Using Tube Watercolors

M

Minouris

Hi all :)

I'm just starting out, painting models, but I also want to try to shift from digital art to paper.

I'm thinking of picking up a tray of watercolor tubes, so I can dilute and shoot them (mostly because it's a lot cheaper than acrylics, and I already spent a fortune on supplies ;)).

Are these paints safe with an airbrush? Most of the ones sold locally are either bound with gum arabic, or don't have their binder labelled on the tube, so I'm a bit hesitant about just jumping in...

What solvents would I use to clean an airbrush after watercolors? I have acetone, Tamiya acrylic thinner, and Tamiya airbrush cleaner.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, you can put them through the airbrush, yes, you reduce watercolours with water, yes, you clean the brush out with water...

No, they won't work very well, yes, it will look patchy and crap.

The pigments are much coarser than what is used for an airbrush, all in all it won't be very satisfactory.

Couple of things to do... first, please be polite and go to the intro section and say Hi properly, where are you, what gear do you use, that sort of thing. Second, but paint suitable for use through an airbrush. Yes, they are expensive but they last a long time.

Just about any of those solvents should be fine to clean with. Try to avoid the acetone in the trigger area. Because of the rubber seals.
Your paint path in the brush is basically all brass,chrome, stainless and teflon so you can see why its not real sensitive to what cleaner.
The paint wont be ideal as basically the only ideal paints for airbrush are either made for airbrush or are automotive paints but it should work. Ive used about every craft paint there is for practice or bs work. There is some merit to practicing with the paint you intend to actually use though.

Strain it for sure once youve thinned it down for use though or youll be rather frustrated with clogs.

Now I've read where you're from, get yourself down to Gordon Harris there at 182 Vivian Street and get some Golden high Flow acrylics. If you only get one, buy shading grey and get some trans base. That will stand you in good stead for playing around.

Now I've read where you're from, get yourself down to Gordon Harris there at 182 Vivian Street and get some Golden high Flow acrylics. If you only get one, buy shading grey and get some trans base. That will stand you in good stead for playing around.

Thanks man, I'll pop by on my next supply run :) I might try the French Art Shop on Ghuznee as well, and see what they've got.

Back in the day there WERE no "specific for airbrush" paints.
While it's true you'll get more clogging than with a modern speciality paint, it shouldn't be a huge deal - people were using exceptionally fine and finicky Paasche Turbos with pretty ordinary paint.
Tube (intended for brush) acrylics, water colours and gouache should all be cheaper than that new fangled 50% water, 200% more expensive stuff! ;-)
Most of my old books recommend gouache (at least for beginners) because it's opaque. Watercolours are transparent, which introduces another level of difficulty. Thin with water to a milk consistency. Clean with water and/or an airbrush cleaner for water based paint - I like the Airbrush Academy stuff, but doubt if you'll find it in NZ.

@fingers99 Thanks, that's definitely worth considering :) A few books I got from the library said similar things... I'm dubious about gouache (I'm not in a hurry to shoot chalk through a new brush), but I'm tempted to experiment with a few different paints. I do quite like the whole patchy, Rebecca Guay-style watercolour art.

I like the Airbrush Academy stuff, but doubt if you'll find it in NZ.

I'm sure Mick at the Airbrush Academy posts worldwide. Not sure what the postage cost would be though...

There has been a lot of success using watercolour tube paints, but I personally stick to airbrush specific paint to reduce any issues that could arise and they still do occasionally even with airbrush paints.

Lee

Thanks man, I'll pop by on my next supply run :) I might try the French Art Shop on Ghuznee as well, and see what they've got.
They stock Liquitex. and Daler-Rowney inks. Gordon and Harris also do Schminke.

They stock Liquitex. and Daler-Rowney inks. Gordon and Harris also do Schminke.

I popped along to both stores yesterday, and ended up opting for a set of golden high flow primaries + titanium white - turns out they're having a sale on their golden paints :)

Overall, I found that the paints from GH were a bit less expensive than those from the FAS, but some of their other consumables were more expensive - I got a roll of frisket film from FAS for roughly two thirds the price that GH were selling it for, for example.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having a play :)

Back