Tshirt help

A

Anazoth

I've been trying to make tshirts and keep messing it up. I am trying plain black silhouette shirts by placing the stencil on the shirt with glue, coating it in black paint and removing the stencil.

when the stencil is removed i notice that the lines are blurred around the edges as if the shirt is absorbing the pains under the stencil, i am guessing i am mixing the paint wrong or standing too close or something. Can someone tell me the correct paint to water ratio for this project (createx opaque) and how much psi to set me compressor to and any other tips to make perfect tshirts?

Thanks! :stung:

For spraying on a stencil you should need little to no thinning of your paints. Thicker textile paints require around 40-50psi. Also, how heavy are you laying the paint on? If you over saturate the fabric it may be wicking outside the stencil lines. Try doing more passes with less paint per pass.

Hi Anazoth

This problem is happening because you have thinned the paint, generally the guys who do T-shirts almost full time use bottom fed airbrushes with a tip size 0.5 or greater, they work with their colours straight out of the bottle and work at high speed usually betwwen 45 and 60 psi (hence the speed) they work like this so that paint goes right into the fabric so that there is less chance of the colours washing out in the machine, they will sometimes heat set between colours to stop them running into each other.

If you stand too far away from your shirts, you will be hitting the surface of the fabric only and there is a good chance it will wash out in 3 - 5 washes, I stay away form shirts because of the ridiculous amount of paint they need, what you on the surface is probably one tenth of what you used in total, assuming it was done in the right way.

You might want to check this guy out, I know he looks weird and it's a long video but he does explain a lot, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sKOT5zo9ac

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, going to cost a fortune lol. Any idea where to get cheap paint for t-shirts? Looking to make customized tshirts for profit but using createx will cost too much to make! :D

Wow, going to cost a fortune lol. Any idea where to get cheap paint for t-shirts? Looking to make customized tshirts for profit but using createx will cost too much to make! :D

I'm afraid I can't help with that one A, I avoid the t-shirts for that reason and I only ever use Schminke aerocolour paints which are not very good for shirts without adding special mediums, most airbrush paints generally retail around the same price, so unless you find a special offer or somebody with load of it who's giving, we all just have to pay for it.

Maybe some of the others know something I don't, which isn't hard, your location would be handy for better advice.

Back