Tru-Color Model Paints

D

Dave_D55

Hi everyone,

There is a company named Tru-Color that produces a broad line of solvent based, railroad-specific colors. Really specific colors like "Milwaukee Road 1930-50's Freight Car Brown", etc. As a model railroader, these look attractive.

Does anyone have any airbrushing experience with Tru-Color? Any advice?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi everyone,

There is a company named Tru-Color that produces a broad line of solvent based, railroad-specific colors. Really specific colors like "Milwaukee Road 1930-50's Freight Car Brown", etc. As a model railroader, these look attractive.

Does anyone have any airbrushing experience with Tru-Color? Any advice?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, I have no experience with that specific paint line. However, I do have some experience with solvent based paints. Make sure you use a respirator that will filter out organic solvents and you spray under a paint hood. Don't want the paint spray blowing around and inhaling those fumes!

HellBird: Thank you for your advice / warning. I am planning on getting proper safety equipment (respirator and paint booth) - another area to learn about.

Dave

Dave, I've sent you a PM with a link to another forum, its bad manners to link to other forums :)

In short, for others info:
yes you can spray through an airbrush.

the Tru color website suggests
"a starting pressure of 28 PSI. This will vary according to the type (make and model) of the airbrush you are using, tip size and the desired quantity of paint you wish to deliver to the model. The optimum pressure, we find, is between 28-35 PSI."

"Tru-Color Paint can be diluted, if needed, for ease of application. Please use TCP-015, Thinner, or TCP-310 Retarder for dilution of Tru-Color Paint as it has the blend of solvents that will not interfere with the drying time or the gloss or semi-gloss finish that Tru-Color Paint is intended to give."

"We suggest that you use acetone (nail polish remover without any scent) to clean-up your airbrush and paint cups. This dries quickly and removes all residual Tru-Color Paint cleanly."
Always rinse the brush well after using any of them. thinners etc like to eat o-rings and seals.

I hope that helps some. I've learnt something about a brand of paint I hadnt heard of :)

Back