Used Sil Air

C

Chalee

I picked up a used Silentaire Sil-Air 50-9-D Air Compressor from ebay for 350 bucks. Some oil spilled while shipping but you could still see the oil level at about the 1/2 way mark in the "sight bubble". After a nice wipe down with some de-greaser I fired it up and purged the tank. There was about 1/2 or so ounces of oil and water in there. Looks like it may not have been drained in a while. Is this normal?

I'm going to let it sit over night then purge it again. I also put an airfilter between the tank and the regulator and another after the regulator before the hose. I figure that along with the pistol grip Iwata filter I'll be O.K.

There is a bit of an odor when releasing the air from the air through the filters but I held a tissue paper up and there doesn't seem to any oil at all collecting on the paper. So I don't think there will be any getting in the line. This is the first silent compressor I've purchased. So I recon an oil change is probably due another purge of the tank.

Any tips on maintenance etc.

Yes that is normal . The instruction that came with mine said to purge the tank at least once a month. But that is using it 8 hours a day 5 days a week for the one I have at work and the one I have at home I do about once every two months being it may only run an hour or so a day.
With the oil mixed in with water in the tank you will get an odor for a short time . But it goes away .
Just run it and use it . the one I use at work is 7 years old and the one at the house is 6 and both still working great.
I do change the oil in them yearly . But that is just me.

Thank you Mr. Micron. Paying 350 for something almost three times as much my paranoia just kicks in. Can't wait for some brushing this weekend. Now that I have this I can airbrush well into the evening without bugging the upstairs landlord so I won't have to wait until the weekends to get to work!!!

Thank you Mr. Micron. Paying 350 for something almost three times as much my paranoia just kicks in. Can't wait for some brushing this weekend. Now that I have this I can airbrush well into the evening without bugging the upstairs landlord so I won't have to wait until the weekends to get to work!!!
Nope that thing lives up to it's name . Oh forgot to say the one here at work runs at 70PSI it run all the air rams on the Kasemake (C&C plotting machine) But it really does not kick on as much as I thought it would .
The one at home I run maybe at 40PSI when I am using the Mini Sata spray gun but most times it is 10 to 20 PSI .
I do not blame you to worry about buying a used unit . But you should be fine being they do make a long lasting product.

Herb is the man! Saves the day again! :)

I think compressors get shipped without oil usually, so something to keep in mind in the back of my lonely brain cell for future ref, if buying used, ask for it to be drained. But doesn't seem like it's an issue, so enjoy your new toy and painting on into the night!

Back