I just need to keep my head on straight, focus and be very technical on my application on this one, and all should go well. I have a couple of days before starting, I'll post some progress pics and updates

I found that createx acrylic paint compared to the solvent based is a nightmare when it comes to taping. Endless drying time could be a problem. Layers don't bond well if the previous layer is thoroughly cured and smooth. There is not enough solvents to reactivate cured layer (add some reducer). I suspect cross linking issues. It's just my observation.

Transparents over pearl looks fantastic.

Last edited:
Back