Using up paint very quickly...

P

Photon Fox

Hi, total newbie here.

Tried out my new Iwata Eclipse airbrush today (using an Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet Pro compressor). My issue is that I'm using up the paint in the cup very quickly, and the coverage seems poor.

The paint I'm using is some basic artists acrylic that I thinned with water, and then added Golden airbrush medium to. The finished mixture would've been just a tad thicker than water, maybe like skim milk? Is this the wrong consistency?

Cheers.

Hi Fox!:)
Seems like I know what the moderators will tell you about your first post here;)

About your paint. It's overreduced. Milk consistency would be better in your situation. Don't stop experimenting with the reduction you'll find right one for ya:)
I had that experience with art acrylics:confused: I'd say it's headache bacause of fast tip clogging and tip dry. It's impossible to work with 0.2mm nozzle! When starting with 0.3mm or bigger nozzle is much better to work. But generally those paits from the tubes aren't that we need for ABing.
I used Daeler Rowney System 3, Marabu and some chinese acrilycs and should say there's not much difference between them. All of them are not for ABing:)

Try to buy normal AB paints. Many people here like E-tac.

Last edited:
Hi Vladimir, :)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I probably should've just gone with proper AB paints, but I'm on a budget and was so keen to get started! Thanks for the tip about the consistency though. :)

As for the comment about the moderators; did I do something wrong? :(

No, it's almost OK:) Go here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ read netiquette first and create your introduction post;) Then you'll be forgiven, it's a joke:D

When I was starting ABing I think I was in the same budget situation as you so art acrylics were for the start. Now I use urethanes, they're great paints but their smells aren't perfect I'd say:) But charcoal filter respirator solves that problem. Good AB paints are not sold here so I have to order then from abroad. It's headache and it's also expensive so urethanes are all mine;)
When you'll be OK with money for ABing buy good paints. Read the thread about the paints here on the forum, people left a lot of info you can think about when choosing the brand.

The problem with tube paints is that the pigments are not ground as fine as airbrush paints. There's also not so much pigment in it as with airbrush paints. Tube paints are made to go on thick or many layers. You will have to buy really good paints if you want the quality and then you might as well just buy airbrush paint.

I'll 'officially welcome you once you've posted your introduction (I have been across there yet)
Starting out can be a big strain I know. But even if you buy one single bottle of the E'tac (I'd recommend that to newbies, less of a learning curve with % of reduction what type of reducers etc etc) you'll be on the right path.
E'tac can be used straight out of the bottle and reduced with water if you need detail. If you cup is emptying quickly then it's possible your pressure is way to high or your pulling the trigger all the way back. It's very rare you need to pull all the way back unless you doing a full coverage of a background.
Pressure would normally be around 20 psi depending on what you're substrate is (whatever you're paintin on. Paper/steel/tshirt)

Hope that helps in the short term. I'm off to check the introduction section :)

which model of Eclipse do you have ?

Last edited:
Well since you have been directed to the introduction section .
How much money are you wasting using the wrong stuff?
Proper airbrush paint is designed for airbrushing. Plus adding a transparent base or over reducing in with the wrong stuff just make the wrong stuff not cover which is why you are wasting even more of the wrong stuff..
But not having a proper introduction telling us thing like where on this planet you live makes it even harder to help you find place and maybe discounts to buy the right stuff.
If you lived in the USA and had a Hobby Lobby close to you I would suggest you printing off their 40% off anything in the store (1 for every family member you can talk into going with you) and buying some WICKED Detail 9made by createx) so after coupon a bottle would cost you about $3.50
It is designed to paint on almost every surface from textile to metal . and is the right stuff. make sure to pick up some of the W100 or W500 reducer

If you have hobby lobby they have a wicked set of primary colors and reducer which you can use a 40% off coupon on and get it cheap. I'd start with that. If you get something super cheap like createx regular AB paint then you'll just be frustrated and not want to keep up with AB. Bad paint takes all the fun out of it

Mr.Micron and Cpt.Nemo have the right idea, the Wicked kit at Hobby Lobby contains Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, White and Reducer. I bought this same kit using the 40% off coupon, and instead of costing $32.99 it only cost about $20. Really a good deal, and getting all the primaries gives you a good opportunity to learn how to mix colors to create all your secondaries, shades and highlights. I started keeping a color chart that contained ratio's of what colors I mixed to produce the final colors I used. Ive since bought the secondaries and a few of the commonly used tertiaries, along with a few neutrals and most of the detail line.

More to your specific question, I found the difference between airbrush paints and non-airbrush specific paints almost night and day; how well they flowed, how often I needed to unclog the brush, how difficult cleaning was afterwards, how low pressure I could use to paint effectively, how grainy the output of the airbrush was, etc etc. All of these improved with proper paints, it really makes a huge difference.

As mentioned proper AB paint has finer pigment for better flow, but also more pigment for better coverage. You will literally only need a few drops of paint (depending on how large the area you want to paint of of course:) ), but much more reducer. So the 20z colours will go a super long way, but buy the large bottles of reducer, you will use it, and it works out cheaper that way.

Back