Ultrasonic Cleaners & Lacqures/Enamel Paints

G

Greg Little

I`m looking for some advise on table top ultra sonic cleaners. My media of chose are lacquers and occasionally enamels. With the type of lacquers I use (automotive quality thinned accordingly) I have run lacquer thinner to clear brush. I am considering getting a small table top ultrasonic to help with cleaning and maintaining my three (Paasche/Badger/Harder & Steenbeck)) bushes. It was recommended that I get a unit that has a heated tank (SharperTek CD-4810). The sales rep stated: "Just and warm tap water to the tank select the amount of time you wish and the system will ultrasonically remove the debris." I`ve even seen YouTube video where air brush artist are using them. However, the are working with water based media like acrylics, tempera etc.
I aware that automotive quality lacquers and enamels require stronger solvents and thinners than the water based paints. Since the united is heated I do`nt want to run the risk of a fire or worst. So, if I don`t use some type of solvent will the unit will it thoroughly clean the residue from my airbrushes. And, if a need to use a solvent to get them truly clean does anyone have any recommendations of what is safe to use in an ultrasonic bath. Also, does anyone have any recommendation on a specific unit I should consider for the tack.

All feedback is welcome.

I've used a couple of ultrasonic cleaners in industrial/manufacturing tool cleaning.

It was always my experience that they were to be filled with nothing but water. Filling the entire unit with solvents is a fire and respiratory hazard. If you need something stronger to clean the parts you have, find a Pyrex beaker or container and fill that with the solvent you need, then place the beaker/container in the water in the ultrasonic bath. Even then, extremely good ventilation is a MUST. The ultrasonic waves will transfer through the water and the Pyrex into the solvent and clean your parts. After your parts are clean, you can remove the beaker and either strain and re-store the solvents, or dump it somewhere approved. This way, the ultrasonic cleaner is not directly exposed to harsh chemicals and solvents, making it last much longer.

Good tabletop units are still not cheap.

Hope this helps.

I've used a couple of ultrasonic cleaners in industrial/manufacturing tool cleaning.

It was always my experience that they were to be filled with nothing but water. Filling the entire unit with solvents is a fire and respiratory hazard. If you need something stronger to clean the parts you have, find a Pyrex beaker or container and fill that with the solvent you need, then place the beaker/container in the water in the ultrasonic bath. Even then, extremely good ventilation is a MUST. The ultrasonic waves will transfer through the water and the Pyrex into the solvent and clean your parts. After your parts are clean, you can remove the beaker and either strain and re-store the solvents, or dump it somewhere approved. This way, the ultrasonic cleaner is not directly exposed to harsh chemicals and solvents, making it last much longer.

Good tabletop units are still not cheap.

Hope this helps.

Csltrains thanks for the response.
Your feedback is very insightful. I also want to mention that after I mentioned to phone rep that I was using lacquers and enamels they suggested a product they carried that was supposedly designed to be used with heated ultrasonic cleaning applications called Shellac Buster. I have provided the advertised product uses below. My question is will a solvent of this nature harm the Teflon seal or rubber O-rings in the guns. Your thoughts on this are appropriated.

Engine & Carburetor Shellac
Removal
Varnish Removal
Carbon Removal
Auto Restoration
Cylinder Stripping
Adhesive Removal
Tank Cleaning
Degreasing & Rust Removal
Coatings Removal
Aircraft Stripping
E-Coat Removal
Paint Overspray
Paint Removal
Powder Coat Removal
Resin Removal

The only parts you should put in the solvent/ultrasonic cleaner are the nozzle,cap,and maybe the front of the airbrush the rest should just be wiped off, Don't put any o-rings,seals in it as it might cause them to swell or break

I got a cheap ultra sonic cleaner for $20 on Amazon. I'm sure what you're talking about is much better at cleaning but what I got works fairly well for cleaning extra junk out of my airbrush.

As Basepaint has stated, only a few of the airbrush parts should really need to ever be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. As for the Teflon seals, I can't comment, but rubber (in my line of work it is known as Viton) will eventually be attacked and decay when exposed to solvents and chemicals.

Back