Using a compressor

Pascal-A

Gravity Guru
Hello,
I want to sell my compressor.
But if I buyer asks me to demonstrate it so he / she can see if it works, is it ok to switch the compressor on like that?
I always used my compressor with an airbrush, but my airbrush is sold already so I have nothing to connect to the compressor...
Can switchin on a compressor without anything conected damage the compressor?
It's a Sil-Air 20 A

Turning on the compressor won't hurt it. It would be the same as turning it on with your airbrush attached to it. I would suggest, and I think it is recommended, not to unplug it until it fills and shuts off automatically. Once it does fill and shut off you can pull the plug.

To drain the air out pull the pop-off pin up until it empties the tank of air. That way you are ready for the next demo.

This is assuming that there is a QC fitting on it so it will build air and stop. If there isn't one you will need to attach something to it, a hose with an air chuck, a tire filler air cap, an air tool of some type or ?. You would need it to hold air until it shuts off.

Turning on the compressor won't hurt it. It would be the same as turning it on with your airbrush attached to it. I would suggest, and I think it is recommended, not to unplug it until it fills and shuts off automatically. Once it does fill and shut off you can pull the plug.

To drain the air out pull the pop-off pin up until it empties the tank of air. That way you are ready for the next demo.

This is assuming that there is a QC fitting on it so it will build air and stop. If there isn't one you will need to attach something to it, a hose with an air chuck, a tire filler air cap, an air tool of some type or ?. You would need it to hold air until it shuts off.
I don't know what a QC fitting is. My compressor has a connector where I can just plug in the air wire. Then it makes a click sound and it's connected. For fast and easy connecting.
Does this mean that this blocks the air as long I don't connect the air wire?
In that case I can test it as long there is no air wire connected. right?

Airbrush 10.jpg

Yes sir. That is a QC (Quick Connect) fitting. It should let you build air and shut off with no hose attached.

Last edited:
Great. Thank you. I tested it like that - no hose - the compressor increased air until the selected presure and then stopped.
Then after a switch off, by connecting the hose, it let flow the air pressure away.
No explosions, no smoke, no electricity sparks :laugh:
Thank you :)

Great. Thank you. I tested it like that - no hose - the compressor increased air until the selected presure and then stopped.
Then after a switch off, by connecting the hose, it let flow the air pressure away.
No explosions, no smoke, no electricity sparks :laugh:
Thank you :)

You are quite welcome:). Glad to have helped. I hope you find a buyer for it:thumbsup:.

Hi mate, I was just gonna post about the Sil-Air 20A (& 15D model), and I saw this thread.

How quiet is it in reality?
How much airbrushing can you get before it needs to refill?

This is quieter & more compact than the Bambi 24L I was looking to get. And half the price.
I can't decide between a 24L tank vs more frequent but quieter motor.
Thanks

I have just one little tip with your compressor would be to find the water drain, Turn on your compressor when it stops, unplug the power cable take it outside onto the grass and crack open the drain valve on the bottom of the air tank you should not need to take it off just wind it out till you hear hissing then place on level ground dirty watery foam liquid should come out of drain valve...

I have just one little tip with your compressor would be to find the water drain, Turn on your compressor when it stops, unplug the power cable take it outside onto the grass and crack open the drain valve on the bottom of the air tank you should not need to take it off just wind it out till you hear hissing then place on level ground dirty watery foam liquid should come out of drain valve...

Water drain ? I can not follow...

Back