Using your thumb

otpowell

Double Actioner
I'm left handed, and instead of using my index finger, it seems like I have good control with my thumb too.. Anyone else use their thumb or always index finger?

just a cheeky finger here I'm afraid.....but whatever works for you I suppose buddy!

I think my finger just gets tired maybe and pulling the trigger is easier with the stronger thumb.. Lol I'm a weirdo.

what brush do you have, can you adjust the trigger tension on it to make it a bit easier?

I have iwata hp-cs.. My tigger is as loose as it gets while still being able to thread rear needle cover on. I adjust it just tight enough so the cover will thread on.

It's really not a big deal, just wondering if other people noticed that they have more or equal control with the thumb.. Never saw anyone use their thumb.

I'm a lefty too, but learned how to airbrush right handed... weird huh? Guess it goes back to learning calligraphy... it was easier to learn right handed, since I smudged everything trying to do it left handed... okay, way off topic now... Anyways, I notice if I go a few days without painting, my whole hand gets tired much faster than when I'm painting every day. I usually just shake them out and it usually works itself out, but I never thought about using my thumb... might feel kind of strange at this point.

I'm kinda ambidextrous too.. I'll try my right hand and see how it feels. Thank you ad fez & forever young!

I try to get a little airbrushing in everyday.. Even if its just one page of lines dots and daggers..

I'm left handed and use the standart grip . bur , for example , the great Giger use his thumb to paint with the airbrush

tumblr_m0fe6uIDAW1qjutm4o2_1280.jpg

Woah he uses both hands? That's talent

Yes , and when he switches hands while painting it is like he is his own mirror image.
You should really try to find H.R. Giger revealed Has video of him working on a painting and he switches from his right hand to his left . But which ever hand he has the airbrush in he uses his thumb to work the trigger.

Mike Learn, google him if you don't know, uses what is called "knuckle drag" style. He said that he was getting tendinitis, and had to switch grips styles.

I've had to adjust mine as well when I can remember to, because I grip my brush very tight when I go in for very small detail. Makes my hand ache.

I have iwata hp-cs.. My tigger is as loose as it gets while still being able to thread rear needle cover on. I adjust it just tight enough so the cover will thread on.

Hey buddy, try chopping the spring. I did with my Iwata HP-CS plus and it made a big difference with the smoothness and weight of pull back on my finger. It also stopped a bit of cramping too.

Cheers, Red

I've tried it and it just feels weird LOL, its funny though I reckon 50% of my students pick up a gun for the first time do exactly that, but whatever works for you m8, if it suits you it will produce similar works either way :)

I think I'll try chopping my spring a lil.. How much did u cut off Red Baron? About a quarter of it?

Back