using 'outline' stencils

B

bigSi

Hi
I see some stencils for sale that just mark the outline of the design like this one
$(KGrHqN,!qEFG0tnvfYUBRwv)J57W!~~60_12.JPG
My question is how to use this, I was thinking that you spray over the gaps to "mark" the pattern (like carbon paper) , but then to fill it in you would need to have masks that fit the curves etc perfectly. So do you cut these "secondary" masks ? or something else ?

Cheers, Si

Usually a stencil like that is just for mapping. Then you would freehand the rest, using freehand shields or masking as needed, whatever the need of the job requires. For a super clean, hard edge, cover the surface with tape/masking paper, and spray the stencil, then cut out the innder design, leaving the exterior( negative) mask in place. Then place the stencil back in and spray your map , and go from there.

Usually a stencil like that is just for mapping. Then you would freehand the rest, using freehand shields or masking as needed, whatever the need of the job requires. For a super clean, hard edge, cover the surface with tape/masking paper, and spray the stencil, then cut out the innder design, leaving the exterior( negative) mask in place. Then place the stencil back in and spray your map , and go from there.

Exactly. I personally would never buy these types as I can easily make them myself with a printer and an hobby knife.
See this video for the basics Kustom Stencil Making w/ Cory Saint Clair

Back