US Art supply airbrush paint

crazyvet

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Well the time has come for me to buy some more paint, I have been using cheap acrylic paint reduced down and some of this Us art supply airbrush paint. http://www.usartsupply.com/USAAB-KIT-12-TRN

My question is has anybody else used this paint and if so is it worth buying again? I am using a cheap master g23 AB and do not have enough expience to know if its good or not ( I am able to paint with it but wouldnt know if its spaying well because it spays better than watered down cheap acrylics lol )

on a side note I will be buying an Iwata eclipse HP-CS next week so that may change any advise you all give on paint choice

Well the time has come for me to buy some more paint, I have been using cheap acrylic paint reduced down and some of this Us art supply airbrush paint. http://www.usartsupply.com/USAAB-KIT-12-TRN

My question is has anybody else used this paint and if so is it worth buying again? I am using a cheap master g23 AB and do not have enough expience to know if its good or not ( I am able to paint with it but wouldnt know if its spaying well because it spays better than watered down cheap acrylics lol )

on a side note I will be buying an Iwata eclipse HP-CS next week so that may change any advise you all give on paint choice
What are you trying to paint? That helps determine what paint to use. Are you just doing drawings? Do you want paints that can be used straight out of the bottle or thinned with just water? Got a bunch of options. Does the US Art Supply airbrush paint work well for you?

I guess I should have mentioned what I was painting lol.
I am just drawing mainly. I paint on card stock and poster board. I paint alot of skulls and creepy stuff like that.
I do want a water based paint.
So far the us art supply stuff works fine for me however I have nothing to compare it to. If all you ever ate were hotdogs you would never know if steak was good lol.
I am not above upgrading all my supplies I just started cheap being new to this and not sure I would like it or not.
7 months later and 20-30 hrs a week airbrushing I figured it would be time to get a little bit better equiped lol

I wonder who's actually making the paints.

You're about the only person I've seen using that brand. Which means not many people know just how good it is. Some paints do a better job depending on the technique someone is using. Erasing is a prime example

I wonder who's actually making the paints.

You're about the only person I've seen using that brand. Which means not many people know just how good it is. Some paints do a better job depending on the technique someone is using. Erasing is a prime example
I know TCPglobal is the parent company of Us art supply but no Idea who actually make the paint

I know TCPglobal is the parent company of Us art supply but no Idea who actually make the paint
Your up and coming Eclipse HP-CS I think is a .35 mm nozzle. Should handle pretty much anything except possibly metallic colors. Flakes and pearls usually need larger nozzles, like .5mm. You can get a .5mm conversion kit for the Eclipse (nozzle, air cap, and needle). Just don't mix them up with your normal set. You will get odd results.
I'm curious how those US Art Supply paints spray. Have some holiday projects coming up soon (T-Shirts and craft items) and Createx Illustrator and Iwata Com-Art aren't really a fit for textiles.

Your up and coming Eclipse HP-CS I think is a .35 mm nozzle. Should handle pretty much anything except possibly metallic colors. Flakes and pearls usually need larger nozzles, like .5mm. You can get a .5mm conversion kit for the Eclipse (nozzle, air cap, and needle). Just don't mix them up with your normal set. You will get odd results.
I'm curious how those US Art Supply paints spray. Have some holiday projects coming up soon (T-Shirts and craft items) and Createx Illustrator and Iwata Com-Art aren't really a fit for textiles.
To me they spray pretty good. some colors better than other. I do have to reduce them down about 1:1 for a nice smooth spray. Please do not take my word for how good they are. I have only used them and cheap arcylic paint mixed with water. I am no expert on what a decent spraying AB paint should look like lol

My only recommendation is to pop down to the store and buy a couple bottles of paint. (Once you've figured out what brands are recommended for water thinning of course) Try them out and see what you like. There is no substitute for hands on experience.

My only recommendation is to pop down to the store and buy a couple bottles of paint. (Once you've figured out what brands are recommended for water thinning of course) Try them out and see what you like. There is no substitute for hands on experience.
I live in a small town with no retailers that carry airbrush paint. well 1 art store that has 1 pack of createx primary color pack that has been on their self for at least 2 years. Next time I travel I do plan on buying several differnt brands and trying them out. in the meantime I was just wondering if the US art supply stuff was any good. since I have to order online I can order any brand. I was just wondering if other forum members had any experience with it .

I live in a small town with no retailers that carry airbrush paint. well 1 art store that has 1 pack of createx primary color pack that has been on their self for at least 2 years. Next time I travel I do plan on buying several differnt brands and trying them out. in the meantime I was just wondering if the US art supply stuff was any good. since I have to order online I can order any brand. I was just wondering if other forum members had any experience with it .
Yep , same story here. In the middle of the finger lakes there are not many retailers who have airbrush paints (as in any within a 30-40 minute drive). And none of them have a comprehensive assortment. You'll never guess which finger lake I'm near.... ;)
Stuck with online ordering unless I want to drive to Buffalo (2 hrs) or Syracuse (1 hr). I still work, for now, so who has the time? Maybe get a primary kit and see?

I'm a truck driver... I can find you muhahaha! But Ill never bother you cuz who da hell wants to drive a semi to the Finger Lakes??? :p
lollol This is true! I won't be bothered, but you might;) You'd have to be careful too. Don't want anyone running over the Amish in their horse carts. We have quite a few in this neck of the woods...

@crazyvet, I was just cruising Amazon and noticed something about the US Art supply airbrush paint sets. They come with cleaner and reducer. Bet they're made by Createx and part of their standard Createx textile / craft paint line. Anyone else know otherwise?

If there working for you now for what your doing use em up as you pick up other paints to try you will find one you like a lot better then all the rest be it this paint or anothr brand if its working for you dont worry about it

Most if not all of TCPglobals house brands are chinese manufactured. I have used custom body art and some of their automotive products. They do a great job imitating popular brands for the most part.
Ive not used the US art supply paints but I've often thought about trying them. The reason I havent is because they are expensive. Yep, in the end they are expensive. (especially since i make my reducer for a couple dollars a gallon)
Though they sell for half to a third of the price, by the the time you reduce them the createx products would generally be 2-6 times the quantity.

I would also put wicked as a little better than watered down mid grade artist acrylic (masters touch specifically) for illustration and interior purposes so I would guess that USart are probably on par with wicked when used for interior purposes, almost certainly when used on cardstock. Sprayability is basically the only factor there since nothing will really erase well from it and 99 cent watercolor would be as durable as necessary.

Createx Illustration is very superior to wicked for illustration because of its ability to do very fine detail and for erasing.

In short, Id agree with BP. But if you wanted to try something else id recommend CI or maybe com-art or etac or something. I think for your purposes only paints that are intended for illustration are going to show any significant difference.

I think it comes down to purpose though, I have a favorite for each purpose myself.
In just water based its like this
Fabric- badger
leather, rubber, synthetic fabric- jacquard
Walls- masters touch and folkart
Hard surface base colors- Testors aztek
Hard surface artwork-wicked
Really tiny detail on anything- CI (with 4030 when appropriate)
Posterboard- whatever, it all works. Maybe a slight lean toward comart if it were cheaper.

Last edited:
Back