Trident VS. Wicked/AA VS. Etac PS

B

Blackthorne

I want opinions... i want to paint on everything but focus on helmets. My setting is inside my house so i want something completly or almost odorless. If possible something i can only spray water too clean my brush between colors change.

I have actually complete regular createx set that i buy with my first cheap ebay brush but i heard its not lightfast and suitable for exterior use...

I look for wicked/aa, trident, etac ...

I've try comart, dont like it and heard its more for illustration... I've try Fastkolor too but its for lexan (rc bodies) only...

I have hp-bc1+ with 0,3mm and an eclipse hp-bcs with 0,5mm i use only with metalics colors...

Ty

Envoyé depuis mon Android via Tapatalk 4!

Last edited by a moderator:
Opinions are like assholes...as the saying goes. :)

Given what you are doing, any of the Wicked/AA, Trident , or ETAC PS would work great for helmets.
All three of those paints are probably more expensive than Com-Art though.

Never tried Trident, not easy enough to get in the US

Wicked/AA and ETAC have high pigment loads and cover great. ETAC is better with tip dry than Wicked, but the W500 Reducer does help quite a bit with that.
Get a bottle of each and see what works best for you. White is always the worst for tip dry in any paint. A small bottle of black and white should give you a feel for how the paints work for the most part.

Everyone has a paint that they like over another paint like jagardn said; personally I'm not a real fan of wicked I do like some of ETAC paint but I don't care for how tacky it stays; unless you add something to it.

I spray Trident at home in my basement; clearing is another issue, I don't spray that stuff in the house; in the winter I take it to a local shop and they will clear my panels for me and it really doesn't cost much

SVEE did a TRIDENT review here is a link to it: Trident Water based Airbrush Paint Review - YouTube and here is another link to a review done by Rod Fuchs: - Trident Reviews

Trident is available in North America now. here is a link http://www.mapleairbrushsupplies.com/default.asp we offer flat rate shipping 15.00 almost anywhere in North America and for our friends down south of the border there are absolutely NO DUTY OR TAXES on the paint when it's crossing the border. Shipping is pretty quick takes 5 or 6 business days to get to Florida from us.

Like i said on the other post... its possible to get samples?

No more feedbacks?

Well even on helmets , Cars , bikes and what ever else I paint I do erasing , Scratching and whatever else it take to get the out come of the painting.
But like you thought I would never be doing that ,

AutoAir is a great paint system with everything from opaques , Transparent , pearls, metallic , chameleon , iridescent and pigment Candys.
Blake McCully aka cross-eye uses nothing but AutoAir and does some killer paint jobs.
if you do not know his work you can check it out here:Cross-Eyed Airbrushing

But heat setting is very important when using Autoair as it is with any water based paint system.
But I think once you learn to use the system you will love it.

I have use all the paints you have listed,
Trident , Main issue I have with it beside the cost for me here in the USA , Was even with heat setting I would get paint lift on tape outs. but coverage and the way it works and reduces so it can be used as a type of pigment candy is cool .
Wicked is a great system But lacks the choice that AutoAir offers on different effects you would find on helmets and automotive work.
Etac by far gives the less tip dry

But it is just my opinion on what I have found works best for me.
But being I paint in my detached garage I also use a lot of HOK urethane paint and kandies.

But I do suggest that you try and get samples of all the paints and give them a try your self and find out what works best for you.

how is it they say heat setting is so impotent when i used wicked black and left it in my renegade to long i needed to have to use an agressive impliment like green scotch brite to get it out and also to wash it off any thing it spilled on lol just curious for me for now its com art etac and last spectra tex and yes whenever i get my cash i will try trident as for the best white ive tried i love etac efx white next spectra tex white

how is it they say heat setting is so impotent when i used wicked black and left it in my renegade to long i needed to have to use an agressive impliment like green scotch brite to get it out and also to wash it off any thing it spilled on lol just curious for me for now its com art etac and last spectra tex and yes whenever i get my cash i will try trident as for the best white ive tried i love etac efx white next spectra tex white

LOL I have been trying to figure that out too But even if I let the helmet sit for a month and come back too it and tape on it with out running a heat gun on it it pulls up... one of the great mysteries of life:D

I will agree E'tac does have the best flowing White , But spectra tex to my understanding is not colorfast but I may be wrong on that.

I used aa for some custom bikes already. But mainly for backgrounds and larger areas. I like the base coats and effect colors very much. For details i find it not very good to spray through small nozzles. But it is probably a experience thing. For details I use etac ps which flows very well covers good enough and works fine with AA. Also i prefer reducing mainly with water than having to use a certain reducer all the time.
Greetings, René

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk

the createx line AA and Wicked have by far the best selection of colors and special effects acrylic paint Period.. that for me at least makes it a no brainer

But being I paint in my detached garage.

AA dont have solvent at all? Ive heard it have a bit solvent in? Because i paint inside my house in my "office", i dont have garage so... i dont want a solvent smell inside the house...

AA dont have solvent at all? Ive heard it have a bit solvent in? Because i paint inside my house in my "office", i dont have garage so... i dont want a solvent smell inside the house...

Looking at the MSDS (Material safety data sheet) : there are no hazardous materials reported on it. Which means no special storage is needed and no solvent,

Here is the link for the sheet http://www.dick-blick.com/msds/DBH_253111704.pdf

Oh and Alcohol is considered a solvent but a lot of folks drink that solvent daily:D

Last edited:
And have a big difference with the reducer and high performance reducer?

And have a big difference with the reducer and high performance reducer?

The W500 (high performance) reducer is great and really does cut out most fo the tip dry issues .
The W100 works good
But you can use 1 part W100 to 3 parts W500 and it makes the paint shoot smooth.

I would say as far as money wise, Spectra Tex is the way to go. I have a great friend (professional airbrusher) who used Spectra Tex on his wifes tailgate to see how it weathered in the elements. He painted Tow-Mater on it and he said it looks great! So I would saw to use the Spectra Tex paints, #1, great product made by Badger, #2 sprays great and #3 you can reduce it with water!!! Money savings all the way around! I myself use Wicked, Auto Air, Etac and Spectra Tex and really like them all. I haven't personally tried Spectra Tex outdoors but definitely trust Rick Primeau's opinion!!! I wish they all smelled as good as the Etac does, that stuff smells like candy, haha. I know the price may seem expensive on the Wicked/AA and Etac paints, but if you think about how far a 2oz bottle or 4oz bottle will go its really not that expensive!! Best of luck to ya!!

The W500 (high performance) reducer is great and really does cut out most fo the tip dry issues .
The W100 works good
But you can use 1 part W100 to 3 parts W500 and it makes the paint shoot smooth.

You mean to use both?

I found 2 bottle of auto air in my stuff but i dont have reducer ... i need w100 and w500?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean to use both?

I found 2 bottle of auto air in my stuff but i dont have reducer ... i need w100 and w500?

Either one will work by them self ,but if you happen to have both you can mix them and that seems to work even better.

Ok.

Can I use AA on everything or only on hard surfaces? They say (on website) you can use it only on hard surfaces.

Ok.

Can I use AA on everything or only on hard surfaces? They say (on website) you can use it only on hard surfaces.

I have used it on everything But it is designed for hard surfaces..

Back