Urgently need advice please

Mat

Double Actioner
Hi all i have a chance of getting a Stanley Bostitch 25 litre 1.5 HP compressor cheap but the dials dont work can i still airbrush with this and does anyone know what it costs for a new set of dials etc need an urgent answer if possible as don't want to miss out :)

Hi all i have a chance of getting a Stanley Bostitch 25 litre 1.5 HP compressor cheap but the dials dont work can i still airbrush with this and does anyone know what it costs for a new set of dials etc need an urgent answer if possible as don't want to miss out :)

If it the compressor it'self is working fine you can install your own water/pressure gauge, you can get these at any compressor shop or DIY stores that sell compressors, just be sure that the maximum BAR is equal to or more than your compressor can, you may also need fittings for converting normal compressor size coupling to airbrush size.

Thank's ever so much Madbrush ;) i also went to look at an Einell 25 litre compressor thought i might get away with the noise but when he switched it on it was so so loud 94db crickey i thought ..........should i buy it and THEN explain how loud it is to the other half how noisy it isn't whilst sleeping in the back garden.....needless to say i didn't buy it ans it was only £40 do you or anyone else know any compressors that are between 65 and 75 db that don't cost the earth ??? If you could point a lost soul in the right direction i'd be extremely grateful ;) and i wouldn't end up in the back garden with ones dog ;))

Hi Mat

Your welcome, I'm sure what the best compressor is for you, but a lot of the guys her are keen on the Bambie compressors which make even less noise than you mentioned, but you may wish to check this out;

Bambi BB15V Silent Air Compressor - Aircomps Air Compressors

Some of the guys here have this or another model from the same company, they are apparently very quiet, certainly a lot less than 65db, I'm not sure how much you want to lay out for one but this one ideal, If I had the money I would get one myself.

Cheers Madbrush but that is a tad expensive at the mo *DROOLS OVER THE BAMBI* lol.
This maybe a ridiculous idea but you know the twin piston compressors with a 3.5 litre tank on them is it possible to fill a larger tank say 15 to 25 litres from that and then draw from the larger tank only when i need to cover larger areas when priming and top coating??, as what i need to prime and top coat is are only roughly 2.5 ft x 1.5 ft piece of MDF and that will have alot of it cut out...meaning intricate scroll work....I reckon i'm living in cloud cuckoo land but i'm on a budget as not working as waiting for an operation so money is an issue as i have heard that a 3.5 litre tank will not cover what i need.....Is this right as i thought i may getaway with an 0.8 needle on an airbrush...It's a minefield and as it's all new to me have no idea....OH i forgot to say i need to have a quiet set up as i will be working in a room right under my daughters bedroom.
If you could shed any light on any of ones crack pot ideas i'd be very very grateful Madbrush ;)

Cheers Madbrush but that is a tad expensive at the mo *DROOLS OVER THE BAMBI* lol.
This maybe a ridiculous idea but you know the twin piston compressors with a 3.5 litre tank on them is it possible to fill a larger tank say 15 to 25 litres from that and then draw from the larger tank only when i need to cover larger areas when priming and top coating??, as what i need to prime and top coat is are only roughly 2.5 ft x 1.5 ft piece of MDF and that will have alot of it cut out...meaning intricate scroll work....I reckon i'm living in cloud cuckoo land but i'm on a budget as not working as waiting for an operation so money is an issue as i have heard that a 3.5 litre tank will not cover what i need.....Is this right as i thought i may getaway with an 0.8 needle on an airbrush...It's a minefield and as it's all new to me have no idea....OH i forgot to say i need to have a quiet set up as i will be working in a room right under my daughters bedroom.
If you could shed any light on any of ones crack pot ideas i'd be very very grateful Madbrush ;)

Hi Mat I wouldn't say it's impossible to fill a larger tank, but the compressor could be subject to over heating and this would do it no favours at all.

Is it possible to put your loud compressor into say a garage or shed and run a hose from there into the house?, if you can you can attach an external water trap and pressure gauge close your work area, all that is important is that you can separate the extra water that would be generated by a longer hose and you can see what pressure your using.

I work also on MDF panels for practice purposes, but I never spray them, I simply apply 2 or 3 coats of acrylic primer with a foam roller, you can easily sand this flat when your done, spraying something like this inside the house generates an incredible amount of dust/over-spray, this detrimental to your health and that of your daughter or anyone else, if you absolutely don't want to sleep with dog, I would say don't do it.

If you know anyone who is handy or if you are handy yourself, you can remove the motor from the compressor and replace it with an old refrigerator or freezer motor, you can usually find how to's on google for this type of thing, but you have to be sure that the fridge motor is powerful enough to handle what it's going to do, if your old motor was pumping at 8 bar, your fridge motor needs to do that as well, the Bambi's use the same type of motor.

I'm not that clever at working on compressors but I do understand what can be done, but I think the best idea is to run a hose from your garage or shed if you have one.

Back